Team selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team selection

Just wondered if any team players had any particular patters to picking their teams? Different teams I've played for have done things slightly differently and it all depends on whether you can see the other team first or not. My team just now tend to very simply go strong at the start and try get the early lead. During a match last year we emploed a tactic to make the alternate breaks work for us against a better team.

We picked our team out so that our best players would get the break no matter what happened. If we lost the flip for first break their team would break and our better players would be positioned 2-4-6-8. Obviously if we won the flip we would conceed the break, which we did. That night it came down to the last doubles against a good team and we won, thanks to the tactic that won us game 2-4-6-8...
    Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

We play Blackball rules so you have to lag for the break on each frame.

Comment

I'm hoping we adopt blackball rules in our leagues in the next couple years, but change scares the old committee dinosaurs! Too much safety play inviolved in BAPTO rules, I'm sure they have their place but I don't like them. Especially after watching the semi finals of a doubles competition last night, frames up to 45 mins long! Just terrible pool.
      Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

World rules all the way matey!

With regards to team picking, we play 6 singles and 3 doubles in a match and mix it up most weeks so no real tactics. (cards with the playing order have to be completed before the first coin toss) so nothing can be fiddled. (coin toss before each break).
        http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Coin toss before every break?! that's crazy talk lol. In an ideal world we'd lag for every break and play blackball rules. In my league the home team writes their team selection then hands the team sheet over to the away team. Balances the home table advantage a bit and makes selecting your team more interesting too.

Comment

Having Played them for about 2 yrs now I would say they are good but not perfect.

They promote attacking play and are much better to play and watch than world rules.

I would change the selection of colour rule has it does not favour the breaking player.

Comment

My captian plays the current "on form" player first, to try and catch the first frame. Second best player plays last frame in case it goeas to a decider. The rest of the order is pretty random.

Seems to work not too bad but you could argue tactics till the cows come home!

Comment

we play 9 singles frames, and i've got a team of 12 to pick from (if everyone turns up). I try and put on my best players early, with one in reserve for an anchor game.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shanghai Matt View Post
                  we play 9 singles frames, and i've got a team of 12 to pick from (if everyone turns up). I try and put on my best players early, with one in reserve for an anchor game.
                  i presume you are all talking pool here......9 single frames of snooker in league play we would have to book the next day off work!!!!!

I am very lucky to have 5 turn up let alone choose an order
                  Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

World Rules the only proper rules!

In our league we toss every game.
                    Preston lag!

In interleague (town) games there are two round of 9 games you right your team down first in leg one then toss and go alternate.

Comment

I play world rules too, better in my opinion.

We play 6 singles and 3 doubles. Home team fills in the card for the singles games then passes to the away team. 6 singles are then played and when finished the card is then filled in by the home team for the doubles (Which adds a little strategy as you can work out weak points). But I dont agree with the way we select our team which is usually best players first then going down to the not so good. Id rather adopt the best 1st, 2nd last approach.
                      sigpic <---New Website
                      Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                      X