your top 3 tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by DisherDave View Post
    ADR 147s are the best laminated tip out there.They can be played with high, don't really need trimming that much and they last a long time!
    Yeah I know but I don't like having high tips...
    Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

• Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
      Yeah I know but I don't like having high tips...
      Good point re the huge size of the tips, its like its designed for a US pool cue.
      Maybe a smaller version at a lower price could be the future - ( wonder if ADR is reading haha ).

I'm like you and find it leave the tip too high then a lot of feeling is lost.

Comment

• yep the thing is great but it comes in 11mm size by default. It's so huge once glued. You never see a pro with a high tip fitted on his cue. That's the only bad things about laminated tips really....
        Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

yep the thing is great but it comes in 11mm size by default. It's so huge once glued. You never see a pro with a high tip fitted on his cue. That's the only bad things about laminated tips really....
          Takes a lot of work, however its worth it in the end

Comment

yep the thing is great but it comes in 11mm size by default. It's so huge once glued. You never see a pro with a high tip fitted on his cue. That's the only bad things about laminated tips really....
            Is this the ADR tip you are on about, sorry just checking as I don't like the idea of them not coming in a ten mill size.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Yes, the ADR Black Medium mate. Like the way it plays so far, but what a pain to work.

Comment

Yes, the ADR Black Medium mate. Like the way it plays so far, but what a pain to work.
                How firm, grippy is the Medium? I've only tried Soft and Super Soft.
                Hard to describe in words I guess though.

Comment

• As said, just had the opportunity of playing one hour yesterday. I'll get a better feeling tomorrow after a longer session.
                  But for a medium lammy, I was surprised by the grip. Was softer than expected though. Didn't have that typical harsh sound of the laminated tips.

Comment

• Okay thanks for that.

Comment

Yes, the ADR Black Medium mate. Like the way it plays so far, but what a pain to work.
                      Thanks Erwan, I have no idea how the eight ball fellas are sticking an 11 mm tip on their little ferrules, the tip must seem twice as high on an eight and a half mill ferrule. Think I may look down another avenue for my new tip.

Comment

• Indeed! It looks huge even on a snooker cue so a pool cue...can't imagine! To be honest, it was so pain in the **** to trim down that I cut 30% of it with the blade to save me half an hour
                        Even though it plays nice, I'm still skeptical it is really worth the pain and price. Losing 30% of the whole body of a 50p Elkie is fine to me. Losing 50% of an £8 tip is more annoying Ik knew it when I purchased it so no complain on this one (I got it for a test mainly), but it is far from certain I will make it my default tip.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          Thanks Erwan, I have no idea how the eight ball fellas are sticking an 11 mm tip on their little ferrules, the tip must seem twice as high on an eight and a half mill ferrule. Think I may look down another avenue for my new tip.
                          I'm using an ADR super soft on a 9mm ferrule for 8ball, think it took me 10 mins to get the tip on, down to size and shaped how i like it. Although my tip is probably higher than you would like (dome starts at the top of the 3rd layer from bottom).

A medium (10mm ferrule) lasted me well over a year (snooker) and i only changed tip to try out the soft (curiosity won out). In fact the medium went on a friends cue when his needed a new tip in the middle of a match night and it's still on his cue now 9 months later.

Personally I'm happy to pay the small premium for the ADR tips, the longevity, consistency, grip etc they offer, makes them worth it to me. However i can understand if it's not something you wish to do.

Andi
                          Last edited by andi mack; 11 January 2016, 03:22 PM.
                          Andi Mack

Comment

• It's not the money side of it Andi, I just don't like very high tips and I don't like the idea of cutting it down in case you cut across two layers if you know what I mean.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              It's not the money side of it Andi, I just don't like very high tips and I don't like the idea of cutting it down in case you cut across two layers if you know what I mean.
                              Yeah no worries, the cost side of it isn't really a factor for most of us. Sorry that bit was in reply to erwan's "losing 50% of an £8 tip" comment. I probably should have quoted him to be clearer.

I understand mate, especially if you are only going to be using the bottom 2 or 3 layers of a laminated tip, it can be pretty time consuming knocking off the other 3 or 4 layers.

Out of interest how high / tall is your tip?
                              Andi Mack

Comment

• I always put mine through a press Andi, I would say I'm just getting happy with my tip when most folk would be whipping it off lol.
                                Although to be fair, I have an unpressed MW tip on my grand cue that's quite a flexible cue and the amount of reaction I'm getting is unreal, I'm struggling to get hold of the White.
                                Last edited by itsnoteasy; 11 January 2016, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X