X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black mh is what it has on back so medium hard

Comment

Thanks Doc,

that has at least brought some light into the matter. But know having said that, Frazz, has brought up another point. Frazz who would you be and what connection do you have to JH? I mean anybody can just write, what they think they know here but I'd be interested in where you get this insight!

Thanks for your time Doc, and Frazz also if you'd be good enough to answer my question.

Thanks again,

Bri
      Quote : It took me eight hours a day for 16 years to become an overnight sensation! Cliff Thorburn

Comment

my name is fraser patrick, i was a pro snooker player 2seasons ago, played in same club as john higgins and the doctor or as i know him richy. i have known john for about 8years maybe more, done his tips for last 4 years, put on the tips he won last 2 worlds with and countless other tournaments. the cue he is using now the north west, i re-finished the cue for him, nice dark grain nice light ash. i also do graham dotts tips and jamie burnetts, and while they were pro scott mackenzies and james mcbains. hope this gives me ground to comment on what kind of tips john uses and what is good lol

Comment

Thanks for the info Fraser.

I've just looked at the official Kamui website and they state that they make Black tips in 'S', 'SS', 'M' and 'H'!! Do you know if John gets some specially made in 'MH'??

Are they only sold in 14mm size or can you now buy them in smaller sizes?

Thanks for any info

Oldgit
          'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Frazz,

Thanks for the quick reply! And of course the sound answer that tosses doubt into the wind!

Now I see Oldgit has asked the one or the other good question. If you can answer those as well, then you've made my day.

Sizes, hardness, where to buy?

Thanks,

Bri.
            Quote : It took me eight hours a day for 16 years to become an overnight sensation! Cliff Thorburn

Comment

Sounds pretty definative there, I will maybe try one. Although I like the hit of talismans. Also waiting for these new tips, whenever Tony gets round to sending them. The last batch of buffalo we got were faulty and almost all of them seperated. It's a pitty because they are a great tip and it seems john has lost confidence in them due to this. Perhaps the new ones will be better. Will try to get up for a game asap m8.
              "Don't think, feel"

Comment

bce is going to be the distributor for the uk and this is where john gets the tips from, he gets his in 11mm size. the tips john gets i am sure have mh on the back, not 100% sure but i think thats what it is anyways, i have just looked on the kamui site also and as u stated there aint any mh on there, i dont know if its any different with the snooker sizes they do but i'll try and find out. i just looked on the bce/riley site and currently there is no kamui tips on there but keep checking and they should be available soon.

Comment

I'm not John Higgins but i will say that the Kamui Black is definitely the best tip i have used.. i tried the Medium but found it a little hard and i am now using the soft.. it really is a great tip!!.. i have been a Talisman soft user for a couple of years but i wont be going back to them... unless this new one that the DOCTOR is demoing is any good... lol... fickle people us snooker players... lol

Comment

Will you not be using Talisman again because JH is not using them or is it because you find it more suited to your game?
                    Let me say, there are loads of great tips on the market and it is up to each individual to find out what suits them best.
                    JH never seemed to be having too much bother with Talisman until recently(i have already stated that i believe the last batch to have been faulty) but when you lose confidence in something it is very hard to get it back.
                    I put a Moori on a cue about 2 weeks ago and after the person had a miscue it took an almighty chunk out of the tip. Now for £15 a tip, that is sore
                    Subsequently, i put on a granite pro for another guy, and he loves it, although it has required reshaping a couple of times.
                    So there you go, £15 tip was bad for one person £2 tip great for another,
                    not to mention the number of times a cue with elk master has come out on top, just a pity the standard of them is no where near as good as it once was.
                    I will give the Kamui a try like i have done others, but i like the way Talisman M play.
                    Another great tip is MW laminated and Hercules 23 layers.
                    It really depends on your preference and playing level.
                    I would think most average players would struggle with the hardness of JH tip but given how good a cueist he is it suits his game.
                    "Don't think, feel"

Comment

The Doctor

Don't get me wrong, i did like the Talisman, but i really do prefer the Black Kamui Soft. I got my best mate playing with Talisman and they just wouldn't stop falling apart. BUT i never had a problem with them i have to say! He does hit the ball much harder than me... lol

The Kamui black has been superb, holds chalk really well, doesn't need to be ruffed up as much as the Talisman, and i'd say that i seem to get more action with the cueball, but i suppose with confidence comes good timing so that could just be down to confidence!

I tried the Pro Granite and i really didn't like them... please don't flame me... i ain't saying there a bad tip but they are not for me.

I had the tip conversation with Martin Chesworth over the phone the other day, i really have tried just about every tip there is to play with, and i will stick my neck out and say the Kamui Black is definitely the best so far in my opinion!

The standard i play at, probably get flamed for this but i had 145 and 3 other centuries on Saturday in practice, but that was an exeptional day, so i'd say i play to a pretty decent standard and am more than capable of judging a decent tip, BUT you must remember tip choice will always be about personal preference!

Finally... i got the 14mm version at £11 per tip and cut them in half so they pretty much work out at the same price as a Talisman... gonna get my mate Wayne Cooper to play with one when i retip his cue if i can talk him into it... and get a really good players view of them.. lol

Comment

i wouldnt recommend cutting them in half to get 2 tips out of them, cutting through the middle puts unnecessary stress on the layers and can cause separation and delaminating so is not a good idea i dont think. i know the price for the tips is dear but its even worse if you ruin one

Comment

I'm not going to flame you for your opinion m8, that's what its all about.
                          I have not tried a Kamui so i cant comment.
                          They may well be the best.
                          I am still waiting on the new Talismans which are made from cow hide.
                          I definitely comes down to personal preference. by the sound of it you have found the right tip for you and good on you, keep up the high standard.
                          "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Originally Posted by frazz View Post
                            i wouldnt recommend cutting them in half to get 2 tips out of them, cutting through the middle puts unnecessary stress on the layers and can cause separation and delaminating so is not a good idea i dont think. i know the price for the tips is dear but its even worse if you ruin one
                            Totally agree with you... except have you seen the size of the little buggars.. and i'm only stressing the part of the tip that i am sanding into a soft dome.. i glue the unstressed part of the tip to the cue.. plus i always use a brand new Stanley Blade to do it!!

If you are a fan of the Talisman you owe it to yourself to try these tips.. like i said... the medium was too hard for my playing style.. but the soft is perfect.

But i will try the new Talisman's when they become available!!

Comment

yeah i know what size they are, i have tried cutting tips in half before because of the size but i found it ruined the tip whether using brand new stanleys or not. its your call whether you do this or not i am just saying what you risk doing.

Comment

Fraser, you were right about 'MH'!! I have just found a company that is already selling the new Black Kamui tips and they have 'M' and 'MH' in size 11mm.

I have just ordered a 11mm 'Medium' black kamui which 'only' cost nine pounds including shipping.....

Oldgit
                                Last edited by Oldgit; 23 March 2010, 10:06 PM.
                                'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Working...
                                X