X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• narl
    replied
    Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
    Good knowledge - I never heard of this before. Still surprised as I haven't seen this with other cue makers whose cues I have, but then again maybe this is just down to the wax Pa rris uses?
    More down to the grain of the ebony i'd say, the pic below shows a parris cue at the bottom and another cuemaker who used wider grain ebony above it and used a polish to finish the cue, both have the white flecks but its much more noticeable in the top cue. The second pic shows just how bad the top cue was, when playing rest shots that is how bad it looked.

Last edited by narl; 3 May 2018, 01:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    The postcode Parris has some more pics and specs added, looks in pretty rough shape, he reckons it's around 56.5 inches with an 8mm tip. Looking at the pic of the tip and ferrule the wood looks pretty hourglassed in under it so would need chopping and extending.

Leave a comment:

• anish147
    replied
    Good knowledge - I never heard of this before. Still surprised as I haven't seen this with other cue makers whose cues I have, but then again maybe this is just down to the wax Pa rris uses?

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    Very true, but John would have been the first to tell me that when I was talking to him a few weeks back and trying out his cues. Don't get me wrong, the finish is so silky smooth on every cue - it's astonishing. But I am very disappointed in these whitish marks/grain - I'm not sure how to describe it but it's not the camera and I don't think it is the wax either unless the ebony is so rough chunks of wax get stuck in it
    It can do depending on the grain of the ebony. A few years back I had a cue that had wide grained ebony and it had some wax deposits inside the grain pores. Depending on where on the butt it is the heat of your hand can help make them disappear over time. Even seen people be advised they can use a toothbrush to dislodge the small flecks or break them up.

Leave a comment:

• anish147
    replied
    Originally Posted by narl View Post
    Sometimes that's remnants of the wax they use on the cue butt, generally goes away after you play with it for a while.
    Very true, but John would have been the first to tell me that when I was talking to him a few weeks back and trying out his cues. Don't get me wrong, the finish is so silky smooth on every cue - it's astonishing. But I am very disappointed in these whitish marks/grain - I'm not sure how to describe it but it's not the camera and I don't think it is the wax either unless the ebony is so rough chunks of wax get stuck in it

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
    expectatiions/assumptions aren't his fault/decision
    Definitely on ebay

Leave a comment:

• thai_son22
    replied
    You'd sort of expect it to be parris since he bothers to mention that both this (and his parris champion) were just serviced. Needs a bit of wire wool around that joint, its bogging!
    expectatiions/assumptions aren't his fault/decision

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    Doesn't say it was serviced by Parris tho ? maybe just a wipe down with oil and some wire wool on the brass
    You'd sort of expect it to be parris since he bothers to mention that both this (and his parris champion) were just serviced. Needs a bit of wire wool around that joint, its bogging!

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Parr...EAAOSwKiZa6JJO

"just serviced" my arse, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, the mankiness of the joint says it all, when they refinish a cue the joint gets brought back to new condition.
    Doesn't say it was serviced by Parris tho ? maybe just a wipe down with oil and some wire wool on the brass

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    It's on all his cues in the shop where there is no flash ;-)
    Sometimes that's remnants of the wax they use on the cue butt, generally goes away after you play with it for a while.

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Parr...EAAOSwKiZa6JJO

"just serviced" my arse, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, the mankiness of the joint says it all, when they refinish a cue the joint gets brought back to new condition.

Leave a comment:

• anish147
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    photo flash?
    doesn't seem to be in the 3rd photo
    It's on all his cues in the shop where there is no flash ;-)

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
    Black and white ebony is news to me. Nowadays, jet black is only on painted ebony I guess
    You can still get jet black ebony, just harder to come by these days.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Spotted on eBay

photo flash?
    doesn't seem to be in the 3rd photo

Leave a comment:

• fkhan
    replied
    Look at the 6th picture here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Parr...564e%7Ciid%3A1

I don't have anything with white bits on my TP, Maximus, TW or Wooldridges, or even my Will Hunt. But it's becoming increasingly common I find
    Yes, you are right. Pretty evident.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X