UK Pool - World rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Pool - World rules

I have never played the new World Rules in a match yet, and may be entering a tournament tomorrow (depending if i play well in practice today ) and have a question on the rules i hope someone can advise on.

As either the white or object ball must hit a cush - say if you are on reds and you hit one red onto another red, the first red hit stays in the middle of the table but the second red hits a cush.

Is that ok or is it a foul ?

Also, in this situation if you are on reds and you hit one red onto a yellow or the black, the first red stays in the middle of the table but the yellow or black hits a cush.

Is that ok or is it a foul ?
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

They're both ok. As long as something (red, yellow, black or white) hits a cushion after the white's first contact with a ball, it doesn't matter what it is or how it got there. (And of course if you pot a ball there's no requirement to hit a cushion).

Good luck in the tournament.
    Last edited by Robert602; 5 July 2008, 11:06 AM. Reason: Moved from Hege's thread

Comment

Originally Posted by Robert602 View Post
      I don't think these are quite the rules Hege has in mind but anyway...

They're both ok. As long as something (red, yellow, black or white) hits a cushion after the white's first contact with a ball, it doesn't matter what it is or how it got there. (And of course if you pot a ball there's no requirement to hit a cushion).

Good luck in the tournament.
      Thanks Robert.

But you can you get round this by making the white hit a cush before the first contact on an object ball, if neither the white or any other balls contact a cush after the white contacts the first object ball ?
      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

No - coming cushion first to roll into a ball, for example, would be a foul. Only cushions contacted after the first hit count.

You occasionally have to be wary when trying to hit a ball close to a cushion with a thin contact (often comes up when trying to lay snookers). If you get the desired contact you'll hit ball and then cushion with the white - fine. If you miss it you'll hit cushion then ball from behind - foul (unless it's strong enough to hit somewhere else). This one causes an argument or two and takes a good eye from the referee, the shots can look very similar.

Comment

Thanks again. All is clear now.

Comment

Another caveat worth mentioning: If a ball already touching a cushion is hit, that ball is not considered to have hit the cushion. Consequently when a ball is close to a cushion but not touching it's common practice to confirm it with the referee / opponent before the shot is played.

This is somewhat unlike the touching ball rule, where if you play away from your own ball you are deemed to have hit it (so just rolling into a cushion is fine).
            Last edited by Robert602; 5 July 2008, 10:31 AM.

Comment

One last question, do the jaws of the pocket count as being a cushion - for instance if you go for a pot and the ball rattles in the jaws, and nothing else goes near a cush - is that a foul ?

Comment

The jaws count, so that's not a foul.

Comment

thanks Robert.

Comment

Just try not to miss and then hitting a cush wont matter. hehehe

Good luck in the comp
                    Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
                      thanks Robert.
                      Happy to help, and if anything other questions come up after the practice today feel free to ask. There are quite a few subtle differences from old EPA beyond the cushion rule, but IMO they're a much better, more attacking and skilful set of rules once you get to know them.

A few resources:
                      Complete, official world rules from the EPA
                      My club's abridged version of the above (more readable, leaves out the 'obvious' bits).
                      Comparison of old EPA / WR / BAPTO (very handy if you're familiar with one rule set already)

Good luck.

Comment

i have to agree these rules are better and result in faster games, the summer league my snooker club plays in play 10 singles, 2 doubles and a captains games a total of 13 games and its over by last orders, not like the winter league with the other rules which has just 9 games and can go on till midnite

Comment

i personally dont know a league player who's game hasn't improved because of these rules. im a much better player because of them
                          Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

I agree much better rules!
                            Danny you've got no chance against a proper player if you don't know the rules! How did you get on?

I hate to bring it up but if you don't know all the foul/total snooker rules etc and what to do you could get very frustrated!

Comment

Where abouts do you play Danny? i see your from manc so was interested which league your in?
                              Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X