talisman call them layered
    others I cannot see

potaato
    potarto :wink:
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by andi mack View Post
      Err, even Andrew calls them laminated.

The below is taken from one of his ebay adds for the tips. Also note the link to the thread on here where he calls them laminated tips.

"ADR147 professional standard Snooker / Pool cue tip. These are the first laminated tips made especially for Snooker or UK pool cues rather than adapted from the American tips. They are the result of more than 7 years of research and experimentation to find a tip that had the qualities of both pressed and laminated tips. They are made to the highest standards and are the very best tips available for Snooker. These tips are simple to fit, easy to shape and they hold chalk like a traditional pressed tip. They will last for ages and grip the cue ball better. They don't mushroom. They have the right feel. MAKE NO MISTAKE THIS IS THE SINGLE BEST TIP FOR SNOOKER OR UK POOL. Have a look on the snooker forum for reviews: http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ghlight=adr147

Ahh ok, maybe you'd prefer the hard version of his tip?

The classic green triangle chalk works great with pressed tips, but i could never get it to work well with any laminated / layered tips (and i've tried most brands).
      Personally i've found the spruce version works much better for them. If you don't have any of the spruce chalk to hand, drop me a PM with your address and i'll chuck a cube in the post to you tomorrow.
      What does it matter what a vendor calls his product? Proof of precisely nothing.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        if you look closely at the photos
        phoenix call them laminate on their boxes
        others I cannot see

potaato
        That would be fine if they were sealed in plastic but they are thin LAYERS (a clue) of leather, GLUED together.

That the snooker world has finally latched onto them, and got the terminology arse about tit, is neither potato nor potarto.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
          That would be fine if they were sealed in plastic but they are thin LAYERS (a clue) of leather, GLUED together.

That the snooker world has finally latched onto them, and got the terminology arse about tit, is neither potato nor potarto.
          Lamination doesn't mean wrapped in plastic, it's a process of making something in layers.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            Lamination doesn't mean wrapped in plastic, it's a process of making something in layers.
            Yep,
            Lamination is the technique of manufacturing a material in multiple layers, so that the composite material achieves improved strength, stability, sound insulation, appearance or other properties from the use of differing materials. A laminate is a permanently assembled object by heat, pressure, welding, or adhesives

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              Yep,
              Lamination is the technique of manufacturing a material in multiple layers, so that the composite material achieves improved strength, stability, sound insulation, appearance or other properties from the use of differing materials. A laminate is a permanently assembled object by heat, pressure, welding, or adhesives
              I guess I better not take my elks to work and put them through the laminating machine then lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
                I guess I better not take my elks to work and put them through the laminating machine then lol
                Oh please do I'd love to see one, a laminated pressed tip, got to be worth £20

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  if you look closely at the photos
                  phoenix call them laminate on their boxes
                  others I cannot see

potaato

laminated vehicle windscreens are not sealed in plastic but have a layer of plastic between two layers of glass and adhered together.
                  soz
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

What does it matter what a vendor calls his product? Proof of precisely nothing.
                    True, but in this case he is correct!
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Where they are 'produced' is a grey area, but i would be surprised if 99.99% of all layered tips weren't made in china, and from the same factory at that.

Look on chinese ebay sites for dirt cheap generics, design a stamp and buy some ink, bung 'product of UK' on the box and Bob's yer uncle.

Some generics are better than others, mind.
                      yes and no, 99% are produced in the same country you just have the wrong one!

Comment

Is this the ADR tip you are on about, sorry just checking as I don't like the idea of them not coming in a ten mill size.
                        the problem is with tooling I have had hundreds of sample done in 10mm and they just can't tool the quality the same, so far, although I am told in the summer it will be possible.

Comment

Oh please do I'd love to see one, a laminated pressed tip, got to be worth £20
                          In that case buy a ADR soft Laminated tip , my friend .
                          imo , the only Laminated tip which has the same character ( in term of playability ) , as a good elk .
                          Tiger soft Laminated is also about the same . But you can'nt use it for snooker . They come only in 14 mm size .

Comment

You asked for a maker who calls them laminated, while Andrew may not make them himself. He does have them made and calls them laminated.

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            Yep exactly this!

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            Yep,
                            Yep, hence you can get laminated wood, glass, flooring, tips, etc

Edit: i see others have also given examples.

I think mr big shot has gotten hung up on one form of laminate i.e. wrapping paper in plastic at the expense of other forms of laminate.
                            Last edited by andi mack; 14 January 2016, 12:00 PM.
                            Andi Mack

Comment

• Cheers ADR , looking forward to trying them.

Comment

• As I wan't really convinced by the ADR Black Medium, I changed it for a Pro Grantie...which worked perfectly. Had a very good training session last night having just fit it. Love the touch, sound and feel so far. I'll see once it has bedded a bit more.
                                Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Working...
                                X