No announcement yet.

your top 3 tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair enough, can definitely see why laminated /layered tips aren't your thing then.
    Last edited by andi mack; 11 January 2016, 11:27 PM.
    Andi Mack

Comment

• Layered tips. Layered.

Anyway, most layered tips are churned out from the same factory in china, for about 30p a go. Anyone can source their own generics, buy a stamp and charge a tenner a pop. Kerching.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
        Layered tips. Layered.

Anyway, most layered tips are churned out from the same factory in china, for about 30p a go. Anyone can source their own generics, buy a stamp and charge a tenner a pop. Kerching.
        Are you saying ADR, MW, Aurora etc, etc are all getting tips from China and stamping them? Cuz I'm thinking that Kamui and Cue Soul are made in Japan, so they're two exceptions to begin with. Can this really be true, I thought a lot of layered tips were made in Thailand?

Comment

Layered tips. Layered.
          Laminated layers of leather, so either or. But i will add a /layered to my other post just for you.
          Andi Mack

Comment

• After a 3-hour session last night, I have a better view on the product. So far, I'd say 'meh'. It is a good tip, feeling is nice, develops the cue ball pretty well. But I expected something harder in fact and I still have this issue about chalk not holding as well as on a pressed tip. So I'm a bit so-so about it...
            I'm tempted to back to a Pro Granite soon.
            Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

• Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
              After a 3-hour session last night, I have a better view on the product. So far, I'd say 'meh'. It is a good tip, feeling is nice, develops the cue ball pretty well. But I expected something harder in fact and I still have this issue about chalk not holding as well as on a pressed tip. So I'm a bit so-so about it...
              I'm tempted to back to a Pro Granite soon.
              Harder? are you using the medium or the hard version of the tip?

Which chalk are you using? I'm using triangle spruce and don't have any issues with it not holding chalk. However i found the lighter green triangle chalk didn't hold all that well.
              Andi Mack

Comment

• Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                Are you saying ADR, MW, Aurora etc, etc are all getting tips from China and stamping them? Cuz I'm thinking that Kamui and Cue Soul are made in Japan, so they're two exceptions to begin with. Can this really be true, I thought a lot of layered tips were made in Thailand?
                Where they are 'produced' is a grey area, but i would be surprised if 99.99% of all layered tips weren't made in china, and from the same factory at that.

Look on chinese ebay sites for dirt cheap generics, design a stamp and buy some ink, bung 'product of UK' on the box and Bob's yer uncle.

Some generics are better than others, mind.

Comment

• Originally Posted by andi mack View Post
                  Laminated layers of leather, so either or. But i will add a /layered to my other post just for you.
                  Find me an actual tip manufacturer that calls them laminated.

Comment

• Originally Posted by andi mack View Post
                    Harder? are you using the medium or the hard version of the tip?

Which chalk are you using? I'm using triangle spruce and don't have any issues with it not holding chalk. However i found the lighter green triangle chalk didn't hold all that well.
                    I was testing the ADR Medium black and using the classical Green Triangle, which is excellent to me. Medium layered tips are normally way harder than any other pressed tip.
                    To be clear, I never miscued yesterday with the tip, but it doesn't stick to the tip as well as with a pressed one.
                    Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Virtually every one of these adverts
                      http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...e+tip&_sacat=0

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        Yeh but appart from them who? Eh, who?
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Err, even Andrew calls them laminated.

The below is taken from one of his ebay adds for the tips. Also note the link to the thread on here where he calls them laminated tips.

"ADR147 professional standard Snooker / Pool cue tip. These are the first laminated tips made especially for Snooker or UK pool cues rather than adapted from the American tips. They are the result of more than 7 years of research and experimentation to find a tip that had the qualities of both pressed and laminated tips. They are made to the highest standards and are the very best tips available for Snooker. These tips are simple to fit, easy to shape and they hold chalk like a traditional pressed tip. They will last for ages and grip the cue ball better. They don't mushroom. They have the right feel. MAKE NO MISTAKE THIS IS THE SINGLE BEST TIP FOR SNOOKER OR UK POOL. Have a look on the snooker forum for reviews: http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ghlight=adr147

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
                          I was testing the ADR Medium black and using the classical Green Triangle, which is excellent to me. Medium layered tips are normally way harder than any other pressed tip.
                          To be clear, I never miscued yesterday with the tip, but it doesn't stick to the tip as well as with a pressed one.
                          Ahh ok, maybe you'd prefer the hard version of his tip?

The classic green triangle chalk works great with pressed tips, but i could never get it to work well with any laminated / layered tips (and i've tried most brands).
                          Personally i've found the spruce version works much better for them. If you don't have any of the spruce chalk to hand, drop me a PM with your address and i'll chuck a cube in the post to you tomorrow.
                          Andi Mack

Comment

• I gave that spruce chalk a go, found it transferred to the cue ball a lot.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              I gave that spruce chalk a go, found it transferred to the cue ball a lot.
                              There is more grip with spruce but the cost is what you found. I can chalk my tip (BD+) every ten shots at a push with spruce, so chalk less than usual. I've also got a ball marker in my toolbox (carries the 1Gs and all the small tools). lol Some players get put off by spruce to which you say chalk is chalk mate, you're meant to be potting balls not looking at the white. This gets to them, bonus!

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                                They are sellers, who can call their goods what the hell they like. Manufacturers, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X