3-5 chevron'd cue, dark grain yellow ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted 3-5 chevron'd cue, dark grain yellow ash

I've had a few quotes for a cue to be made. Many of the U.K makers have quoted 10 month and beyond wait, and I don't feel I can wait that long. So I'm looking here to see what's on offer.

Before someone mentions "why not check out some Chinese sellers" I've contacted a fair few already. And none of them can understand English good enough to carry out the work that I require. The last thing I want is a cue that isn't to my specifications, and then me losing out on postage sending it back.

Here are my required specifications.

Style - One Piece or 3/4 (Ideally 3/4 for ease of transport)
    Shaft - Ash, Yellow/Gold in colour with a dark grain and 3-5 evenly spaced chevrons
    Length - 57-58"
    Tip - 9.5-10mm
    Weight - 17.0-17.5oz (the closer to 17.0 the better)
    Butt - 29-30mm

Price wise I want to spend as little as possible. As I won't be paying a deposit and having time to save the rest until completion, I only have around £150 to spend. I only work Part-Time, so I can only spare £150 each month. So please don't offer anything over £150 as I simply wouldn't be able to afford it. Unless I could spread the payments over a few months and then you sending the cue upon the final payment. I don't mind doing this, so long as I know you're a reputable seller.

To Kevin i sent you an e-mail already. However you don't seem to understand what i want. I can't reply to your P.M as you have them disabled.

This is what i sent to you in an e-mail.

My specs were as follows.

Style - 3/4 with invisible joint and Butt Joint
    Shaft - Ash, Yellow/Gold in colour with a dark grain and 3-5 evenly spaced chevrons
    Butt Timber - Cocobolo/Paduak
    Splices - 4 Lower Splices in Curly/Flame Maple with Black/Ebony veneers, then 4 Higher Splices in Pink Ivory/Purple Heart with Black/Ebony veneers. (Also if possible, can you add Black/Ebony veneers to the points on the butt timber. I asked for this to be done buy a different cue maker before but they said you needed a jointed cue to do it.)
    Length - 58"
    Tip - 9.5mm
    Butt - 29.5-30mm
    Balance point - 17.5-18"
    Extras - Mini Butt in Cocobolo/Padauk and Extendable extension. And 3/4 leather case

Here is a quick mock up of what i mean with the splices.

Comment

You are going to struggle to find any quality cue maker to make you that for £150. Add another £100 and you'll be closer to the mark, even then you will be restricting yourself to Mastercraft, Craftsman, Travis. In all honesty I would ditch the splices, they are going to put the price up way above what you really want to spend. You can't have a budget then ask for a multi spliced butt with all the trimmings.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
        You are going to struggle to find any quality cue maker to make you that for £150. Add another £100 and you'll be closer to the mark, even then you will be restricting yourself to Mastercraft, Craftsman, Travis. In all honesty I would ditch the splices, they are going to put the price up way above what you really want to spend. You can't have a budget then ask for a multi spliced butt with all the trimmings.
        The only company I would think you could negotiate this type of splicing for the money would be dunns cues.

I agree with cueman, ditch the splicing or up the budget. Sorry bud, you probably already know this anyway.

Comment

If your Wanting 3-5 Evenly Spaced Chevrons thats Normally around £60+ Extra on the Price of any Cue as they Class that as Selected Shaft as there will be only so many of these out of each batch of Timber they have.

To get a Good Shaft and the Butt you want you will have to Up your Budget but Personally I would Ditch the Design and just go for a Cue you can Use!

I know alot of people want Fancy Designs on the Butt of there Cue but too be 100% Honest 70% of Guys who have Orderd these Designs cannot play with it afterwards....Mention no Names!

Try and find a Cue Close to the Specs you want and at a Further Date when you have Cash to Spend buy your dream cue.

Hope this helps.

Gaz.

Comment

Style - 3/4 with invisible joint and Butt Joint
            Butt Timber - Cocobolo/Paduak
            Splices - 4 Lower Splices in Curly/Flame Maple with Black/Ebony veneers, then 4 Higher Splices in Pink Ivory/Purple Heart with Black/Ebony veneers. (Also if possible, can you add Black/Ebony veneers to the points on the butt timber. I asked for this to be done buy a different cue maker before but they said you needed a jointed cue to do it.)
            Length - 58"
            Tip - 9.5mm
            Butt - 29.5-30mm
            Balance point - 17.5-18"
            Extras - Mini Butt in Cocobolo/Padauk and Extendable extension. And 3/4 leather case

Am i reading this correctly .......you want all of the above for £150.00 ? and no deposit ?

3/4 leather case / mini butt / extension will cost at least £150.00 .
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

its no wonder cue makers charge more, the more **** you take the dearer it gets

Comment

Hmmm, you'd be very lucky to get a cue; made to your specs, in your design, with a selected shaft as well as a leather case plus extensions. A decent 2nd hand leather case is usually upwards of £125, not to mention extensions which are around £30+ each depending on the cue maker.

Comment

Originally Posted by hunter101 View Post
                  I can only spare £150 each month. So please don't offer anything over £150 as I simply wouldn't be able to afford it. Unless I could spread the payments over a few months and then you sending the cue upon the final payment. I don't mind doing this, so long as I know you're a reputable seller.
                  I should have perhaps explained it better. I can pay a £150 deposit now. And then the rest upon completion. So i have a rather big budget for a custom made cue to my required specs.

However.... for a second hand cue on here buying it right now i only have £150. I would be expecting something like a CueCraft with a Mini butt, or a Mastercraft with no extras for my budget.

The design for Kevin/Kent from Woods is the design i e-mailed to quite a few cue makers. Lot's could do the work but all had very long waiting times. Kent has just gotten back to me with a build time of 40-60 days. And i can wait that long. But some makers quoted upto 10 months and beyond. I would get itchy fingers and buy another during that time, and i don't want to have to pick and choose what to use.

Just to clarify, for someone like Trevor White, Wright Cues i was willing to go upto £600 just for the cue and extensions. As for the case i would then have gone to Crispian. But as i said already i don't want to be waiting that long for a cue to be made. So unfortunately i had to look elsewhere.
                  Last edited by hunter101; 24 January 2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Good things come to those who wait. Or got to Mastercraft.
                    Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Mastercraft didn't get back to me after i sent a few e-mails. I value good customer service also, so no reply = no buyer i'm afraid.

Comment

Fair enough...

Do some searches on woods cues vie the search function top right. Bit iffy if i remember rightly.

Comment

I've contacted Kent from Woods. And they said they can carry out my work. The price i was quoted was very reasonable, and only a 40-60 day wait. Well and the 15 or so days for Chinese New Year. But that can't be helped. So i'll be getting one from them. Hopefully it will turn out to my expectations.

I have read good and bad about them, but i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as i've seen far more better cues than poor ones from them. In fact i've only seen one poor cue from them on here.

I also contacted Andy Travis, as he did a great cue for me already. However he can't get hold of selected shafts. And the shaft is the number one thing for me.

Comment

Originally Posted by hunter101 View Post
                            Mastercraft didn't get back to me after i sent a few e-mails. I value good customer service also, so no reply = no buyer i'm afraid.
                            I had this experience twice after I had spoken to them on the phone and they said email them the full requirements.

Comment

Look forward to seeing the finished artical!

Comment

Working...
                              X