your top 3 tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
    Tips can drive you insane because few are consistent batch to batch. I realise lots of people like Diamond Plus but I found them too soft and with dreadful shot feedback. Have therefore been switching between:

1) Pressed Elk - I have some from about 1987 but am down to my last half dozen, use them lightly pressed, not tried the latest ones
    2) MW Supertip - good when they're good but wildly inconsistent, have had lots glaze to the point of being useless and one that turned as soft as sponge first session out, I applaud Mike's efforts but he's not there yet
    3) ADR medium - decent performance for a laminate but I suspect I am not a laminate kind of player

Ffs someone invent a decent, consistent single layer tip!
    I can understand what you are saying regarding BD +.I feel that on some power shots they can feel a little too soft but for soft screw shots with control I find them fantastic.I am in the process of pressing a BD+ as i would like them a little firmer.Every cue is different and so is every tips reaction to the cue.Hopefully the pressed BD+ will give me what i am searching for.

Comment

• @ghost, if you find BDP too soft I'm surprised. I moved from Kamui black M to BDPs and love that they're a bit softer in the balls but still retaining as much spin as any other tip on a 17oz ash cue. But each to his own. I'd suggest you try a GBL Pro Granite but only if you can put up with the increased throw. They also mis-shape more than BDP so they need a bit more care. But they are firm for a single layer tip.

@Disher Dave, if you're talking about stun shots, the trick is to play them in really hard, just practice stun shots with them for an hour and firm them up. Then they're great for all stun shots, once compacted a bit. Or your pressing sounds equally good, probably the same thing in a different guise. I've also found that screw and top increases once they played in hard. I've smashed laminates to pieces but these babies just won't chip no matter what you do them. If you use a good quality glue they won't fall off either and never need reglueing. I can stun two lengths of the table off the blue with these beauties an no mis-shape afterwards. They really chalk well, especially Triangle Spruce and Masters Green. You can play 10-15 shots without chalking. Once they've been played in hard, there's nothing to beat this tip for the amateur player.

The pros benefit from the soft, reactiveness of an elk (just look at how far Robbo/Trump screw back), but that's on a skinny 6811 match cloth that is easier to generate spin, stun and pace on the CB regardless. When we have to play big shots, we have to put even more mustard on the ball and that's when elks reach their structural limit and deform on the shot. I'll be interested to hear what you find once you've pressed a BDP.
      Last edited by barrywhite; 1 January 2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by piper74 View Post
        what about Coutts Royal pressed tips? Any reviews from the users?
        I tried one a while ago, much like the other guys have posted it didn't go down well.
        Fibres just would not hold together at all, trimming it down, shaping it etc was not good.
        Played a couple of frames with it and it was spongy.

Comment

• Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
          @ghost, if you find BDP too soft I'm surprised. I moved from Kamui black M to BDPs and love that they're a bit softer in the balls but still retaining as much spin as any other tip on a 17oz ash cue. But each to his own. I'd suggest you try a GBL Pro Granite but only if you can put up with the increased throw. They also mis-shape more than BDP so they need a bit more care. But they are firm for a single layer tip.

@Disher Dave, if you're talking about stun shots, the trick is to play them in really hard, just practice stun shots with them for an hour and firm them up. Then they're great for all stun shots, once compacted a bit. Or your pressing sounds equally good, probably the same thing in a different guise. I've also found that screw and top increases once they played in hard. I've smashed laminates to pieces but these babies just won't chip no matter what you do them. If you use a good quality glue they won't fall off either and never need reglueing. I can stun two lengths of the table off the blue with these beauties an no mis-shape afterwards. They really chalk well, especially Triangle Spruce and Masters Green. You can play 10-15 shots without chalking. Once they've been played in hard, there's nothing to beat this tip for the amateur player.

The pros benefit from the soft, reactiveness of an elk (just look at how far Robbo/Trump screw back), but that's on a skinny 6811 match cloth that is easier to generate spin, stun and pace on the CB regardless. When we have to play big shots, we have to put even more mustard on the ball and that's when elks reach their structural limit and deform on the shot. I'll be interested to hear what you find once you've pressed a BDP.
          Thanks for reply,will post an update on the pressed BD+ in the next week.

Comment

• Think it's Elks for me, at least until I run out of the good ones or Mike gets his Supertips right.

Comment

• I'm on my last MW tip ,I haven't got a clue where to go next.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                I'm on my last MW tip ,I haven't got a clue where to go next.
                If you haven't tried a BDP yet, try one. They're not expensive, give it a go, or press an elk? Alternatively, you could do what my mate does, soak an elk in vinegar, then microwave it; toughens it up apparently. He hits a lot of tons, so it can't be such bad advice I guess?!?!?!?!?

Comment

• I have found the Black MW tip very good. I don't know if that is what you are reffering to when you say MW tip? I think you mean the blue supertip which was OK. The black one is in a lot better.

Comment

• I was referring to the latest generation green MW Supertips. Was out of the game for a long while, so I never tried the old blue versions. I have used the Blackspin tip, but only as part of the Blackspin ferule system where it seems to play very well.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      I'm on my last MW tip ,I haven't got a clue where to go next.
                      Have you tried the ADR soft tip?

Comment

• Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                        If you haven't tried a BDP yet, try one. They're not expensive, give it a go, or press an elk? Alternatively, you could do what my mate does, soak an elk in vinegar, then microwave it; toughens it up apparently. He hits a lot of tons, so it can't be such bad advice I guess?!?!?!?!?
                        Microwave it ??
                        Could u Please explain how and how long does he do it ?
                        I've never heard of it . I may give it a try .

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                          Microwave it ??
                          Could u Please explain how and how long does he do it ?
                          I've never heard of it . I may give it a try .
                          So many techniques huh, I also read somewhere that people have soaked them in Milk too !!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                            So many techniques huh, I also read somewhere that people have soaked them in Milk too !!!
                            Yeah, would be interested what barry means by that.
                            My brother plays with press tips .
                            We gonna give it a try .
                            As long as microwave does'nt explode and blw our aas a way , would be okey I gusse !!

Comment

• Good luck with it

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                                Yeah, would be interested what barry means by that.
                                My brother plays with press tips .
                                We gonna give it a try .
                                As long as microwave does'nt explode and blw our aas a way , would be okey I gusse !!
                                Me mate didn't tell me how long, he's not really a conversational guy. lol

I'm not sure how long and I've never tried for obvious safety reasons. I think a tip press is probably the safest way.

Comment

Working...
                                X