Brexit, in or out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    yes, ours are usually old people retiring who are a drain on the local resources!
    More on when doing statistics on immigration, statistically you can't compare migrants coming to the UK with us British living and working in the EU and them saying immigration works both ways. it don't stack up unless you compare a country the size of UK.
    Romania is more or less the size of the U.K. And presently we've got 3500 Britons living and working in Romania yet 160,000 Romanians moved to the UK just last year so in theory it's not the same both ways at all.

Comment

Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
      I can't account for what you heard on BBC News, but would merely ask that when you make statements like that, that you at least provide some evidence as otherwise we end up with "Well I heard..."
      Surely that's up to the BBC if they're going to broadcast it on their news. I'm not picking and choosing statistics, I know that there are lies, damn lie and statistics, but most of the crap we're hearing are simply biased predictions and forecasts, we're hearing nothing concrete because nobody knows. If the BBC state something on their news programmes that's not a forecast or prediction coming out of either camp they surely have a source for it.

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
      More on when doing statistics on immigration, statistically you can't compare migrants coming to the UK with us British living and working in the EU and them saying immigration works both ways. it don't stack up unless you compare a country the size of UK.
      Romania is more or less the size of the U.K. And presently we've got 3500 Britons living and working in Romania yet 160,000 Romanians moved to the UK just last year so in theory it's not the same both ways at all.
      You can bet that the brits have retired to Romania buying up cheap property in a country where their savings in pounds sterling will go an awful long way, which would probably p1ss off the locals, but as you say 160,000 of them are over here working for minimum wage, some for less than that. Many are being exploited, many have been trafficked as little more than slave labour; I saw a prgramme on tv where a romanian woman was renting a cupboard under the stairs for £600 a month somewhere in london, scandalous behaviour there from a slum landlord, and the place was riddled with damp and the electrics were a time bomb.

I feel for these people, they must be desperate, but the fact remains that there are millions of brits on benefits that would be working due to the new benefits rules if the UK wasn't in the EU. I know that many of these brits are purely lazy, but a lot are not and are tainted by those that are; the eastern europeans as a whole are hard working and have a greater level of intelligence, but that is really wasted as they are doing the menial jobs for minimum wage, as a stated before there are no polish managers coming over, the free movement of people rule is there for one reason only, cheap labour.

And for me that's the only issue. It's a fact that wages are being kept low because of it, it's a fact that the benefits system and the NHS are at breaking point because of it. If these countries were only allowed free movement of people when their countries economies were level with ours, they wouldn't be over here, and they aren't going to be level any time soon with a lot of their workers moving abroad.

Comment

You are arguing about immigration in UK with a Scottish guy - think about it Leo - what does he care?

Might you be more successful moving to Saudi Arabia n opening up a shop selling umbrellas and pork chops.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
          Read a little on this "TTIP" thing too.
          The World is changing.
          the trans atlantic trade and investment partnership is disgusting, there was a canadian firm drilling in venezuela iirc and they were polluting a water source so the government of venezuela stopped the firm from doing so which in turn allowed the canadian firm to sue the venezuelan government for lost revenue.

truely barbaric.

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
            the trans atlantic trade and investment partnership is disgusting, there was a canadian firm drilling in venezuela iirc and they were polluting a water source so the government of venezuela stopped the firm from doing so which in turn allowed the canadian firm to sue the venezuelan government for lost revenue.

truely barbaric.

I hear ya man, no doubt there will be many more stories to come too, then there is also the hidden stuff that doesnt become public or make the news etc.

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post

truely barbaric.
              Jeez, a Canadian firm...and we have a reputation as being so nice.

In reading this string over it seems to me the REAL problem is managers and owners of British firms (who would be British themselves) are only too happy to hire cheap labour and exploit them. Why should they hire British workers who will demand more wages and will know more about the UK labour laws and also don't have a poorer home country to compare things to.

You know, if big business and government want to remain in the EU it's going to be very tough to beat them at the polls.
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                Surely that's up to the BBC if they're going to broadcast it on their news.
                But you haven't provided the information for reference, you've said you saw it on BBC news and you stated it as fact, but without anything to go on, it could be you misheard, the BBC misunderstood the figures, the BBC are part of a conspiracy to defraud etc.

Someone has done an analysis of that one story across the media - it makes really interesting reading, even though it doesn't make things completely clear either. It's a pdf file, so just look at the last result at the bottom of the google search pae 1.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fo...iw=704&bih=345
                Last edited by gavpowell; 23 May 2016, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  Jeez, a Canadian firm...and we have a reputation as being so nice.

In reading this string over it seems to me the REAL problem is managers and owners of British firms (who would be British themselves) are only too happy to hire cheap labour and exploit them. Why should they hire British workers who will demand more wages and will know more about the UK labour laws and also don't have a poorer home country to compare things to.

You know, if big business and government want to remain in the EU it's going to be very tough to beat them at the polls.
                  I feel you're right about the polls, I know deep down the remain will win the vote which will be devastating because I believe this was our chance to escape the clutches of the superstate EU with leaders we didn't even vote for.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                    yes, ours are usually old people retiring who are a drain on the local resources!
                    But these are the people who paid in most of their working life,so do you begrudge them been carried about a bit,some of them will have fought to save this country and most of Europe.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                      But these are the people who paid in most of their working life,so do you begrudge them been carried about a bit,some of them will have fought to save this country and most of Europe.
                      They saved it only for it now to be sold out.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                        You are arguing about immigration in UK with a Scottish guy - think about it Leo - what does he care?

Might you be more successful moving to Saudi Arabia n opening up a shop selling umbrellas and pork chops.
                        That's a very strange statement Byrom.
                        Why wouldn't a person living in Scotland care?First off ,Scotland is part of the U.K. And second it also has immigration so I don't understand what you are saying.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

BBC analysis of the polls suggests that non-whites are pro EU, whites are split. The old are anti-EU, the young the exact opposite. Classes ABC are pro-EU, non-degree (classes D/E) are anti. I get the last bit as those in manual and semi-skilled have been hit the hardest by cheaper (and largely harder working) EU migration. Gender is also evenly split but Scotland/Wales are pro-EU with England slightly anti. So, in a close-call referendum, non-whites, Scots and the UKs younger members may end up saving the tories and Cameron. How ironic given his sometimes bigoted statements down the years. Ho-hum, that should annoy the small-minded even more.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            That's a very strange statement Byrom.
                            Why wouldn't a person living in Scotland care?First off ,Scotland is part of the U.K. And second it also has immigration so I don't understand what you are saying.
                            Some things you should never talk about Jim ....

In all honesty you are mistaking my humour for someone who' is making a serious statement - I am the one person trying to add a bit of humour to this farce of a referendum.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              Some things you should never talk about Jim ....

In all honesty you are mistaking my humour for someone who' is making a serious statement - I am the one person trying to add a bit of humour to this farce of a referendum.
                              Ah sorry pal, didn't think it sounded like you, think I was a bit precious there
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I feel you're right about the polls, I know deep down the remain will win the vote which will be devastating because I believe this was our chance to escape the clutches of the superstate EU with leaders we didn't even vote for.
                                When did you vote for David Cameron? When did you vote for the coalition? When did you vote for the Cabinet, or the members of the civil service?

The UK elects MEPS who elect/appoint the assorted other people to posts like president. It's not that different, especially since the English electoral system is unfair and unrepresentative.

Comment

Working...
                                X