Jump shots and non slate tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump shots and non slate tables

Is it ok to do jump shots on a good quality, but non slate, 6ft snooker table, or is that likely to damage the table and/or the cloth?

Also, how do you do a jump shot? I've been watching the Mosconi and they switch to a short cue and seem to hit the ball fairly high up. I used to be of the impression that you hit the ball low down to get it to jump?
    Mobo: GA-P35-S3
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz
    GPU: ATI EAH4850 512mb DDR3
    RAM: Kingston 2.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
    Sound: Audigy 4

If I were you I would not try any jump shots, you don't know how to do it so I wouldn't.

Comment

It is more difficult to jump a ball on thin slate. I am not sure about no slate as I have never tried on one. The thicker slate are better for jumping the ball.
      You need to strike down on the ball, so the cue ball will bounce off the bed of the table.
      Hitting on the bottom to make it jump is a foul.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
        It is more difficult to jump a ball on thin slate. I am not sure about no slate as I have never tried on one. The thicker slate are better for jumping the ball.
        You need to strike down on the ball, so the cue ball will bounce off the bed of the table.
        Hitting on the bottom to make it jump is a foul.
        just imagine not doing it right and going right through the table,,that would make good viewing on youtube !!!!!! watching you trying to pull the cue out of the table

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker warrior View Post
          just imagine not doing it right and going right through the table,,that would make good viewing on youtube !!!!!! watching you trying to pull the cue out of the table
          Yep. Not going to happen, I'll give the jump shot a miss when playing pool (it's a foul in snooker anyway, isn't it?)
          Mobo: GA-P35-S3
          CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz
          GPU: ATI EAH4850 512mb DDR3
          RAM: Kingston 2.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
          Sound: Audigy 4

Comment

It is not really that difficult a shot, to jump over a ball. If you have a light cue, with a very hard tip, it feels like cheating.
            You should not follow through too much if any--the idea is to let the cue bounce off the cue ball so the cue ball can have room to jump up.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Jump shot instruction

Here are two videos on jump shot technique:

Part 1 of 2: dart jump
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhRdDcKlyZo

Part 2 of 2: pendulum jump
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPBQq...eature=related

It is illegal to "scoop" the ball by driving your cue underneath it and onto the bed of the table.

Jumps are illegal in snooker. If you want to get serious about playing 9-ball then you're going to have to learn to jump the cue ball to get out of some safeties. Lighter, shorter cues with hard tips are typically permitted in tournaments, though there may be a limit to the number of cues you use in a match. Three-piece break/jump cues are common.

Best to be safe and not try a jump shot on anything but a proper slate table. That or be very careful.
              http://www.findsnooker.com/
              Snooker tables in the USA

Snooker cue: Mike Wooldridge white Shark
              Pool: Chuck Starkey custom, Schuler SLC-505

Comment

Working...
              X