Tweeten's chalks: Master > Triangle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweeten's chalks: Master > Triangle

Thought I'd share the knowledge about these chalks I gained through experience and by asking the president of Tweeten Fibre Co., Inc

I asked:
    What do you consider to be the differences in needs between pool and snooker regarding chalk, and what characteristics of your master and triangle chalks do you consider tailor to those needs?
    Response (essence thereof):
    Master chalk was developed for pool, stronger shot force, therefore provides softer feel and coats more as pool players didn't chalk as often as snooker and billiards players. Master chalk provides more grip and smoother coating which results in greater control and english.
    And that is why master chalk is the overall favorite, at present.

I've always preferred master chalk over triangle for snooker (and pool) because it provides more grip on the cueball and because of that, I always get fewer miscues and I can strike nearer the outside/edge of the cue ball. On top of that, it covers the entire tip much more easily and does so for much longer requiring fewer applications.

The downside of the softer master chalk is, it tends to visibly smear/stain onto the cue ball more than triange chalk. This for me is actually a big plus, because the harder triangle chalk turns into clouds of dust and goes everywhere. For me, I'd rather have to clean a welll defined spot of chalk off something (such as the cueball) than have chalk dust on the cue ball, cloth and cue that's so finely spread it cannot always be easily spotted, but may build up over time.

One theory behind using triangle chalk for snooker is that snooker players tend to use softer tips, so for the same grip you could use a harder chalk (that won't leave dots on the cue ball as much), but a softer chalk on a soft tip will still provide more cue ball grip than a hard chalk on that same tip.

I used to play with blue master chalk because from my testing I knew this provides great grip on the cue ball but in competition I've had opponents complain about blue dots on the cue ball more than once, asking me to use "normal" green triangle chalk, so I switched to that during those games and limited my shot selection accordingly.

Hearing of this left Mr. Nemecek, president of Tweeten, annoyed. He understands that a blue spot on the cue ball could distract someone, but shares my opinion that prevention of miscues and having a properly chalked tip is more important. It's more of an excuse than a real problem, IMO players should just concentrate on the pot. If you didn't pot the ball with the cue ball having a chalk mark on it, I'd wager you weren't going to pot it in the first place. The green master does not appear to stain the cue ball as obviously as the blue.

I've always stuck with blue master chalk because it was the first colour of master chalk I used and loved it, but because the green version is less likely to aggrivate opponents, I did try the green version a while ago. I got a few miscues with it and decided to just stick with blue, but I think it was down to player error. Mr. Nemecek reassured me that the color of the chalk makes absolutely no difference to the performance of it. Think of it as adding a drop of dye to a glass of water. It changes colour but it's still gonna taste and behave like water.

I've recently tried the green master chalk again and had absolutely no problem, seems to perform the same as the blue, so I can confirm Mr. Nemecek's point. If I ever change my mind, which I doubt, you WILL absolutely read about it in this thread.

On the matter of taste, I also asked if a player has diarrhea during a tournament, can the chalk be eaten to help absorb toxins? Well.....it contains no toxins of its own and it's mostly fine sand so it might work. Not sure if it'll do the job much like charcoal would though. You do get to pick your colour....

In closing, I believe it's time for many snooker players to realize there may be something better out there than triangle chalk and it's called master chalk. If anyone is worried about kicks, I think first we should figure out what kicks are actually caused by, before we start pointing fingers to the chalk, let alone the type of chalk. If the chalk is at fault, future research results might prove that the dustier, more dry, triangle chalk or equivalent are actually more likely to produce kicks than the softer chalks. The dust may cover a larger area of the cue ball that you cannot see. Who knows...
    Last edited by Roenie; 25 September 2010, 08:14 PM.

Interesting post, thanks for that. It's something I've been saying for a long time over here, that Master is better than Triangle because it's softer and easy to apply, and that it doesn't matter which colour you choose as it's the same recipe - it's nice to know that I was right for once!
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

I always thought triangle was much better
      I will give master a try sometime soon

Its just difficult to get hold of original chalk here
      Would you believe where i live we ONLY get fake chalks

Comment

i dont believe its necessarily better, but the quality control and consistency factor certainly is better with master.

i tried half a dozen pieces of master chalk recently (and still am using it) and to be honest, its great. better consistency. but i still prefer a GOOD piece of triangle. which seems pretty hard to get. i agree that triangle is too dry and hard, but sometimes u get soft clean pieces that dont rub on so thick, but are smooth and soft. those are the pieces i like the best. one way i workd out to find them is, if you look in a box of triangle chalk, some pieces (well, most) will hav a smooth circle indentation in the middle. however, some of the circles look like theyve been done wet, or, theyre not smooth at all but hav ripple like effects from the centre out. those ones i find are a touch moister and softer than the other ones. however, in a box of 12, your might find only 1 or 2 like that. if even -_- i always raid my local halls box for those pieces lol

Comment

This is a very interesting subject indeed and one that i brought to the forum a few year ago.
          A number of years ago i started testing laminated tips(long before anyone else i know of) and i introduced them to some fellow pros at the time(John Higgins being the 1st). Quickly i realised that the chalk and the tips did not best suit. I emailed a block called Skip at Tweetens and asked him the difference between the chalks and why.
          He told me of the silicon content is greater in Master chalk and hence the difference in application. For a no. of years thereafter i used green master chalk and found a big difference in chalk retention.
          That being said, the new Talisman cowhide tips offer incredible chalk retention with either.
          I am amazed that Tweetens have not sought to move with the times and bring out a new tip, as i feel the quality of the tips produced recently have sharply declined. It would be interesting to hear if they have changed their stance on this subject.
          Very good to hear that other people are as inquisitive. Great thread.
          "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Does this mean that for lamited tips master chalk is better suited?

Comment

I found this to be the case however a lot of people still use triangle chalk. I would say its done to personal preference.
              "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Hmm,
                I love talisman but dont use it anymore because everu 3-4 hours of play the tip becomes shiney and the chalk just falls down when i chalk the cue. And no matter how much chalk i apply on cue i can still see the leather. its like applying chalk on silk

I spoke to Tony who said its because the chalk layering up and advised me to lightly sand the tip. But sanding the tip every 3-4 hours is ridiculous in my opinion

DO you think master chalk might be a better option?
                Or do you have any other suggestion on the tip?

Comment

I have a medium Talisman on two different cues and use triangle chalk , one tip holds the chalk really well and the other not half as well , i have to more or less colour the tip rather than chalking it .

Comment

same problem
                    ive used 1 medium and 1 soft. but in both cases had to colour the tips

Comment

I would try using the master chalk. Or use the new talisman tips when available.
                      "Don't think, feel"

Comment

desperately waiting for the new talisman tips

Comment

btw
                          Does any one know how the Blue diamond chalk and teh Pioneer chalk
                          Who makes them and how are they compared to Triangle

Comment

When you hit the ball repeatedly with your tip, what a lot of people do not realize is that the heat caused by the friction of the shot can "burnish" the leather surface to the point of closing up the fibre so they no longer hold chalk. This effect is particularly obvious during a miscue.
                            When you have an old tip with each layer having been compacted to the point of losing most of its elasticity, you will have more problem miscuing because the leather has no "sping" and "bounce" so when it makes contact with the cue ball, it has nowhere to recoil and the heat generated by the friction of the contact will close up the leather in no time. As the tip gets thinner, it gets heated up faster, causing the leather to close up easier.
                            I think a better way to prevent this is to use thicker layers of leather of higher elasticity so each layer can "recoil" upon impact reducing the compression and the heat being accumulated at a particular spot. Moreover, the heat generated can be dissipated among a thicker body of leather so the surface does not get heated up and close up so easily.
                            Just my opinion.
                            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 28 September 2010, 03:56 AM.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Might the tip becoming burnished be the result of repeatedly striking dirty balls? The local club balls must have all sorts of sweat, Walkers crisp's or KP nuts grease, and (reading another forum thread), even urine on the surface!

Those little tip picks look good if a little pricey, although I'm concerned with what one might do to my laminated tip. So far I've found a nice little warding file from my local Wilko's, used with a twisting motion is working OK, but I'm going to get a sample of green Master chalk to try it out too.

Comment

Working...
                              X