Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break Cue

Hey guys,

I just wondered how many 8ball players (british sized tables) use a break cue? And if you do, what is it like? I've never had cue that was a specifically built break cue, not even sure they are made for 8ball.

I have used a few different cues as a dedicated break cue though. I find that something quite heavy, but not too heavy (about 19oz) is ideal for me. Others might say that a lighter cue works just as well because you move it faster towards the white and therefor can get just as much power in to your break. You could make an arguement for light or heavy I'm sure.

Another thing would be tip size. I've heard people say they like quite a large tip to break with, even seen good players breaking with pub cues! I wouldn't do that though, and I still break with a cue that has a 8.5 tip to keep good control of the white.

Any thoughts?
    Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

I use my playing cue to break for 8 ball.
    It is 19 oz so I don't really need a break cue.

Comment

I don't like to break with my normal playing cue, the way I tend to break I don't think it's good for it.
      Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

Originally Posted by LWB View Post
        I don't like to break with my normal playing cue, the way I tend to break I don't think it's good for it.
        Same here. I use an 8.7mm tip for playing and my first snooker cue (10mm, 19oz) for breaking. It's a cheap cue, discarded months ago and I get more power with it. But I don't think I'd specifically buy a cue for breaking if I didn't already have one. I did for 9 ball though.

Comment

Originally Posted by Theguywithaplan View Post
          Same here. I use an 8.7mm tip for playing and my first snooker cue (10mm, 19oz) for breaking. It's a cheap cue, discarded months ago and I get more power with it. But I don't think I'd specifically buy a cue for breaking if I didn't already have one. I did for 9 ball though.
          Just depends how much you play the game I guess, if you play a lot of 8ball then might be worth getting a break cue, but I've never bought one either. I wouldn't like to break with anything bigger than 9mm though as I screw the white straight back and off the top cush which is easier with a smaller tip.

Comment

I know I should not use it for both but it does have a 9.5mm tip.
            Plus you look such a posser with two cues don't you?

Comment

Think as long as you have a one piece case that fits your playing cue and break cue then you don't look like that much of a prat lol. But if it makes a difference during competetive play then I wouldn't let it stop me anyway!

Comment

Originally Posted by LWB View Post
                Just depends how much you play the game I guess, if you play a lot of 8ball then might be worth getting a break cue, but I've never bought one either. I wouldn't like to break with anything bigger than 9mm though as I screw the white straight back and off the top cush which is easier with a smaller tip.
                I know a guy who plays UK pool with his 13mm tip american pool cue which he also plays Apool with. Lol the funniest thing is that he has a snooker cue dunno why he doesn't play uk pool with that. BTW this guy is a good playerhis high break is 54 (he's better than that sounds) and he gets many break and clearances.

Comment

Even a 2 pc cue case would be a pain has I made a 9 inch short butt/mini butt which I use a lot in small pubs.
                  The other way to do it is what I have done for a few people, is make them a break shaft so less to carry around.

Comment

i usea crappy old 9 ball cue with a phonelic tip (hard plastic type stuff) so theres no shock absorbancy, therefore more transmitted power... pain in the arse to controll though. took me about a month to stop launching the white half way across the room, and actually get the white staying roughly where i want.

Comment

I break with my normal cue which is 9ish.
                      I've known people to have less than 8mm and then you might have more need of one.

I have seen a chap who plays for the Isle of Man who has what looks like an old 9 ball stick full of joins and weights. Well he's is that great but he pots 4 or 5 balls every break so he doesn't need to be that great.

Comment

used to use a 6.5 mill tip for pool. have just had another one done thats 8 mill. for obviously reasons i needed a break cue. have tried a few over the times, starting with a 19oz 9 ball cue, a very light twangy cue (8 mill tip) and numerous others. have been using a old cue that someone swapped as they wanted me break cue to play with. its ok, but have since found the tip makes a massive difference. bought some tips off greenbiaze and he sent me the le pro and an unbranded hardish tip. well these are brilliant. in a couple of weeks am going to try the le pro on the breaker, but the unbranded one is very good and seems to allow yer to generate more into the white. trial and error till yer find what suits. (and then yer go looking for better)

Comment

i picked up another 1 piece 9ball cue the other day, with a lepro tip on. giving that a go at the moment as i figured it'd give me a little more controll over the white than a phonelic tip.... so far though i'm just back to launching the white off the table (actually hit someone with it during a match the other night, oops).

Comment

Is there anyone who can suggest me where can I buy cheap break cue? Or is there anyone who is willing to sell his break cue if he has a spare one or something like that?
                            You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
                            BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
                              I use my playing cue to break for 8 ball.
                              It is 19 oz so I don't really need a break cue.
                              I believe Break cues are lighter then playing cues in American pool.I don't know about 8 ball.
                              My deep screw shot
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Working...
                              X