Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Pool Question

Hi Poolers

what format of the game dictates whether you get 2 shots on the black, play the white from anywhere, you're restricted in playing up the table and there's no D line at all just a baulk line?

I aint played by modern rules for ages and we last played with 1 shot on the black, in-offs played from the D and in any direction. I still prefer the old style spots and stripes, but that won't stop me playing...... paying more than a £1 a game is a severe hindrance though, especially when I used to pay 10p a game down the Youth Club! A sponsored-fast in there entailed plastic cups down the pockets too, so we paid even less!

Ta.
    Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

There are 2 kinds of pool games.
    1)8-Ball
    2)9-Ball
    In 8 Ball pool the balls are numbered from 1-15.They are striped and solid.The player who pots the 1st ball weteher a stripe or a solid in the 1st shot has to play that ball for the rest of the game. i.e If he pots a solid he has to play a solid for the whole game.The balck that is the 8 ball has to be potted at the last. i.e When one of the players has cleared his balls(stripe/solid).In case the 8 ball is potted in between the game its a foul and the other person wins the game.There is no D in pool.Its just the baulk line.You cannot play behind the baulk line in 8 ball pool when ball in hand.

In 9 ball pool we are supposed to pot the balls in order.Starting from the 1-9.The frame is not in the triangle like snooker as the reds are set.OR 8 ball pool.Its set in a diamond shape.The 9 ball being in between.We are allowed to pot the nine in a pair.For example the ball on is 3 and the nine is close to the pocket , then we can use the 3 to pot the 9.The player who pots the 9 wins the game.Even if the other player has potted all the remaining ball(1-8).Oh yes , when a foul is committed the player is allowed to place the ball anywhere on the table and play the ball on.If a player makes 3 fouls continously the other player wins.

These are the basic rules enough for a beginner.They are a few more complicated rules i am unable to explain.Though anybody having doubts,questions may ask me here.
    Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Cheers Ranen, I was really thinking of old style english pub pool and didn't know whether the markings on the table dictated 'free table' rules were in order, or whether pub players now always play to certain rules all the time anyway.

I'd rather play snooker than pool, winning off the break and a pound down the drain's not my idea of fun; I suppose if it's winner-stays-on it'll only cost you a pound if you're good. Blocking pockets and tight rooms don't appeal too much. Quite like watchin the American 9 ball comps on Sky; some foxy ladies with screams to match is comical. A recent 8 ball ladies event (isle of man I think) was amazing; singing all the time with a few 'more than affeectionate' hugs and kissing if you know what I mean. The Hustler's an enjoyable film, Colour of Money too.
      Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

heres my 2 cents:

and remember, im playing in the USA, so everything is so much different that it is over in europe.

from what your saying, it sounds like your playing on a barbox, where you have to feed the table every game.

over in the US when barbox were fairly common, people would play rotation to get more bang for their buck, so to speak. in really simple terms, all 15 balls are used and you would try to pocket the balls in order. that way, it would be the longest game to play for the rack of 15 balls.

meanwhile, there are 3 major governing bodies of pool here in america. theres the BCA (which some would say holds the international rules), the APA, and the TAP. each has its own rule book, with slight variations in each, such as if you scratch while yur on the 8, do you lose, where to play cue ball after a foul, etc etc.

i know all the rules by heart, so i can play in basically all the pool halls here no matter what rules the house decides to take on. ive also learned the so called "house rules" to playing against the hustlers and ball bangers that are in most pool halls. anyways, the rules i follow by most of the time are BCA rules.

cue ball in hand in the kitch after a foul in the break. any foul not during the break, its cue ball in hand anywhere on the table, shooting any ball outside the kitchen (area below what you would call the baulk line). a scratch or foul while attemping to pocket the 8 ball is not a loss, just ball in hand for the opposing player. fouling AND pocketing the 8 ball is a loss of game. at any time the 8 jumps off the table, it is a loss of game.

Comment

thank heavens for wasted childhoods! Ball Bangers.... I lkie it; we've a few over here... common phrase of, "Why so hard?!?".... if I ever get that accusation though, an easy reply is, "Position".

got your rules SD, ta. So barboxes seem an old fashioned idea, good, maybe that means that we could learn something over here and have a timer instead so it's more like, "paying for the light", like we do for our snooker.... is that the way you pay for your pool?

How've you got in your comps recently?

Comment

Yea, i guess you could say im paying for the light. lol. I always figured i was playing for renting the table, but both phrases work. And when we play pool here, its usually on 8 or 9 foot tables.

My standings in tournaments? Well, i havent been able to play in any because i just havent had the money to enter. $30 usd may not seems like a lot, but i only get 15 dollars a week, and usually 12 of that goes to paying for table time (i pay $3 an hr). But my school does have a billiards class in which we have an 8-ball tournament. play offs were monday. i went though all the days undefeated, but then lost really bad int he first round of play offs..... 0-3.... but we have to play doubles and my partner screwed up big time on the 8 ball in those 3 matches. so now im going to be playing 9 ball with the teams that didnt make it into the play offs and the teams that got the boot first round as well. then the teams that made it into play offs will have a singles tournament in which i plan to win.

Comment

never good to have a partner go walkabout when it's down to the wire..... not often hopefully.

when we 'pay for the light'; it's literal sometime... the meter clicks, it's v.dark if you've forgotten to put the house ones on beforehand!

'd like to to stay up budda godda get up for a practice sesh the morra.

take care SD, speak soon.

Comment

Originally Posted by reverse_side
                Hi Poolers

what format of the game dictates whether you get 2 shots on the black, play the white from anywhere, you're restricted in playing up the table and there's no D line at all just a baulk line?

I aint played by modern rules for ages and we last played with 1 shot on the black, in-offs played from the D and in any direction. I still prefer the old style spots and stripes, but that won't stop me playing...... paying more than a £1 a game is a severe hindrance though, especially when I used to pay 10p a game down the Youth Club! A sponsored-fast in there entailed plastic cups down the pockets too, so we paid even less!

Ta.
                Well is sounds like a version of 8 ball pool played in the U.S

But to be honest it coul be a local league rule from your area, because the rules for pool varies alot from which area you live, they govening body of pool in this country is trying to change this. and thats not including 9 ball which is a different cue sport all together.

yeah i have to agree £1 sounds alot of money for a game, i pay 40p in my local club and the tables are well maintained
                old enough to know whats its all about, too old to actually do it.....

Comment

theres actually more than2 kinds of pool you also have straight pool (you score points for a pot) killer (you lose lives when you miss) bank pool (has to be a clean double) one pocket pool (you can only pot into a nominated pocket the pocket you pot your first ball in)
                  10 ball pool and 3 ball pool the game with 2 shots for a foul is called blackball its a variation of 8 ball different pubs play different rules some play world rules some dont ijust ask what rules they play at the pub before i break off or play my first shot
                  Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

I play:

Red or Yellows become the target on first pot.

If a Red and Yellow are potted the player makes a choice.

8 ball go's in on break is a win "Golden Break" never happened to me by the way.

Foul: is a miss, pocket the opponents ball or cue ball in.

Try to use the rail rule to avoid Dirty McSquirty shots.

After the fouls to shots are given taking from the baulk end. Always playing downwards.

If the free does not allow a player to see each side of there object ball, they get a free ball.

If the 8 goes in as a foul the game is lost.

--
                    If like playing pool and cant stomach the cost consider a 5ft slate bed table at home if you have the space of course.

Comment

for any1 wanting to know about pool in the uk there are 2 rulesets blackball rules and world rules there events for both google for more info
                      tha what!

Comment

I thought there were three sets of rules(in the uk):

BAPTA/World/Pub

I've never played BAPTA, but have heard it has some strange rules, and I doubt I'd get on with it!

We always play 2 shots on the black in our league. A foul is a foul! Why should the black be any different?!
                        Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Although there are probably 1001 different sets of rules in the UK (every pub seems to have its own variation!), there are three official sets: 'old' rules (played by most casual players/pubs), World Rules, and Federation Rules.

I'm not quite sure where I stumbled upon this document, but it summarises the differences between the three sets of rules.

Differences between the 3 sets of rules for UK 8.doc

Comment

its not bapta its bapto lol and bapto is blackball rules there are world rules and before world rules was old epa rules which what most pubs play but at like all major events on the uk there either blackball or world rules
                            tha what!

Comment

Working...
                            X