Pool dying out in New York City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool dying out in New York City?

A couple of sad articles on the state of pool halls in Queens, from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/ny...ml?ref=thecity
    http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-of-billiards/

One issue that is highlighted in the first article - and was mentioned earlier as a much bigger problem in the Canadian province of British Columbia - is the establishment's lack of a liquor license.
    "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

Paper pushing pratts work fo the councils over there too I see. The smoking ban has hurt a lot of clubs here too let alone the pubs. Theres now as many boarded up in walking distance from me as there ae open, and all their trade is in the garden.

Height of stupidy must go to some councillors in Newcastle though, they spent £2000 on salt shakers and went round all the local chip shops and swopped their new ones for the existing ones. The reason why? well they had less holes in the new ones and apparently we are all eating too much salt

Comment

Originally Posted by Wity View Post
      Height of stupidy must go to some councillors in Newcastle though, they spent £2000 on salt shakers and went round all the local chip shops and swopped their new ones for the existing ones. The reason why? well they had less holes in the new ones and apparently we are all eating too much salt
      Ya mean the Newcastle councillors have such a low opinion of their own population that they can't remember that salt shakers dispense salt to a level of the CUSTOMER'S request?
      "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

Comment

Paper pushing pratts work fo the councils over there too I see. The smoking ban has hurt a lot of clubs here too let alone the pubs. Theres now as many boarded up in walking distance from me as there ae open, and all their trade is in the garden.
        I do not miss the smoke one iota. Funny I spent many years in the blue haze of the pool room and its been gone for about 6 now and now even if i smell someone come in from smoking outside it grosses me out.

Comment

We lost our one and only snooker hall 2 months after the ban....its now yet another resturant!!

Where I live now we just have estate agents and resturant/takeaways. Nearest club is over 20 miles away
          sigpic <---New Website
          Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Originally Posted by straud13 View Post
            I do not miss the smoke one iota. Funny I spent many years in the blue haze of the pool room and its been gone for about 6 now and now even if i smell someone come in from smoking outside it grosses me out.
            I miss the smoke to be honest as all the pubs now you can smell the toilets and stale beer which in my honest opinion is worse!
            sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
              We lost our one and only snooker hall 2 months after the ban....its now yet another resturant!!

Where I live now we just have estate agents and resturant/takeaways. Nearest club is over 20 miles away
              Colours in Oxford still had snooker tables the last time I went (in April).

Comment

Originally Posted by Robert602 View Post
                Colours in Oxford still had snooker tables the last time I went (in April).
                Im 20 miles from Oxford tho
                sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
                  A couple of sad articles on the state of pool halls in Queens, from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/ny...ml?ref=thecity
                  http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-of-billiards/

One issue that is highlighted in the first article - and was mentioned earlier as a much bigger problem in the Canadian province of British Columbia - is the establishment's lack of a liquor license.
                  It is always sad reading articles like that.

Comment

Working...
                  X