No announcement yet.

Anyone selling a lathe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont have the room in my workshop for more than the one lathe so getting a wood lathe and a seperate engineers lathe is out of the question just now, so just the engineers lathe im looking at
    thanks for the info lads !

Comment

what you must make sure is that the lathe is fast enough speed wise cos cutting wood needs to be faster you need 800rpm upwards -1500rpm at least and the headstock hole is big enough to get a butt through ie an unfinished 1 say 35 mm,a boxford ord is a old 1 to look for you can get a 3 phase and put a single phase motor on without losing too much

Comment

Yes, Jim, that is true. But for 4K I think his lathe should come with a big bore size, reversible and adjustable speeds, with a long enough bed length.
        A metal lathe is more precise and more powerful. If you have more than one it is better as you can then get a particular lathe set up to do a certain job, or do several things at the same time, or work on more than one cue at the same time...but if you dont have enought room, one metal lathe should suffice.
        You may want to get a tapering bar and a router set up if you are thinking of turning your shafts, rather than planning it by hand.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Looks like i will be buying the lathe ive been looking at, just awaiting the cost of transport now ? i thought royal mail special delivery was expensive

Comment

Just make sure they move it into your workshop and set it up for you. I once had a lathe delivered to me and they dropped it off at the airport, rather than delivering it door to door.
            I saved a bit on postage that way but for the additional trouble and expenses I would never try to save that bit of money again.
            May I ask what lathe are you getting? Can we take a peek?
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I am awaiting a price for the lathe to be delivered and brought in to my workshop, as the previous few quotes were for delivery only and it would have been left in my drive it is a harrison lathe ive gone for !

Comment

Working...
              X