Ivory Balls (2) for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Ivory Balls (2) for sale

Hi Guys, selling 2 genuine ivory balls within Australia only (sorry).
    SOLD Delivered in Australia.
    Diametre: 1-3/4 inch
    Some light age crazing and a few minor dings as you would expect but good condition for age.
    Thanks
    kev
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kev267; 7 August 2013, 01:43 PM. Reason: sold

That's interesting. I didn't think that ivory billiard balls were ever used in Australia, albeit that these may be from a bagatelle set. Do you know where they came from?

Incidentally, the Actone box might be a useful container, but as the Actone ball dates from the 1970's it might not be a good idea to let people think that the two are linked when you consider the law on trading ivory.

Comment

Hi there, bought them from a dealer outside of the country and unsure as to whether they came from a bagatelle set. Thanks for alerting me about the Actone box in this sale but it is purely used for the purpose of storing these balls and is not related with the production/manufacture of these 2 balls that are for sale. Why were ivories not used in Australia?

Comment

Originally Posted by kev267 View Post
        Why were ivories not used in Australia?
        Hot climates are not good for ivory. It can shrink significantly when exposed to heat, and a ball in particular, which is made to very exact tolerances, will easily go out of shape and crack as the nature of ivory is that it will shrink unevenly.

They have been used over there in the distant past but needed a great deal of care to keep them in a playable condition. As soon as composition balls became available nothing else seems to have been used in Australia as far as I know.

Comment

needed a great deal of care to keep them in a playable condition.

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
          Hot climates are not good for ivory. It can shrink significantly when exposed to heat, and a ball in particular, which is made to very exact tolerances, will easily go out of shape and crack as the nature of ivory is that it will shrink unevenly.

They have been used over there in the distant past but needed a great deal of care to keep them in a playable condition. As soon as composition balls became available nothing else seems to have been used in Australia as far as I know.
          Thanks for your expertise. What is the best way to maintain and clean these balls?

Comment

I am not familiar with the climate where you live in Australia, but I have a report from India when ivories were in use in that country, that they would generally be kept in a box of bran.

Basically you need to avoid extremes of heat and humidity. At least one of the balls you have is already showing some polar cracking which is a common sight even in England. I can't see the condition of the other from your photo. Quite possibly they would not get into noticeably worse condition however you kept them. It is unlikely that anyone would use them again for their original purpose, so you are just trying to avoid more cracking rather than going out of shape.

Going from past reports for cleaning ivories it was recommended to use hand-warm water and soap if they were very dirty. Cold water should be avoided. Then store them in your Actone box in a place in the house where you have a stable temperature. Maybe adding some insulation to the box by packing internally with cotton wool or similar wouldn't go amiss.

Comment

Thankyou for your advice and will do

Comment

Working...
              X