American 8-ball question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American 8-ball question

If your opponent makes a foul, whether the white is potted or not, can you still place the ball anywhere on the table?
    Mobo: GA-P35-S3
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz
    GPU: ATI EAH4850 512mb DDR3
    RAM: Kingston 2.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
    Sound: Audigy 4

When ive been watching 9 ball they get to place it anywhere so it is probs the same

Comment

For any foul the oponent places the cue ball where he wants. Only if the ball is potted in a wrong pocket, then the play resumes from the place where the cue ball has finished.

Comment

Originally Posted by matoski View Post
        For any foul the oponent places the cue ball where he wants. Only if the ball is potted in a wrong pocket, then the play resumes from the place where the cue ball has finished.
        Do you mean if the wrong ball is potted? I didn't think you had to nominate a pocket on an ordinary shot. Also, what happens if the break is a foul shot (miscue, so you don't even hit the pack)? Does it go to the other player? Finally, is it just ball in hand, or is it two shots as well. That's UK 8-Ball, isn't it?

Comment

Originally Posted by DavisFan76 View Post
          Do you mean if the wrong ball is potted? I didn't think you had to nominate a pocket on an ordinary shot. Also, what happens if the break is a foul shot (miscue, so you don't even hit the pack)? Does it go to the other player? Finally, is it just ball in hand, or is it two shots as well. That's UK 8-Ball, isn't it?
          If you pot the ball in a pocket that you didn't nominate, than you just lose your turn, and your oponent resumes from the place whwre the cue ball has finished. If you pot a wrong ball, but you have made contact with the nominated ball first, then also your oponent resumes from the place where the cue ball has finished. If you pot the ball in a nominated pocket, and another ball is also poted (not the 8-ball), then it's a legal shot and you resume with the break. If on the break off shot the cue ball is poted or jumps over the table, then it's ball in hand for the oponent. If you miscue on the break off shot, then your oponent may chose whether he will break off, or put you back in. There are no two shots in american 8-ball, but that rule exists in an american 10 ball, because in 10-ball there is no cue in hand rule. Also in 8-ball, it's a foul if after the break off shot there are no 4 balls which made contact with the cushions. In that case the oponent may chose to have ball in hand, or to rerack the pack. You can find the rules on www.internationalpooltour.com website.

Comment

8 ball, Oh my god, americans invent another game?

Comment

Originally Posted by cyrusbobo View Post
              Why another game? It's as old as the pool itself. That's the game with coloured and striped balls.

Comment

Why another game? It's as old as the pool itself. That's the game with coloured and striped balls.
                Exactly! It's always been called '8-ball', that's nothing new. Isn't it also called '8-ball' with red and yellow balls as well?
                Last edited by DavisFan76; 28 December 2008, 07:09 PM.

Comment

When I see yellow and red balls they only seem to be in use in the pubs

I think what the guy is saying that the americans take the game and make there own rules or something

Comment

When I hear 8 ball, American 8 ball comes to mind.
                    There are several sets of rules, most players play by the BCA rules, but then there are many house rules in different pubs, and local halls. 9 Ball seems to be more consistent in terms of rules. If you play 8 ball in a strange place, you should ask for the rules first.
                    In BCA rules, you do not spot the balls once they are down, but in some places they spot the balls up when you foul, and you can only shot upward from the head string. In BCA, you get "ball in hand" which means you can put it anywhere you want.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

"Americans inventing another game?" LOL We have invented many things. Stay tuned we are not done yet. People tend to invent things when they are given the freedom to.
                      http://www.forcefollow.com
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/forcefollow

Comment

is it the game the 15 coloured balls placed in triangle, if it is, it's quite commonly played in china, but i just don't know the name is called 8 ball, now i know

Comment

Originally Posted by forcefollow View Post
                          "Americans inventing another game?" LOL We have invented many things. Stay tuned we are not done yet. People tend to invent things when they are given the freedom to.
                          buddy i am joking, and i am think that, american cannot compete with british, so they invent the 9 ball game, do you agree?

Comment

Americans have no knowledge of UK snooker. The American version of snooker is completely different than what the pros play and over the last 10 years has become virtually extinct. Americans started out playing carom and slowly pool became more popular. If Americans put a tenth of the money, energy, and enthusiasm into snooker that exist in American Football the US would dominate the sport. I live in the fourth largest city in North America and know for a fact that there is no professional grade snooker table available to the public. The only good tables I know of are in private residences.

I am working to turn people on to snooker here. I wish the powers that be at the BBC would showcase the game.
                            http://www.forcefollow.com
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/forcefollow

Comment

is it the game the 15 coloured balls placed in triangle, if it is, it's quite commonly played in china, but i just don't know the name is called 8 ball, now i know
                              That's the one.

Comment

Working...
                              X