FOR SALE: Tom Gauthier - VERY rare from original owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by gloveman View Post
    Hi Leonard. I have no problem saying how much I paid for the Gauthier however I feel it only fair to let thelongbomber have the final say on this matter as he was the seller. I've really enjoyed reading your comments on Tom and his cues. Cheers. Jeff.
    Thanks Jeff. I guess it doesn't really matter either way as it wasn't my cue to begin with (I posted on behalf of a close friend) but I will have to ask my friend if he wants that information made public. Gauthier cue owners are oddly highly possessive over what they paid/sold their cues for
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
      Good to know. Thanks Leonard. Yes, you are right, they are commonly in use here in Western Canada. Case in point: of the 20 or so regulars playing at my local hangout in Richmond, I figure at least 10 of them own or play regularly with a Gauthier cue and most of the older guys here even have more than one in their posession. Even though these cues are commonly seen at my club, owners are rarely (if ever!) willing to part with them for any amount of money. The two cues I have sold here so far were from players that were completely retired from playing or didn't use the cue anymore.

A sidenote: I even know of the whereabouts of at least two of Tom's 3/4 jointed cues. Tom, reportedly only ever made a handful of 3/4 cues and the ones that he made supposedly played miles better than his two piece jointed cues (so the rumor goes). I saw and hit with one of Tom's 3/4 cues many years ago before I understood snooker as well as I do now. I also heard a story that one of Tom's 3/4 jointed snooker cues sold for several thousand CDN to a local collector.

The legend lives on.
      Hi the Lonbomber did Tom Gauthier make 1 piece cues also did not know that Tom Gauthier made 3/4 cues let me know if you do get one cheers Leonard

Comment

Originally Posted by the montrealer View Post
        Hi the Lonbomber did Tom Gauthier make 1 piece cues also did not know that Tom Gauthier made 3/4 cues let me know if you do get one cheers Leonard
        A few of my long time m8's and friends from the club had actually spent quite a lot of time with Tom and got to know him personally. They would often go out to his workshop, spend an evening, and even have a few games of snooker on his home table. One of my close m8's owns one of the best hitting Gauthier cues ever made and it's sister cue was the one sold to gloveman a year or so back.

Tom earlier in his cue making career experimented with making 3/4 cues (presumably from customer requests) but I'm told he wasn't satisfied with the results and stopped doing it. Of the handful he made, I think less than 5 exist today which makes them exceedingly rare.

I don't believe Tom ever made a one piece cue. I think he had the equipment but that wasn't his specialty. Tom was always knows as a master of wood. His cue shafts - which are often interchangeable as gloveman recently found out - are famous for remaining straight and having a density you rarely find from other cue makers. Tom would do strange things to his cue wood like burying it in the ground vertically for several months to straighten them and submerging the wood in tanks for months at a time.

Tom got part of his inspiration for making cues from the Brunswick Trophy cues. He liked the way the joint was constructed (out of Macardin I think) and how the male and female parts fitted together and so he replicated that in his own cues which made them play so well. The joint, the wood, and the care he took showed in his cues. A well cared for Gauthier cue still looks like new. The finish doesn't wear off, the joint remains tight, and the shafts don't warp.

Be sure to join the Tom Gauthier cuemaker fan group I created (see my signature below) so you can stay informed of any new Gauthier cues that come up for sale/trade.

Comment

hi all
          i now own this lovely cue with both shafts -- the ash one has been taken to dave coutts and taken down to 9.7mm with a perfect taper to play snooker with and it plays lovely -- but as i am seeling my cues this has to go also --so any serious offers are welcome
          cheers pete

Comment

HI Pete.147 any pictures of this cue also how much are you asking for this cue you can email me at the following email address lennybilliards@aol.com thanks Leonardi

Comment

hi the montraler
              if you go to the first page of this thread you will see the cue and the specs
              only thing that has changed is the ash shaft has been professionaly taken down to 9.7mm to play snooker for a professional snooker player and this was his back up cue as he already owns another gauthier cue
              cheers pete

Comment

When I sent it out to gloveman, it was in top condition and a worthy collectors piece. Best of luck in getting the cue. I would buy it back if I didn't already have my own Gauthier.

Comment

Is Tom Gauthier still alive? Just noticed someone said about him being ill.

Comment

hi NARL Tom Gauthier passed away a few years ago probably the Longbomber would know exact date
                    hope this helps. Leonard

Comment

Originally Posted by pete.147 View Post
                      hi all
                      i now own this lovely cue with both shafts -- the ash one has been taken to dave coutts and taken down to 9.7mm with a perfect taper to play snooker with and it plays lovely -- but as i am seeling my cues this has to go also --so any serious offers are welcome
                      cheers pete
                      HI Pete 147 where are you from are you the person i spoke from Toronto Ontario Canada that owns many snooker cues. Thanks Leonard

Comment

Working...
                      X