• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your top 3 tips

1. ADR soft
    2. Talisman soft
    3. Phoenix soft

Comment

• Its nothing to do with putting it on properly, its finding a good elk in the first place thats the problem.

The manufacturing process has become so inconsistent that unless you are lucky it is cheaper to buy a more expensive tip than to mess around buying and trying several elks before you find a good one.

Its ok for top pros because they are guaranteed to only get the best, unfortunately for us mere mortals that isnt the case.

I use ADR tips and cannot fault them, they hold shape, have a good feel and feedback, they produce as much spin as il ever need and i have full confidence in it.

To find an elk that plays like that can take a long time.

Comment

• it is if you know how to do it, I have put on scores and not had a problem - if you just stick them on and play then you might experience them going out of shape, if you tamp them on properly that won't happen

Comment

• Originally Posted by sberry View Post
          it is if you know how to do it, I have put on scores and not had a problem - if you just stick them on and play then you might experience them going out of shape, if you tamp them on properly that won't happen
          is true ,, putting a new tip On the cue properly is important !!! but that does'nt chang the quality of the tip !!!! players choose for LM tips, not only because of their playability, but also because of their consistently !! this way they do'nt need to change the tip every 2/3 months. there are also pro players who play with kamui / talisman. not all of them playing with Elk !! Does this means that Elk is a bad tip ?? absolutely not !!! For each player is a matter of personal preference !! what suits ur game !!! that is all that matters !! Btw,,, i do'nt agree with you that every Elk master is a good one !! if you buy a box of 50, you're lucky if you can find 15/20 good ones !!! so, basically you pay more than you think for a good Elk !! But again : if that suits ur game and u can play well with it , that would be more than enough for u !!!

Comment

• I fit more elks than anything else, and very few people complain, but every one I have managed to convince to try a different tip has preferred the alternative (and usually become a tip whore like the rest of us!) my theory is anyone that plays to a decent standard with elks has had to learn to retip themselves and those people that think every elk is sacred don't have to rely on it to play anything other than plain ball and the occasional touch of side.
            If your after a consistent tip to play every shot required in the modern game straight out of the bag it has to be ADR or the original MW supertips, the supertips have become inconsistent lately but think I may have just got a bad batch.
            No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

• I have been playing 8ball for many years now, and they only tip I find that works for me and has never let me down so far is the pool barron tips, i use to love elks and diamonds but over the last year i have been using these pool baron tips. I have gone off the elks and diamonds as i find them too hard, the barons are just a bit softer and i find them very responsive with my 8.5mm, they grip well and feel nice when hitting the ball, the only down side is they dont last long, with me anyway lol.

I have not tried the ADR147 tips but might give them ago, the MW supertips are nice but only ever used one once, it came off when i got my pool baron tip.

1.Pool Baron
              2.Buffalo Diamond
              3.MW Super tip
              4.Elk

Comment

• My top 3 are

Mui medium
                Phoenix medium
                Blue diamond plus

Was a long time player of the elk until last season when I finally bit the bullet and tried
                a laminated tip. Was very sceptical but wow the Mui and Phoenix are perfect for my game.
                I get lots of reaction and hardly no sidespin at all and they last for ever without re-shaping.
                Would never go back to a pressed tip again totally useless as far as I am concerned.

Comment

• My top 3 are

Mui medium
                  Phoenix medium
                  Blue diamond plus

Was a long time player of the elk until last season when I finally bit the bullet and tried
                  a laminated tip. Was very sceptical but wow the Mui and Phoenix are perfect for my game.
                  I get lots of reaction and hardly no sidespin at all and they last for ever without re-shaping.
                  Would never go back to a pressed tip again totally useless as far as I am concerned.

Comment

• My updated 3 are
                    1. Adr147 medium.
                    2. Buffalo Diamond plus.
                    3. Elk Master(medium/firm).

Comment

• I only play uk 8 ball but my 3 are:
                      1.Buffalo Diamond Plus.
                      2.Pressed Elk.
                      3.ADR Medium.

Comment

• Tried them all, every tip, even an Aurora. The most consistent tip is a BDP, it simply cannot be beat. More spin than any lammy and a lovely touch in the balls. That soft screw of soft drag; no problem with miscues or lack of grip. Capable of the biggest stun shots without deforming. It's played in after one sesh and it's not expensive. Easy to fit and they don't fall off. Made by the biggest chalk and tip company on the planet with decades of experience. Use it with Triangle Spruce or Masters Green and you won't go wrong. I will never go back to lammy again, nor Elks.

1. BDP (Buffalo Diamond Plus)
                        2. Kamui Black M
                        3. A great Elk, the mythical beast. lol
                        Last edited by barrywhite; 31 December 2015, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• what about Coutts Royal pressed tips? Any reviews from the users?

Comment

• Originally Posted by piper74 View Post
                            what about Coutts Royal pressed tips? Any reviews from the users?
                            Tried one a week ago having seen some positive reviews.Took it off when i got home,did not enjoy playing with it.Leather fibres started appearing, didnt keep its shape. No where near as firm as new wooldridge supertip which was way too firm for me.Best pressed tips are a pressed elk or Buffalo Diamond plus.
                            Last edited by DisherDave; 31 December 2015, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DisherDave View Post
                              Tried one a week ago having seeing some positive reviews.Took it off when i got home,did not enjoy playing with it.Leather fibres started appearing, didnt keep its shape. No where near as firm as new wooldridge supertip which was way too firm for me.Best pressed tips are a pressed elk or Buffalo Diamond plus.
                              I would agree with that ,about the Coutts tip. Just to add mine didn't last two month, I didn't get that nice phase where it's bedded in and playing well ,it just seemed to collapse a bit and that was the end of it, all out of shape.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Tips can drive you insane because few are consistent batch to batch. I realise lots of people like Diamond Plus but I found them too soft and with dreadful shot feedback. Have therefore been switching between:

1) Pressed Elk - I have some from about 1987 but am down to my last half dozen, use them lightly pressed, not tried the latest ones
                                2) MW Supertip - good when they're good but wildly inconsistent, have had lots glaze to the point of being useless and one that turned as soft as sponge first session out, I applaud Mike's efforts but he's not there yet
                                3) ADR medium - decent performance for a laminate but I suspect I am not a laminate kind of player

Ffs someone invent a decent, consistent single layer tip!

Comment

Working...
                                X