Practice - Double - Cushion First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice - Double - Cushion First

Im interested to know, what is the best way to practice a pot on a colour, but the cue ball hitting the cushion first then the object ball? Its one shot i just cant get right when i need to and im interested to know how.

Thanks for any help
    sigpic <---New Website
    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

pretty tough one.. for me anyways. all the clubs i play at have S*** cushions lol.

well, i sure if u were snookered, you wouldnt try to pot your way out of it off a cushion. wouldnt you try making contact and trying to get safe?

I suppose what id do if i wanted to pot would be to practice getting out of snookers.

gives you better angle knowledge? i dno? maybe im just chatting a loada bull.

hope it helps though

Comment

I set the balls up as easy as possible so its a easy angle, hit the cue ball middle or top depending on what i want to do with the white.
      I usually start with the balls about 6 inches off the rail and use a fluid stroke like i would play in a match.
      After i manage it a couple of times i give myself a harder angle and move the balls in to harder and harder positions.
      I try to use as little side or screw as possible.

Another thing you can try is putting four or five balls on the table randomly and coming off the cushion first to hit them and as you get better try going for the pot to kind make it a game in itself.

Just what i do im not a coach

Comment

off the cush

When you're trying to learn the angles for a cushion first shot it's important that the cue ball isn't influenced by unintentional side which would cause you to mis-interpret the results.

Try to play further from the cushion to start with so that any spin has a chance to roll off before the ball hits the cush.Generally it's better to go up and down the table than across.When you're happy that you can get the contact you want repeatedly then you can start to adjust the angle cb takes using check etc.

Comment

I'll just add some advice for you...

Dont play the shot with too much pace, as the pace can distort the angle the cue ball comes off the cushion.

Dont play with screw! The screw acts as a 'check' and can slightly check the cue ball back, play just above centre, for the best roll of the cue ball.

Keep it the same! If the only variable was the place on the cushion the cue ball hit, you will learn very fast. Less variables means quicker learning. Keep the cue ball position the same, the pace the same, and the cue ball contact point with the tip the same. Try and learn with the least amount of variables.

I hope this helps you,

bongo

Comment

Thanks all for the advice, ill have a go. I only asked as every other part of play im fine with. Just a cushion 1st shot id like to know a way to practice as there will be a time when its needed. When in a total its not a problem.

I used to be quite a hard hitter but had to change my game in the end, earned the phrase "Touch of a rapist" a few years ago. But now i can run the ball lovely.

Ill give it a go this Friday and see how it turns out
            sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Good luck it is a good tool to have.

Comment

For some time I thought you guys were talking about potting on double, cushion first in snooker .

Freaked me out before I realized this thread is in the Pool section (whew !)
                "We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo

Comment

lol nice one
                  sigpic <---New Website

Comment

I can pull it off sometimes!!
                    Only on the easy ones ;-)
                    Last edited by burwatchampion; 27 September 2008, 12:31 AM.

Comment

How has it been so far you getting the hang of it?:snooker:

Comment

Yeah not doing too bad. Practiced last week and got about 6 out of 10 down, which is not bad. I have tried a few techniques mentioned here and really has improved. Its just one of those shots that would be good to master. Thank you all for your help
                        sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Working...
                        X