Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trevor White cue for swapsies for antique cue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Trevor White cue for swapsies for antique cue!

Evening. Recently I tried to convert to a modern cue, suffice to say it didn't work and I have gone back to my 1960's Mannock. If anyone has an old cue they'd consider swapping for a uber modern trevor white cue, let me know.

Cue here: http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...white+cue+sale

Specs:

57.5in
    9.7 tip
    around 18.5 oz? no scales - Ant will tell ya!
    Last edited by perpetualboredom; 19 August 2011, 04:51 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old cue collector --
    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

somebody kill me if people start swapping my cues for old ones.

i've never in my life seen an old cue that comes anywhere near the quality delivered today.

tip - get the tw thinned out, will probably play the way you want it.
    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Appreciate your point Mike - but it's just a case of different strokes for different folks.

Nothing wrong with this cue at all, have currently lent it out to mate who's playing pretty good with it, but doesn't have the necessary £££'s to buy it.

For my particularly taste (albeit at a very **** standard)... for my game it's a little too stiff, balance point a little far back, and too heavy, and too small a tip . Bt other than that it's great! lol.

In all seriousness I'm not dissing this cue or modern makers at all, I'm just happy and playing well with my existing cue - and the new season is coming up fast so I don't want this kind of money sat around gathering dust.

I obviously don't want to make ebay richer, but if I must - so be it!
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Old cue collector --
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

i know you're not criticising the quality.

my only point is that i know how crap 'old' cues actually are. i don't get the obsession some people have with trying to find one.

but i DO understand the need for playability.

and a nicely tapered old cue can play very well indeed.

which is why i suggested tapering the tw first. i can almost guarantee it'll have more of the feel that you're comfortable with.

actually, i have some old cues her i don't want. maybe we can swap?
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Again, I agree.. I've been selling a few but still must have around 70 cues here and if someone of a similar standard offered me a cash game with each of them there's only about 7 I'd take them on with without feeling my game was serverely comprimised. On that basis of 1 in 10 being a decent player, I'm sure if I ordered 70 cues from modern makers I'd find many more than 7 I was happy to play with so I can't disagree with you there.

In terms of the 'old cues' im looking for.. certainly not players. The rarer/collectrable 1930's or earlier cues that don't come along too often. If you have anything you think should suit, sure fire me a PM over.
          Old cue collector --

Comment

easier to email me what you are after. i don't have a lot, just a few lying around and i don't have time to catalogue, nor even know what i actually have now.

let me know ones of interest to you and i'll go see if i can find one.
            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

p.s. sorry to hijack your thread, just said first thing that sprang to mind :-D
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Sorry to hear you cant get on with the cue mike, i found it very difficult to get on with too...(for same resons as you mention funny enough)...

I did think about having the cue slimmed out as mike said but decided to move on in the end.

Hope you get something nice for it bud...

Comment

there are two reasons why cues are much stiffer these days:

1) customers (ignorant in knowledge) who keep demanding stiff, stiff, stiff.

2) sanding machines that produce a nice even taper and make life a LOT easier for the cuemaker
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

I bought a North West cue recently, it was 58 inches in length and had a 10mm tip, it also had a very thick shaft, a thick butt and it was just over 20oz. I knew in the back of my mind that the cue wasn't right for me as it stood but i loved the grain both on the top cueing side and the side grain. It played very stiff, basically it played like a lump hammer but again i loved the grain on the cue.

I did what Mike is suggesting above, i sent my cue to Kevin at North West cues and he tapered down the whole cue including the shaft and butt, he reduced the weight to 18.4 oz and reduced the tip size to 9.5mm.

Its now a lovely cue to play with, its what i had been searching for from the start.

These cue makers can do amazing things with wood, i'm pretty sure that Trevor White, Mike Wooldridge (or any other reputable cue maker) could get that cue bang on for you so that it feels perfect in your hand.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                      Evening. Recently I tried to convert to a modern cue, suffice to say it didn't work and I have gone back to my 1960's Mannock. If anyone has an old cue they'd consider swapping for a uber modern trevor white cue, let me know.

Cue here: http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...white+cue+sale
                      hi mike ile swop if ive got something that suits you otherwise pm me with a price you want thanks jim

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                        somebody kill me if people start swapping my cues for old ones.

i've never in my life seen an old cue that comes anywhere near the quality delivered today.

tip - get the tw thinned out, will probably play the way you want it.
                        i am with you on that, the best cues made today are far better than any of the antique cues as playing cues.
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
                          I bought a North West cue recently, it was 58 inches in length and had a 10mm tip, it also had a very thick shaft, a thick butt and it was just over 20oz. I knew in the back of my mind that the cue wasn't right for me as it stood but i loved the grain both on the top cueing side and the side grain. It played very stiff, basically it played like a lump hammer but again i loved the grain on the cue.

I did what Mike is suggesting above, i sent my cue to Kevin at North West cues and he tapered down the whole cue including the shaft and butt, he reduced the weight to 18.4 oz and reduced the tip size to 9.5mm.

Its now a lovely cue to play with, its what i had been searching for from the start.

These cue makers can do amazing things with wood, i'm pretty sure that Trevor White, Mike Wooldridge (or any other reputable cue maker) could get that cue bang on for you so that it feels perfect in your hand.
                          You're right Stig, and if I had any aspirations to play the game at a high level I'd probably do that.

As it happens tho, it's just money for nothing for me to be tinkering around with tapers and such. I'm not looking for "the one" I just buy a lot of cues for curiosity and to give them a try, as such it'd be better for me to move it on as is than start spending money on it that you just don't get back. It will suit someone perfectly well as it is.
                          Old cue collector --

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                            there are two reasons why cues are much stiffer these days:

1) customers (ignorant in knowledge) who keep demanding stiff, stiff, stiff.

2) sanding machines that produce a nice even taper and make life a LOT easier for the cuemaker
                            Hi Mike. What do you think is the reason for the trend in people wanting stiffer and stiffer cues? Just asking as my personal experience of playing with cues as stiff as broom handles is not a positive one...

Comment

I wonder if there is a confusion between stiff and crisp....

Comment

Working...
                              X