No announcement yet.

Snooker Plus Balls (Orange and Purple)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted Snooker Plus Balls (Orange and Purple)

I'm looking for two sets of balls for a version of snooker invented by Joe Davis back in the 50's, snooker plus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooker_plus). This version never really took off, but I need these balls to make a novelty tournament in my local club. They're not made by any manufacturer anymore, but in case anyone is interested in selling those ball or has any idea how I go about obtaining them, please let me know.

we have a set in Scotland

Comment

akuk.... you reminded me of an image I made last year when O'Sullivan was pictured wearing a purple vest
      and carrying a purple cue made by John Parris. I took it another step further... back to the Joe Davis idea...
      adding more balls to promote the popularity of snooker...

Just add ORANGE!

=o)

Noel

Comment

What can I say Noel, I saw your image and... TRIPPED BALLS. Brilliant.

Bigbreak are you interested in selling the set ? You can email me at kewkie dot gmail dot com.

Comment

Just under two and a half years late but I wonder what the value of these would be?

I have a set of burroughes and watts crystalate snooker-plus balls in the original box, marked 2 and 1/16 with probably the original cotton wool in the box.

I'm not desperate to get rid of them but wonder what they would go for as they are quite rare I suppose.

Comment

Hi sberry, if you get a price in mind could you let me know if you want to sell them as I might be interested.
            Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Not a clue what price to put on them as they are so rare, this thread was the last thing I could find on the internet asking for them and nobody found any, another guy has a website as he collects everything related to these but doesn't have any.

You can guide price cues as they're ebayed every week as are antique ox bone balls which go for hundreds but these are much harder to come by, any auction might not be a guide as without regular auctions you only end up with a "who was there on the day to fight for it" price.

I have a varied collection of snooker and billiards stuff most of which I can value but I just can't value these - it's easy to value 1st edition books, hand made cues, ox bone balls, as you can get them every week but these you can't.

Got to be worth more than a second hand cue or set of ox bones in my opinion, any guesses anyone?

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
                Not a clue what price to put on them as they are so rare, this thread was the last thing I could find on the internet asking for them and nobody found any, another guy has a website as he collects everything related to these but doesn't have any.

You can guide price cues as they're ebayed every week as are antique ox bone balls which go for hundreds but these are much harder to come by, any auction might not be a guide as without regular auctions you only end up with a "who was there on the day to fight for it" price.

I have a varied collection of snooker and billiards stuff most of which I can value but I just can't value these - it's easy to value 1st edition books, hand made cues, ox bone balls, as you can get them every week but these you can't.

Got to be worth more than a second hand cue or set of ox bones in my opinion, any guesses anyone?
                last boxed set of ovory billiard balls i sold went for £373. last set of snooker plus balls went for £80 but that was about 5 years ago.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                  last boxed set of ovory billiard balls i sold went for £373. last set of snooker plus balls went for £80 but that was about 5 years ago.
                  this is on dave smiths site. http://www.cuesnviews.co.uk/Snooker/collectingballs.htm
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Yup, I would definitely say in the hundreds as prices don't just appreciate over time they can go up fast as they become more 'rare'.

Comment

Ok mate. No probs. thanks for the reply.
                      Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Has anyone on TSF played snooker plus? It sounds good to me!

; )

It might help me get a bigger break . . .
                        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Trust me, it can get messy - imagine the orange worth 8 spotted between the pink and blue and the purple worth 10 spotted between the blue and brown - it's your break and you're trying to avoid hitting the blue on the way back but some bugger has also put orange and purple obstacles in your way!

Then, when all the colours are messed up you're getting headaches thinking about the orange and purple and how to make breaks with them and they keep getting in the way of your normal play.

They're bloody good for an 8-handed game of killer though

Comment

Working...
                          X