Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baldock Black Base - Best tip ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldock Black Base - Best tip ever made?

Aye up lads.

In a world where people are paying through the nose for some tips, can any tip ever be as good as the old Baldock Black Base tips?

You can't really buy these tips anymore, and if you're lucky enough to get one, you'll pay top wack for them.

Joe Davis used them,and actually used one during his first ever 147 break, as his letter on the Peradon website testifies.

So what ever happened to them, and why was production stopped? Can anyone shed any light on their history for me please?

I presume they were made by Fletcher, of Peradon & Fletcher times, but could be wrong.

There is a little nod to them on this history website:

http://www.normanclare.co.uk/peradon.html

Has anyone had the fortune to have played with one of these tips? I'm sure the older players will remember them well, but the younger players probably won't have heard of them.

Basically, all the hype surrounding the latest super duper tip stems from the days of the old Blacky. Hopefully someone will start making them again.

I found this picture on Ebay, but the guy wants £7 for one tip.

If they're good enough for Joe Davis, then they're good enough for me I reckon.

Tips.

An interesting post. Perhaps you can confirm this but I believe the tips also came with a red backing and a brown backing. The black is I believe the hardest. They were often fitted to the cue shaft direct ie. without the use of a ferrule. I fitted one to a cue I was restoring only yesterday and was surprised how nice it felt. The tips in the picture look rather too blue to be Baldock but this of course may just be a trick of the light. If they sell at £7. per go I am a lot wealthier than I thought. I have loads of them in different sizes and colour backings. :snooker:

Comment

funnily enough i saw a box of these (50) on ebay recently and ive never come across this particular tip before. It was a red box of baldock black base tips and they were on sale for £4.99!

The box was the same as one of the boxes on the link you posted too... the updated version of the box...
      Last edited by aussie147; 24 February 2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

franksandellsnooker

An interesting post. Perhaps you can confirm this but I believe the tips also came with a red backing and a brown backing. The black is I believe the hardest. They were often fitted to the cue shaft direct ie. without the use of a ferrule. I fitted one to a cue I was restoring only yesterday and was surprised how nice it felt. The tips in the picture look rather too blue to be Baldock but this of course may just be a trick of the light. If they sell at £7. per go I am a lot wealthier than I thought. I have loads of them in different sizes and colour backing.

What are your thoughts of the quality of these tips, Frank.
        :snooker:

Comment

I cant honestly say I could get very excited over them I used one because I was restoring a JD. 101 break cue and it seemed appropriate. It played O.K.
          As Ive said many times 'one man's tips another man's miscue.
          All the best. F.

Comment

i bought a box of them for a fiver a couple of years ago but age had sort of killed them off which is a shame because i would like to have tried one as they were meant to be originally.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I got a few before that I was all excited to try out but they were rock hard, probably too old. I had some with the red backing. One of the tips when cut fell apart like cork.
              I guess it is hard to tell the quality of the tip unless you can get one that has been well preserved. They were probably quite decent in the olden days.
              Last edited by poolqjunkie; 24 February 2011, 09:27 PM.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
                An interesting post. Perhaps you can confirm this but I believe the tips also came with a red backing and a brown backing. The black is I believe the hardest. They were often fitted to the cue shaft direct ie. without the use of a ferrule. I fitted one to a cue I was restoring only yesterday and was surprised how nice it felt. The tips in the picture look rather too blue to be Baldock but this of course may just be a trick of the light. If they sell at £7. per go I am a lot wealthier than I thought. I have loads of them in different sizes and colour backings. :snooker:
                Originally Posted by aussie147 View Post
                funnily enough i saw a box of these (50) on ebay recently and ive never come across this particular tip before. It was a red box of baldock black base tips and they were on sale for £4.99!

The box was the same as one of the boxes on the link you posted too... the updated version of the box...
                I think you both could be right.

These red ones are a little different though as we can see. As to their hardness, it's an interesting question, but one I can't really answer.

Comment

I have about 20 black base ones if anyone is interested. Perfect condition. Pm offers. Also up for sale later tonight black plate hunt & o'byrne. Awesome looking cue in great condition. Will be posting on sale with pics tonight.
                  "Don't think, feel"

Comment

What size are they Doc and have you tried them , if so how do they compare to Talismans

Comment

Will double check but I think 11mm. They seem like a firm elk but not really had loads of play with one.
                      "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Slippy, I have a box each of 9, 10, and 11mm.

I also have some red base.

They're all very rare and older than me, but all mint, and once the 10's arrive I'll have about 250 of them give or take.

I was going to swap some of them for a high end maple cue.

If any dealers or makers want to do a swap let me know.

Comment

Originally Posted by firefrets View Post
                          ....I was going to swap some of them for a high end maple cue.
                          lol maybe someone might pay £5 or £6 to try them out but not swop for a "high end maple cue"

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            lol maybe someone might pay £5 or £6 to try them out but not swop for a "high end maple cue"
                            250 tips at £1 each is £250 mate. At £5 each is £1250. How much is a decent cue?

Comment

bos of 50 on ebay just now http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOX-BALDOCK-BL...item1c19a30f00

as i said i bought a box for a fiver.
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                              X