Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bouncing around pocket

Hi all

I know this is a simple question, but what makes a ball bounce from side to side in pocket corners and then come back out (without falling in)? I swear I make accurate hits on the table but they always bounce around and come back out. I would like to blame the table but that probably won't pass

Thanks
    k

Originally Posted by jimbyjoe View Post
    Hi all

I know this is a simple question, but what makes a ball bounce from side to side in pocket corners and then come back out (without falling in)? I swear I make accurate hits on the table but they always bounce around and come back out. I would like to blame the table but that probably won't pass

Thanks
    k
    good question ... first answer is the reason the object ball didn't drop in without hitting a jaw is you didn't hit it quite accurately enough ... if you'd hit the object ball more accurately, it would fall without hitting the jaws at all ... the dreaded "rattle" ... I'm not trying to say I'm a better player than you by the way - I'm generally more than happy if I "rattle" the pocket rather than miss by my usual "country mile"

second question ... why do object balls tend to come away from the pocket if they rattle both jaws ...

well I've seen some great American 9-ball coaching videos on Youube ... can't remember the guys name but his voice is a dead-ringer for Clint Eastwood ...

and what he says (which could be true) is say you hit the right hand jaw - it puts left hand side (ie clockwise spin) on the ball ... so when the object ball then hits the other (left) jaw, the left hand side tends to make the object ball come away from the pocket ...

interesting theory ...
    Last edited by DandyA; 5 November 2008, 02:16 AM.

Comment

A quick reply,

If you hit the ball with a lot of pace, it can strike the back of the pocket (pocket leather), and bounce out again! Even if it was fully accurate, as pocket leathers on old tables are rock solid if they haven't been changed!

bongo

Comment

yeah it wasn't jumping out of the back of the pocket although this week i think i had a similar instance.
        i still beat my mate 4-3....should've been 4-2 if I didn't sink the white on the black....

Comment

just realised I had the videos I mentioned stored in my favourites ... http://billiards.colostate.edu/index.html

they are by Dr Dave Alciatore ... although oriented around 9-ball pool on American sized tables (and huge balls and lightning fast cloths) they are well worth watching in my opinion ...

Comment

yes mate i've seen them! last week i got a new mobile phone which has a 120 fps camera, and I gave it a shot last week. you can clearly see the cue ball's reaction when it hits the object ball. might do a bit more filming this week.
            k

Comment

Originally Posted by jimbyjoe View Post
              yes mate i've seen them! last week i got a new mobile phone which has a 120 fps camera, and I gave it a shot last week. you can clearly see the cue ball's reaction when it hits the object ball. might do a bit more filming this week.
              k
              ooooooo ... a 120fps camera - that sounds fun! what make/model is that?

Comment

LG KU990 Viewty; a few of the other LG's have it too, including the Renior, which we don't have yet in convict land.
                k

Comment

[QUOTE=jimbyjoe;337488]LG KU990 Viewty; a few of the other LG's have it too, including the Renior, which we don't have yet in convict land.
                  k[/QUOTE

thanks for the info jimby, much appreciated, oh and I'm also glad you made the comment about "convict land" ... not I ...

don't suppose there's any chance you could upload one of your 120fps videos to YouTube or whatever - I'd really like to see it ...

and, for fear of getting in trouble with April Madness or another mod, I'm not even going to mention *that* sporting event next summer ... but good luck to you and your team (you'll need it) ...

Comment

If its the event I'm thinking about....no chance! India sure gave us a run for our money and beat us, but we've got a heap of new players and are still gelling. Don't you worry.

Now back to pool - i have another question to ask and i'm putting it up as a new thread!
                    I might put those 120 fps up sometime too.
                    k

Comment

Working...
                    X