8 ball pool at Rileys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 ball pool at Rileys

Here's another thread to have a go at Rileys snooker/pool clubs.

A couple of weeks ago i started having a knock around at 8 ball pool at Rileys as i find it helps 'get my eye in' and get some confidence and cueing going before starting on the snooker.

Anyway, just wondered is it just me, or does anyone else find that the white balls they use are too light weight for the other balls ? The white seems to fly around like a ping pong ball - and it can be almost impossible to play delicate positioning. I have tried a different table with different sets of balls each time i go, and they all have the same problem to greater or lesser degrees.

I can understand that in pubs with coin operated slots they need the white to be slightly smaller so it gets released from in-offs. But even in pubs i have never before noticed such feeble ping pong white balls.

So, i would like to know is it just my local Rileys that does this, or is it a standard thing ?

Maybe its just because i havent played pool for a while and after playing snooker the white does feel too light in comparison ? But even so it is definately significantly lighter than the other balls.
    Last edited by dannyd0g; 29 February 2008, 11:21 PM.
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

its true, the ball is also smaller, I am GUESSING this is so the mechanism that sends the white to the end of the table in pubs must recognize the white ball over the other balls and this is how it does it. Rileys of course do not need to do this as they charge per hour not game as far as I know but they still follow the traditional and I suppose official rules of uk 8 ball that began in pubs perhaps.

Steve Davis is a heavy critic of the smaller and lighter white ball, but its all good fun and can be a good warm up for snooker in my opinion. Even though I hate some of the tactics and much prefer 9 ball and snooker.
    Admin of SnookerDB.com - Watch Snooker!!!

Comment

Hi
      not sure which rileys you went to, but i know barnsley/rotherham/sheffield hunters bar use official tournement balls..

Comment

All the balls Riley's use are a joke, mismatched sets of snooker balls, where the reds vary from brownish to pinkish, 8 ball pool balls that react like ping pong balls or worse, American pool balls that are just sooooooooooo wrong, you can't even play jump shots cos the balls are so light they fly off the table. And the tables are a joke. The table cleaner in my local Riley's is only "allowed" to iron the snooker tables once every 3 weeks, no wonder they are doing the "7 day pass" allowing free snooker or pool.
        I know its a rant, but I am unfortunate enough to work for this embarrassing company. My advice is to go elsewhere.
        I went into a chemist and asked for a deodorant, the assistant said "ball, stick or aerosol", "No, I want it for under my arms!" was my reply.

Comment

and their expensive :-(

but they do cheesy chips :-)

Comment

Working...
          X