Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antique victorian ball basket on eBay now!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Antique victorian ball basket on eBay now!!

Check it out!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3207619711...84.m1555.l2649

in your ebay description you say that these baskets were used for storing billiard balls, I am sure that someone on here said that is incorrect (common myth) and they were used for player order in Life Pool
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

well that's a smashing result for a life bool basket - i guess is because of trick shot thing.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Happy days another result!

Comment

Please forgive my ignorance, what is the difference between this specially made for billiard basket and one that we see in stores meant to be used as a regular basket, decorative vase, or other purposes.
          Is there some special feature(s) on this basket that sets it apart from other baskets?
          If I just buy a regular vase/basket from my furniture store with a similar look and advertise it as an antique ball basket how do the experts tell the difference? What would an expert look for?
          Thank you.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

They are made specifically for delivering balls at the start of a game of life pool, which determined the order of play. The dimensions allow the basket containing all the colours to be laid on its side while the players arrange themselves around the table. By pushing the neck down onto the bed of the table, the basket elevates and delivers just one ball towards the player it is pointed at.

The standard trick shot is to fire a line of cue balls into the neck of the basket. A variation is to fire a ball at an angle so that the basket spins, tips, and delivers one of the balls already in there. The dimensions are therefore important to achieve this.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
              They are made specifically for delivering balls at the start of a game of life pool, which determined the order of play. The dimensions allow the basket containing all the colours to be laid on its side while the players arrange themselves around the table. By pushing the neck down onto the bed of the table, the basket elevates and delivers just one ball towards the player it is pointed at.

The standard trick shot is to fire a line of cue balls into the neck of the basket. A variation is to fire a ball at an angle so that the basket spins, tips, and delivers one of the balls already in there. The dimensions are therefore important to achieve this.
              Thank you very much for your detailed and informative reply.
              I am just wondering--can one just order a basket made with the same dimensions today?
              I would imagine it will not cost 150 GBP.
              What would an expert look for to tell if it is a piece of antique made in the old days as opposed to a "replica" made with the right dimensions today?
              Last edited by poolqjunkie; 22 September 2011, 09:25 PM.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Production of pool baskets finished with the start of the last war as far as I know. The Chinese haven't got round to making replicas yet, although if they are selling at £150 they might just start.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                  Production of pool baskets finished with the start of the last war as far as I know. The Chinese haven't got round to making replicas yet, although if they are selling at £150 they might just start.
                  never mind the chinese i am off to a wicker class tomorrow!
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

It does not have to be Chinese, any race can make a wicker basket.
                    I am not putting the basket in this auction in question. Need to make that clear my question is not directed at this particular basket..
                    I am just wondering if there is anything else to go by to tell if a pool basket is real antique--other than dimensions.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I think patina is your best bet. There may be someone out there with the knowledge of styles/weaves sold to different suppliers and when, but it is a faily obscure discipline. Like table irons, retails from billiard table manufacturers would have increasingly been from a common source and you will pobably find a a lot of them looking the same the later they get.

Comment

Working...
                      X