Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cases - Are we getting ripped off as usual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cases - Are we getting ripped off as usual?

Edited to avoid upsetting anyone.
    Last edited by firefrets; 21 February 2011, 05:55 PM.

Yes they do look ok from a distance don't they. I went straight to the best quality you can get
    http://www.s212939144.websitehome.co.uk/cacabunja/
    Not cheap but worth it compared to what you experienced
    Here is my beauty;

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Yes they do look ok from a distance don't they. I went straight to the best quality you can get
      http://www.s212939144.websitehome.co.uk/cacabunja/
      Not cheap but worth it compared to what you experienced
      Here is my beauty;
      Yeah, I looked at his site before.

Some great looking cases, and I presume the leather is up to the finger nail test, but they're more than I want to pay now I'm only playing for fun. If Cris wants to ease my pain and sell me one for £100 or there abouts then I'll gladly have a chat with him.

No case should cost more than my cue lol, and I say that respectfully.

Comment

Originally Posted by firefrets View Post
        ....No case should cost more than my cue lol, and I say that respectfully.
        Simple solution to that, buy a more expensive cue
        Lots of imitation type leather cases around, but for real leather say peradon ones its £150 ish or more and they are not out of this world impressive either

Comment

Simple solution to that, buy a more expensive cue
          Lots of imitation type leather cases around, but for real leather say peradon ones its £150 ish or more and they are not out of this world impressive either
          It would be wrong of me to suggest their cases are from China, but it wouldn't be wrong of me to say that the same cases are sold within those links.

China:
          http://uk.alibaba.com/product/305597...-cue-case.html

Peradon:
          http://www.peradon.co.uk/pages/cues/cases/leather1.html

China:
          http://uk.alibaba.com/product/305599...oker-case.html

China:
          http://uk.alibaba.com/product/286416...rk-design.html

Maximum
          http://www.maximumbreak-snooker-stor...her-Cue-Cases/

Cue and case man etc
          http://www.cues-cuecases.co.uk/

Comment

Have the mods stopped us from chatting about dodgy cases?

I didn't notice anything in the rules to suggest we can't show where suppliers get their stock from.

Tricky one eh lads.

If anyone knows of 'genuinely great quality' cases that are made here in the UK and not China etc, but that don't cost silly money, then perhaps you could chime in please.

Obviously I'd like to keep the price at around £100 where possible. I was going to buy the alluminium wide case for about £39, but it gets a bit boring carting ally around, so a nice 'strong leather' 3/4 case would be nice.

Comment

Originally Posted by firefrets View Post
              Obviously I'd like to keep the price at around £100 where possible. I was going to buy the alluminium wide case for about £39, but it gets a bit boring carting ally around, so a nice 'strong leather' 3/4 case would be nice.
              Likewise. I am getting a new cue from Terry in April and I want a better case to put it in, ideally leather, but the prices .. they're too much for me.
              "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
              - Linus Pauling

Comment

All rather lost on me - All I want from a case is to protect my cue and extras.

Decent aluminium is way to go for me - everything else is just bling / pose value surely....

I do think the patchwork leather cases are truly beautiful- to look at and cuddle at home - but not really cost effective or ergonomic for me.

However I do sympathise with you - paying a reasonable price for quality and getting sub standard / damaged goods is never acceptable - right to name and shame.

Postage is always an issue too - extra profit margins for some me thinks.

Hope the problem is resolved.

regards Sprobasket.

Comment

If you're not set on having a fancy design leather case then I can recommend getting a black aluminum double case from BandWbilliards (Birmingham area I believe). From memory only, website might be 'bandwbilliards.co.uk'. Talk to Yvonne.

I have a double one which will hold 2 cues and extensions and I can guarantee it's very sturdy as Gatwick managed to lose it on one trip and it was found a week later jammed underneath a conveyor belt and outside of one minor scrape there was no other apparant damage and the 2 cues inside were fine.

It also has a small compartment for chalk, etc.

Terry
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Can never understand why people want these fancy leather cases, after all surely the main and only purpose of a case is to protect your cue? So then why is it that I know countless people who have bought flash leather cases only for them to be completly beat up and damaged within a couple of years, yet my trusty aluminium case despite the knocks is still doing its job after 15 years!

Not only that but I know of quite a few who have paid more for a case than the value of their cue! What is the point in that? You'd be more worried about damaging your case than you would your cue!

Comment

Having a nice case helps overcome the disappointment of playing like a lemon

Comment

Having a nice case helps overcome the disappointment of playing like a lemon
                        You know I think thats the main reason people have em, to make em look like better players. Personally i think it makes you look more of a fool though. I've played some people with really flashy cases expecting a good player, it never ceases to amaze me how crap some of them are. I never make that mistake of judging a player by their cue or case again.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                          .... I've played some people with really flashy cases expecting a good player....
                          Psychological warfare lol.......worth at least 7 points start

Comment

i am amazed how these cases can be made at these prices, irispective of the quality, it goes to show just how much we all get ripped off in the uk !
                            I know that my cases are amongst the most expensive, but when pricing them i have to make it worth while putting in the hours and effort they take.

here is a break down of what i use when making every case, and more importantly what each item costs me !

Leather (£140 a hide) divided by 4 cases = £40
                            Suede £10
                            contact spray ahesive = £3.20
                            contact adhesive (inside lining of case) = £2.50
                            strip pine x 4pcs = £6
                            ply wood x 2 stips = £3
                            craft glue (£2.99 makes 2 cases) = £1.50
                            thread £5
                            5 x butterfly hindges (60p each) =£3
                            2 brass butts = £2.90
                            case latches (75p each if bought by the hundred) = £3.75
                            brass screws (62 per case,£2.99 per box of 50) =£3.70
                            postage via parcelflight (i dont charge uk cases) =£13
                            bubble wrap (8 cases on average from 20 mtr roll @ £23) = £2.87

Thats just over £100 without adding brown parcel tape, baking for embroidery, needles, wood glue, stanley blades, dremel bits(for sanding) cutting wheels (for cutting leather/suede) cutting matt, scissors, and the new dremel i bought today ! (£89.99)

now i am not trying to justify my own prices (honestly) but how come there are countries in this messed up world where they can even make cases at these prices ?

And as for aluminium cases, you cant get anything better !

Comment

crispian, very interesting break down of costs. I guess some of these items may be sourced cheaper in other countries, or perhaps they just source cheaper parts, or even do both.

How long does a case take you to make, in general?
                              "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                              - Linus Pauling

Comment

Working...
                              X