Best way to break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to break?

When breaking off in 9-ball or 8-ball, what's the best way to do it? Hit the cueball plain ball, or with top or bottom? And how do you generate more power in your break?
    Mobo: GA-P35-S3
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz
    GPU: ATI EAH4850 512mb DDR3
    RAM: Kingston 2.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
    Sound: Audigy 4

Originally Posted by DavisFan76 View Post
    When breaking off in 9-ball or 8-ball, what's the best way to do it? Hit the cueball plain ball, or with top or bottom? And how do you generate more power in your break?
    Hi there,

A friend of mine plays on the pro 8-ball circuit and I also play against the x-world champ (Daz Ward). They usually break off from about 10" from the left cushion hitting the white ball in the middle just under centre.

Comment

Go to my channel on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/forcefollow and watch the video analysis of Charlie Bryant and Larrry Nevel's break.
      http://www.forcefollow.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/forcefollow

Comment

I break either six inches from the left or right cushion. Hit center of red ball, nice bit of bottom. 9 time out of ten the second red ball ends in the middle bag and 4 times out of ten the yellow furthest back on the left will go into the left bottom bag.
        sigpic <---New Website
        Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
          I break either six inches from the left or right cushion. Hit center of red ball, nice bit of bottom. 9 time out of ten the second red ball ends in the middle bag and 4 times out of ten the yellow furthest back on the left will go into the left bottom bag.
          Skillfull game aint it with them world rules

I used to play with the old tip tap lot skilfull but boring as hell. World rules are okay but both have too much luck involved for my liking. Straight pool aka 14:1 nomiinating each shot I think will be my game of choice from now on if the snooker tables in the club are all in use that is.

Comment

i honestly dont think there is a "best" way to break, its whatever works for you really, i play pretty regularly with guys who are on the pro tour and they all break differently. generally though i would say that hit it hard as you can while keeping the white on the table! more power = more ball movement = more likely that a ball will chance upon a pocket (and give a good split to dish up from!).

also try and keep the white in the centre of the table after impact... I alternate between a little backspin/stun, or power-top so that the white moves back on impact then goes forward into the pack again.

Comment

I would say hitting the cue ball plain ball stunning it.. But i guess everyone has different ideas..

Comment

As for power i'd just say hitting the cue ball with a good long follow thru action.

Comment

Originally Posted by J T View Post
                  As for power i'd just say hitting the cue ball with a good long follow thru action.
                  The follow through is indeed the key!
                  Push the cue through to the middle of the table. You can't not pot!

Comment

Originally Posted by Watford View Post
                    The follow through is indeed the key!
                    Push the cue through to the middle of the table. You can't not pot!
                    Watching the pros on TV play 9-ball, I see them thrust their cue upwards in the follow through!

Comment

mark shepherd, in his one cue book reckons just above centre of the white the slight top stun allows it to stun back slightly (because of the pace) therefore when done well stays at the halfway stage of the table. used to put everything into me break but this has more control and is equally effective at opening the balls.
                      the downside to break is this at a decent level dry breaks kill yer.

Comment

True dry breaks can kill you if you spread em so just make sure you pot!

Comment

Originally Posted by Watford View Post
                          True dry breaks can kill you if you spread em so just make sure you pot!
                          have to aggree with that, and its why i slightly prefer power over controlling the white... its all very well keeping the white in the centre but if you dont pot it can be game over. whereas if you pot every time but the whites not so good, at least you can choose colour and develp balls.

Comment

What are peoples opinions on the cut break? i have been struggling with my break recently and cannot seem to make a ball.

I have been using the cut break in practice and it is working better for me than a full ball hit on the front ball and i generally make a ball but the balls do not spread as widely.

Does any one else use the cut break?
                            http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

I'm quite new to pool, what is the 'cut break'?

Comment

Working...
                              X