FOR SALE - Tom Gauthier ebony/ash - MINT condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay FOR SALE - Tom Gauthier ebony/ash - MINT condition

Hi everyone. As you might know if you follow my threads, I'm a fan of Gauthier cues. I have seen plenty in the club I play at as there are still a few floating around here in Vancouver. I have been asked by one of the owners to put one up here for sale. This cue was made in 2000 by Tom for the current owner. I can assure you this cue comes from the original owner because as you can see, his name is still printed on the cue and hand signed by Tom. I can even give you access to the original owner by telephone or email if you wish to speak further with him about the cue and it's authenticity/characteristics.

Weight:
    Shaft: 3.5 oz
    Butt: 14.8 oz
    Total Cue Weight: 18.3oz

Length:
    including tip, just shy of 58" (to the ferrule, it's 57 3/4")

Balance Point:
    17.5" from butt

Diameters:
    Tip diameter: 9.75mm
    Butt diameter: 29mm
    Diameter at end of Ebony splices: 24.25mm
    Diameter at joint: 21mm
    Diameter half way up shaft: 15.5mm

Pictures:
    coming soon!

The cue is very well balanced and a great cue for the mature/seasoned player. It rolls straight and true. The shaft and butt joint mate perfectly and there are ZERO blemishes on this like new condition cue. Superb touch and effortless spin and cue ball control. The shaft is rigid but not stiff and it has a lovely taper.

Please note, this cue is not being sold at below market price as it has a lot of sentimental value and the original owner would rather keep it then sell it for less than its worth. The owner is retired, and no longer plays seriously any more and wishes to sell the cue and give it a better home. Payment required in advance by Wire Transfer, Western Union, Paypal - whatever suits you. If you have any doubts about buying online from me, please ask gloverman who previously purchased 2 other Gauthier cues from me. They were shipped properly very well packaged and arrived as described. Shipping will be paid by the seller, Fedex or UPS with a tracking code. Insurance is optional and to be paid by the purchaser.

If you have any further questions or wish to make a reasonable offer for this cue, please PM me.

Thanks for looking!
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Kevin Deroo

Hi LB,

I would like to hear your take on Kevin Deroo snooker cues?
    How would you compare Deroo's vs a Gauthier, 2pc maple of course. I was thinking of having a custom Deroo made for myself. I like maple cue's preferably older maple like a Gauthier or Duff Trophy but its kinda hard to find one. The Deroo I can have custom made and I was told that it is a fine cue.

Thanks
    Lee

Comment

Hi Lee. Thanks for asking. Kevin is a very precise detailed cue maker. His maple collection is top class and I think you would be quite able to have him make a good cue for you. Kevin doesn't really make 2 piece cues - to the best of my knowledge. His specialty is one piece and 3/4 cues. I have seen some of his recent work and it really is top class.

Regarding a Trophy, I'm actually using a Gauthier butt with a Trophy shaft at the moment. I just got it recently and supposedly it was Tom himself that fitted up the joint onto the trophy and gave the shaft a bronze ferrule. It's an extremely powerful cue and I can move the cue ball around easily with it - but the shaft taper has a lot to do with that. Really enjoying playing with it at the moment. Gauthier cues are incredibly rare to find in good condition so the ones that do come up are most often from original owners that no longer play the game.

I would say a 10/10 Deroo one piece maple will probably hit just as well as a 10/10 Gauthier 2 piece maple. I'm not a fan of jointed cues really but that's just me. The story around this neck of the world is that a Gauthier shaft is unlike any other piece of wood. Gauthier had a way of curing his shafts in such a unique and different way that made his cues really stand out. Many Gauthier shafts, even today, have the same sheen/gloss and lustre as when they came out of his shop because of the way he cured and protected wood. It wasn't uncommon to wait 1 year to have Tom make you a cue. I think the same goes for Kevin. If you order a custom cue, and be very specific about weight, size, etc you will probably get an excellent cue from Kevin. My only suggestion from experience is have him leave a little extra "meat" in the shaft wood so that you can have it taken down later from a local cue mechanic once you have hit with the cue for a while.

If you want some assistance with ordering from Kevin, please do contact him directly as I'm currently not a spokesperson for Kevin's cues on the forum here.

Comment

Thanks LB. Actually I spoke with Mr Deroo this past summer regarding a potential 2pc maple snooker cue and he was more then willing to make it. He makes 1pc, 3/4 and 2pc cue's as stated on his web site.
        Yes my intention was to leave a bit of meat on the shaft when ordered for that same reason you mentioned. I finally got my dimensions in order and will be ordering soon.
        Thanks for your input LB

Comment

Oh good to hear TP. Ya, I remember now, he made some pool cues and shafts which were often 2-piece cues so my mistake. Best of luck with your cue order!

Comment

Originally Posted by Toronto Playa View Post
            Thanks LB. Actually I spoke with Mr Deroo this past summer regarding a potential 2pc maple snooker cue and he was more then willing to make it. He makes 1pc, 3/4 and 2pc cue's as stated on his web site.
            Yes my intention was to leave a bit of meat on the shaft when ordered for that same reason you mentioned. I finally got my dimensions in order and will be ordering soon.
            Thanks for your input LB
            Kevin will make you a snooker cue in 1 piece, 3/4 jointed or half jointed. His half jointed cues usually feature a 5/16x14 stainless joint.

I believe his half jointed cues are usually butterfly spliced cues like Gauthier cues. I have not seen any hand spliced half jointed cue from Kevin but I have no reason to doubt that he will be able to do it if you pay him enough money.:-)

Kevin's taper is not exactly slim so I would not ask him to make it any thicker unless you prefer to have a very stiff hit. Most people buy his cues because of the way it hits and as I am sure you know the taper is very important when it comes to how a cue plays.

Kevin's cues are very nice, and hit very well on average. In my opinion, he makes the best butterfly spliced ash cues in Canada, bar none.

Kevin makes a very fine half jointed maple cue as well. His cues in my opinion are quite consistent and his workmanship is very nice. Having said that, the best half jointed maple snooker cues I have tried was a Gauthier cue made with an old Denvon****e butt with his old red/black joint collar.

The best maple cues (3/4 and 1 piece) from Kevin Deroo are really amazing, they hit better than the best half jointed Gauthier I tried, and the worksmanship was also better. They are very powerful and solid cues--effortless to move the ball around the table, with great feedback and very nice feel.

I have not really tried that many half jointed maple cues from Kevin Deroo. So, it is hard to comment. I feel that the ones I tried do not hit like his 3/4 maple cues.

The way I would compare someone's work is just to judge it as a cue--not as a half jointed cue or 1 piece cue or 3/4 cue. In that regards, as I said, the best Kevin Deroo cues (3/4 and 1 piece) are really amazing--but then they are also quite a bit more expensive.:-)

Brunswick Trophy cues are not as good a playing cue as a top Kevin Deroo 3/4 or 1 piece maple cue in my opinion--but they are nice collectibles to have.

Playability is very subjective, this is just my own opinion based on my own experience.

If you can find it in your neck of woods the late Marcel's cues are also really well made and sort after. He made the cue Alain used to win pretty much all his titles while in the UK. Some may consider his half jointed cue the best ever come from Canada.

There is a cue maker in Quebec called Bernard who also makes butterfly spliced half jointed cues like Gauthier and Jacque, although I cannot comment on the quality as I have never seen or tried one in person.

If you are looking for a nice cue and want to have the chance to try before you buy, you may want to contact Terry Davidson who lives in Alma, Ontario. He plays in most of the tour stops and invitational events in Ontario, as well as the Canadian snooker championship. Terry is a good player as well as a top coach. He is a member here and has a training facility with a table at his place.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 26 January 2012, 07:45 PM.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
              Kevin's taper is not exactly slim so I would not ask him to make it any thicker unless you prefer to have a very stiff hit. Most people buy his cues because of the way it hits and as I am sure you know the taper is very important when it comes to how a cue plays.

Kevin makes a very fine half jointed maple cue as well. His cues in my opinion are quite consistent and his workmanship is very nice. Having said that, the best half jointed maple snooker cues I have tried was a Gauthier cue made with an old Denvon****e butt with his old red/black joint collar.

The best maple cues (3/4 and 1 piece) from Kevin Deroo are really amazing, they hit better than the best half jointed Gauthier I tried, and the worksmanship was also better. They are very powerful and solid cues--effortless to move the ball around the table, with great feedback and very nice feel.

I have not really tried that many half jointed maple cues from Kevin Deroo. So, it is hard to comment. I feel that the ones I tried do not hit like his 3/4 maple cues.

The way I would compare someone's work is just to judge it as a cue--not as a half jointed cue or 1 piece cue or 3/4 cue. In that regards, as I said, the best Kevin Deroo cues (3/4 and 1 piece) are really amazing--but then they are also quite a bit more expensive.:-)

If you can find it in your neck of woods the late Marcel's cues are also really well made and sort after. He made the cue Alain used to win pretty much all his titles while in the UK. Some may consider his half jointed cue the best ever come from Canada.
              Thanks for the insight PJ. You're praising of his 3/4 has me intrigued. I'd love to hit sum ball with his 3/4 and 2 pc maple cus to see with feel I like better. I only know of one guy around these parts that have a Deroo 2pc so I cant have an opinion on the 3/4 maple.

My friend just sold his Marcel 2pc ash cue. I played with it a few times but I didn't like it much. Didn't like the chunky then slimmer taper close to the tip. Plus I didn't like the feel of the hit. IMO my 60 year old maple Brunswick hits better but thats jus my preference.

I have some thinking to do becus now I am intrigued by his 3/4 maple cue.

Comment

Thanks for the insight PJ. You're praising of his 3/4 has me intrigued. I'd love to hit sum ball with his 3/4 and 2 pc maple cus to see which feel I like better. I only know of one guy around these parts that have a Deroo 2pc so I can't have an opinion on his 3/4 maple. I'd bet it hits good tho.

My friend just sold his Marcel 2pc ash cue. I played with it a few times but I didn't like it much. Didn't like the chunky then slimmer taper close to the tip. Plus I didn't like the feel of the hit. IMO my 60 year old maple Brunswick hits better but thats jus my preference.

I have some thinking to do becus now I am intrigued by his 3/4 maple cue.

Comment

Working...
                X