Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cases - Are we getting ripped off as usual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one of Crispian's cases and it is a lovely case!

firefrets, If you want a fairly cheap leatherette case, the try ADR147 on here. I am having a 3/4 cue made, to see what they are like, so bought one of these cases off ADR. It arrived today and I have just opened the parcel. It seems to be quite a good case for the money.

The cost:- £50. So, firefrets, get one and see for yourself. If you do not like it, then you will easily be able to get rid of it.
    :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
      You know I think thats the main reason people have em, to make em look like better players. Personally i think it makes you look more of a fool though. I've played some people with really flashy cases expecting a good player, it never ceases to amaze me how crap some of them are. I never make that mistake of judging a player by their cue or case again.
      Well, I'm as crap as they come, so perhaps we've met.

I agree in your 'other' post, that the purpose of a case is to protect your cue.

Can I presume your cue has a painted butt and a white plastic tip sleeve? After all, the purpose of a cue is to just pot balls .... is it not?

Can I also presume that your case is 2 old football socks pulled over either end of the cue, with a shoe lace tying them together in the middle?

It isn't?

The above examples are 'exactly' what I first used as a kid, when we weren't sword fighting with our cues. I'd have given most people who laughed a 50 start though at the time, not that anyone laughed, as improvisation was key back then.

35 years on, from my first game in the club my dad took me to, I no longer need to stand on the milk crate, or ask for a straw in my drink, but during that time, I've 'never' had a nice case, and the cue I use now has been with me for over 20 years, while my best friend changes his every few months.

I've just returned to the game after being out for a long time, and thought I'd treat myself to a new case ... and ... a new cue, which I've already bought, despite it not being perfectly straight, and an inch and 1/2 shorter than my other.

I can play just as bad with both, but if I 'want to protect' both of them, then I need another case.

As I want to take 'both' out with me, I decided I needed one case that would hold 'both' cues, and this narrows my options down considerably.

I don't want a one piece case, as they're not good for the car, so it has to be a 3/4 tournament style case, and they're not cheap.

I didn't want yet another alluminium type case, as I've had them before. I wanted something a little more personal, and something that would give me a smile every time I open it.

I guess I'm now officially 'a fool' as some might say.

Comment

Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
        i am amazed how these cases can be made at these prices, irispective of the quality, it goes to show just how much we all get ripped off in the uk !
        I know that my cases are amongst the most expensive, but when pricing them i have to make it worth while putting in the hours and effort they take.

here is a break down of what i use when making every case, and more importantly what each item costs me !

Leather (£140 a hide) divided by 4 cases = £40
        Suede £10
        contact spray ahesive = £3.20
        contact adhesive (inside lining of case) = £2.50
        strip pine x 4pcs = £6
        ply wood x 2 stips = £3
        craft glue (£2.99 makes 2 cases) = £1.50
        thread £5
        5 x butterfly hindges (60p each) =£3
        2 brass butts = £2.90
        case latches (75p each if bought by the hundred) = £3.75
        brass screws (62 per case,£2.99 per box of 50) =£3.70
        postage via parcelflight (i dont charge uk cases) =£13
        bubble wrap (8 cases on average from 20 mtr roll @ £23) = £2.87

Thats just over £100 without adding brown parcel tape, baking for embroidery, needles, wood glue, stanley blades, dremel bits(for sanding) cutting wheels (for cutting leather/suede) cutting matt, scissors, and the new dremel i bought today ! (£89.99)

now i am not trying to justify my own prices (honestly) but how come there are countries in this messed up world where they can even make cases at these prices ?

And as for aluminium cases, you cant get anything better !
        These companies make thousands of cases every week Crispian, and source their own materials in many cases, so their costs are incredibly low.

However their quality is very good cosmetics wise. Inside the case, the quality is superb. Outside though, the leather, or man made material, is very delicate, and scuffs and tears easily.

Inside one of the tears, the so called leather has white fabric attached, which shows me it isn't quality leather.

I would say though that 90% of UK retailers get their cases from China, and then charge very high prices.

I have been offered a case 'made for me' for $38, with shipping costs of $51 and if I want my own logo it will cost me an extra $30 for the mould.

Obviously I then need to worry about customs etc, but it still works out cheaper than many online retailers want to charge me.

If your good self wants to sell me a case, be it new or used, by all means get in touch, but my budget is around the £100 mark, with a bit of leeway for the right product. My lips will be sealed one way or another.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          If you're not set on having a fancy design leather case then I can recommend getting a black aluminum double case from BandWbilliards (Birmingham area I believe). From memory only, website might be 'bandwbilliards.co.uk'. Talk to Yvonne.

I have a double one which will hold 2 cues and extensions and I can guarantee it's very sturdy as Gatwick managed to lose it on one trip and it was found a week later jammed underneath a conveyor belt and outside of one minor scrape there was no other apparant damage and the 2 cues inside were fine.

It also has a small compartment for chalk, etc.

Terry
          Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
          I have one of Crispian's cases and it is a lovely case!

firefrets, If you want a fairly cheap leatherette case, the try ADR147 on here. I am having a 3/4 cue made, to see what they are like, so bought one of these cases off ADR. It arrived today and I have just opened the parcel. It seems to be quite a good case for the money.

The cost:- £50. So, firefrets, get one and see for yourself. If you do not like it, then you will easily be able to get rid of it.
          :snooker:
          Thanks lads. Appreciated.

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
            crispian, very interesting break down of costs. I guess some of these items may be sourced cheaper in other countries, or perhaps they just source cheaper parts, or even do both.

How long does a case take you to make, in general?
            in all honestly though, with the leather i use @ £2.15 a suare foot i can make a handle for what some cases seem to cost to make in the far east !

I can spend between 20 and 30 hours on a case, with the patchwork cases taking the longest to do. putting it all together at the end is the easy part,
            i would geuss 4 to 5 hours making and shapping the box section, anything up to 16 hours gluing and sewing the two sides of leather needed and two suedes, and probably a further 10 hours putting the leather to the boxes, adding the center bars, cutting the padding to size and gluing it in before hindging and latching the case and giving it a final clean at the end.

i have never made a case start to finnish in a day, as there are some parts that need leaving for 24hrs before i can sew them as the glue is to tacky otherwise !

Comment

Crispian, with all that breakdown of costs and man hours it helps people appreciate them even more, means the deal you did for me is better than i thought.................. good work

Comment

I can spend between 20 and 30 hours on a case, with the patchwork cases taking the longest to do.
                In that case, if you're selling the case for £280 (Ultimate) and the raw materials cost you £100, and you're spending 30 hours on it... then you're only earning £6/hour for the labour... that's amazing value right there. Even if you managed an ultimate in 20 hours, that's only £9/hour. So, while on the surface of it £280 seems like a lot to most people, myself included, I don't think anyone could honestly say it was overpriced.
                "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                - Linus Pauling

Comment

In that case, if you're selling the case for £280 (Ultimate) and the raw materials cost you £100, and you're spending 30 hours on it... then you're only earning £6/hour for the labour... that's amazing value right there. Even if you managed an ultimate in 20 hours, that's only £9/hour. So, while on the surface of it £280 seems like a lot to most people, myself included, I don't think anyone could honestly say it was overpriced.
                  It's the age old debate of man v machine.

Both can cut a piece of wood. Both can stitch leather. Is one better than the other?

In that there is much to discuss.

What is for sure is both have a place in the market.

Unfortunately the market is also rife with companies who sell one under the banner of the other.

I can't visit anybodies profile, (not even my own) so can't pm anyone, but if anyone makes cases and wants to make one for me, then please get in touch. I have my budget, and you have yours. If we can compromise, then great.

All the best.

Comment

to be fair i can do an ultimate quicker than a patchwork case !

The problem is with the patchwork cases i feel that if there are big pieces of leather the case ends up looking cheep, and they look better when you can see that there are lots of different smaller pieces of leather.
                    and obviously the smaller the pieces the more time consuming it becomes, not to mention more waistage involved !

but i have to price the ultimates more, as i have to keep lots of coloured suede back for them, and also most ultimates i need four different main colours, plus i buy lots of bits and pieces off ebay to add colours.

Comment

i am amazed how these cases can be made at these prices, irispective of the quality, it goes to show just how much we all get ripped off in the uk !
                      I know that my cases are amongst the most expensive, but when pricing them i have to make it worth while putting in the hours and effort they take.

here is a break down of what i use when making every case, and more importantly what each item costs me !

Leather (£140 a hide) divided by 4 cases = £40
                      Suede £10
                      contact spray ahesive = £3.20
                      contact adhesive (inside lining of case) = £2.50
                      strip pine x 4pcs = £6
                      ply wood x 2 stips = £3
                      craft glue (£2.99 makes 2 cases) = £1.50
                      thread £5
                      5 x butterfly hindges (60p each) =£3
                      2 brass butts = £2.90
                      case latches (75p each if bought by the hundred) = £3.75
                      brass screws (62 per case,£2.99 per box of 50) =£3.70
                      postage via parcelflight (i dont charge uk cases) =£13
                      bubble wrap (8 cases on average from 20 mtr roll @ £23) = £2.87

Thats just over £100 without adding brown parcel tape, baking for embroidery, needles, wood glue, stanley blades, dremel bits(for sanding) cutting wheels (for cutting leather/suede) cutting matt, scissors, and the new dremel i bought today ! (£89.99)

now i am not trying to justify my own prices (honestly) but how come there are countries in this messed up world where they can even make cases at these prices ?

And as for aluminium cases, you cant get anything better !
                      i don't understand how people think that if they buy it on ebay for £100 it can be any good? so after listing fees, end fees, shop fees, paypal etc the seller ends up with £75 maximum so that means in order to to make any money they have to be paying sub £50 each delivered.... its not going to be the best leather case is it!
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

There in lies the truth. 20 hours labour in china would cost next to nothing comparatively speaking. My old man buys cast metal in china, and visiting some of the foundries you'd think it was 1900 looking at some of the production techniques. Automation equipment is expensive to import and maintain for them, but labour is almost for free and plentyful. So a typical foundry there may have 5x the workforce you'd use over here yet still acheive a competative price.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Old cue collector --
                        Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                        (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Wide 3/4 Cases Inexpensive Options and They Lock!

Firefrets...

See my listings on here....

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=28947

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=28949

Get a refund from your previous un-happy purchase, save £50 - £60 and receive a free Cue Craft cue towel with your case into the bargain, just for being a TSF member!

Ring me on 07740102927 or email me cueist@genie.co.uk

Dave, Snookerpoolman

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                            i don't understand how people think that if they buy it on ebay for £100 it can be any good? so after listing fees, end fees, shop fees, paypal etc the seller ends up with £75 maximum so that means in order to to make any money they have to be paying sub £50 each delivered.... its not going to be the best leather case is it!

Is there a prize here for whoever can insult the intelligence of the thread starter or something?

At the moment you're tied in first place with Cuemans 'fool' comment, only he punctuates his posts properly, so probably slips into second place.

£100 is a lot of money for a case, even on this planet.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerpoolman View Post
                              Firefrets...

See my listings on here....

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=28947

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=28949

Get a refund from your previous un-happy purchase, save £50 - £60 and receive a free Cue Craft cue towel with your case into the bargain, just for being a TSF member!

Ring me on 07740102927 or email me cueist@genie.co.uk

Dave, Snookerpoolman
                              Thanks Dave, I'll check them out.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post

From your Ebay site:

3/4 Leatherette hard snooker / pool cue case - superb

£57.99

3/4 Leatherette hard snooker / pool cue case with leather straps- superb

will hold a 3/4 cue and both extensions.

maybe the best 3/4 case you can buy very tough and good looking case for very little money.

cue obviously not included!
                                Are you fibbing to your customers Andy?

Comment

Working...
                                X