No announcement yet.

1-piece Maple - must be solid hitting!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted 1-piece Maple - must be solid hitting!!

Hi there. I'm looking for a one-piece maple cue with the following specs:

18-20oz
    57.5" or longer (not shorter!)
    9.5mm tip
    29mm butt size (larger is OK but not smaller)
    hand spliced with any wood in the butt (preferably ebony as the base material in the butt)
    british taper (cone shaped?)
    straight and not warped

I'm not concerned with how it looks as long as it's a QUALITY maple shaft. I hate seeing lovely splicing only to find the cue hits like crap, is flimsy, etc.

Can be any make/badge. Can be old or new. Can be chinese or not. Don't care

Would consider ordering brand new but not sure which British cue maker to go with that knows Maple well. Parris? Mastercraft? Peradon? Other?
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

I will select one stiff & straight maple shaft for your custom made cue if you don't mind the WOODS cue from china. thanks
    woodscue@gmail.com

Easy way to custom made your cue

www.handmade-cue.com

Comment

Deroo cue seems to be an ideal choice.

Comment

Originally Posted by Straight strike View Post
        Deroo cue seems to be an ideal choice.
        massively over priced cues.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
          massively over priced cues.
          A plain Deroo butterfly spliced cue retails for about 950 Canadians (over 600 GBP) plus sevral hundreds more for a set of extensions.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
            A plain Deroo butterfly spliced cue retails for about 950 Canadians (over 600 GBP) plus sevral hundreds more for a set of extensions.
            exactly!

Comment

But a H&O black plate, JP Utimate and MW ain't much cheaper than this.

Comment

Originally Posted by Straight strike View Post
                But a H&O black plate, JP Utimate and MW ain't much cheaper than this.
                no but they are at least hand spliced.

Comment

Exactly, a hand spliced cue and a machine spliced cue are not the same thing at all.
                  How much more demanding skill wise do you think it is to plane a block to round by hand than to use a router turning it on a computerized lathe?
                  I think Kevin makes very good cues. I do know that he offers a very big discount to quantity orders, with a bigger profit margin, the dealers can justify paying more, plus his cues are popular in Asia.

Kevin does make hand spliced cues. It is about $1800 Canadian dollars (a bit over 1100 GBP) with 4 secondary splices with veneers.
                  Last edited by poolqjunkie; 27 September 2010, 07:52 PM.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I don't mind investing in a good cue if I know it's going to last me for at least a few years (or until my skill level improves where a new one is recommended). Deroo, however, is just too overpriced - or more accurately, more than I wish to spend on a cue.

Comment

Will has recommended the Omin he is selling. Not sure about Omin cues as have heard mixed recommendations.

Comment

Maybe you can have unclevit to get you a custom made UT.. Terry have played with both UT and Omin.. you can get reviews from him :snooker:

Comment

longbomber:

Tom Finstad uses an Omin maple shaft/ebony butt with a couple of splices and he loves it and says he's never had a better hitting cue. He had it at the Canadians this past June.

I like both the Omin and UT cues and feel they do decent work and their pricing is good but I can't speak to maple as I haven't used it in quite a few years.

I think you could get a decent Omin with case and 2 extensions (he has the expandable mini-butt which is really handy) for around $600 or so including shipping and how fancy you wanted the butt to be. His ebony is nice too.

Terry
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Any top snooker maker in the UK can make you a very nice maple cues. I am sure they are all 'solid hitting."
                            I have seen both Trevor and Mike's maples and they are very nice.
                            Not sure what you meant by British taper, I am sure they are not conical--do you mean a very stiff taper?
                            I think Omin is a bit on the medium stiff/medium side. May be you can try to get a LK.T maple cue from brother 4? I think they are generally stiffer than O'Min. But you should ask brother 4 as he is really the expert when it comes to LK. T cues.
                            Personally I would highly recommend a maple cue from Trevor White. The one I tried was not too stiff, had just the right spring and was just beautiful to play with and to look at.
                            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 30 September 2010, 01:15 AM.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Not sure what you meant by British taper, I am sure they are not conical--do you mean a very stiff taper?
                              Yep. Well, with ash and what I know of cues, a straight or pro pool taper (straight and then parallel) has too much flex while a british taper (conical) is what "pro's" use. No idea if maple offers the same characteristics in terms of recommended taper.

I think Omin is a bit on the medium stiff/medium side. May be you can try to get a LK.T maple cue from brother 4? I think they are generally stiffer than O'Min. But you should ask brother 4 as he is really the expert when it comes to LK. T cues.
                              Thanks for the info!

Personally I would highly recommend a maple cue from Trevor White. The one I tried was not too stiff, had just the right spring and was just beautiful to play with and to look at.
                              Thanks. I have heard good words about Trevor and I figure the resale value is probably good too.

Comment

Working...
                              X