Has Anyone Used These Tips??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Used These Tips??

I have collected billiard items for just over 30 years and was taking some pictures the other night. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried some of these older tips. The next time I change my tip, I am going to try one of the B&W tips pictured on the left of my attachment. All the tips are fibre backed and feel firmer than Elkmasters. Some of the boxes have stray blue tips in them, which I presume would be very old Blue Diamonds or EM’s. At some point I might give one of them a try as well.

Also I am amused by the Kieckhefer tips. I am not certain what relevance the frog sitting on the cue tip has. I had never heard of tips made from frog skin.

Mike
    Attached Files

Nice collection, I've never seen so many different old tips before, they look great and the boxes are fantastic.

Perhaps the frog is to give a little extra 'spring' when you play a shot?!
    Last edited by KeithinFrance; 4 March 2009, 01:24 PM.
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Thanks Keith, also I had never heard of Brown Diamonds until I grouped them together for the picture.

After taking the picture I came across a full box of Blue Knights. They look to be very similar to Blue Diamonds and EM’s. I am not certain but I vaguely(old age) recall using Blue Knights in the 70's.

Mike

Comment

Never heard of Blue Knights! Maybe they were US/Can only tips? I only started playing in the 80's so maybe one of our older members can shed some light on the subject?
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Keith, you tweaked my curiosity, so I went down and took a picture. I think you are right, they must be from this side of the pond because they are 13mm. Here’s a pic.

Mike
          Attached Files

Comment

we get them them here in 10mm - very soft tip.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Andrew,

Again, if my memory serves me right, they were(are) a poor tip. I think that I pulled the Blue Knight off my cue on the second or third session. Have you ever tried any of the older tips from my first post? I am quite impressed with the feel (thumb nail) of the B&Ws.

Also your logo ADR147 looks very familiar to me. I think I’ve purchased from you in the past. I’m mpp147 on ebay.

Mike

Comment

yes they were too soft - possibly i don't remember though!
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                  Never heard of Blue Knights! Maybe they were US/Can only tips? I only started playing in the 80's so maybe one of our older members can shed some light on the subject?
                  Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                  we get them them here in 10mm - very soft tip.
                  I'm very glad that one of our older members was indeed able to help!!

Comment

Hey Mike P,
                    Are you aware if any of the possible old Blue diamonds you have there,are the ones they used to refer too as....Blue Diamond Hi-Tops...Have you ever played with a 'Hi top'?..If so,are they good and are you able to get some????.........Thanks.

Comment

I checked to see if Hi-Top is anywhere on the box, it is not. Years ago someone installed a Blue Knight for me. It was a very soft tip and I took it off after a couple of sessions. That installation might have been what caused me to start tipping my own cues. If they are like other tips of a similar composition, it can been a hit or miss when finding a good tip. I will keep my eyes peeled for the Hi-Top for you. If you want to try these, let me know I’ll sent you a few.

Mike

Comment

If you find some Hi-Tops for me,let me know.
                        Thanks mate......................jgrimanes@bigpond.com

Comment

Working...
                        X