your top 3 tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    yes and no, 99% are produced in the same country you just have the wrong one!
    Really? Which one then? The layered tip market is a murky old world, and you may not be buying what you think you are buying and from which country.

Will need a LOT of PROOF to persuade me the same one or two factories aren't churning out all tips in china, in fact, i know they are. Layered tips are new to UK snooker markets (hence leading to confused terminology and wide spread misinformation) but they are far from new in american pool circles, where there has been a wealth of information about all aspects of production for yonks.

Comment

• Originally Posted by andi mack View Post
      You asked for a maker who calls them laminated, while Andrew may not make them himself. He does have them made and calls them laminated.

Yep exactly this!

Yep, hence you can get laminated wood, glass, flooring, tips, etc

Edit: i see others have also given examples.

I think mr big shot has gotten hung up on one form of laminate i.e. wrapping paper in plastic at the expense of other forms of laminate.

He can call them what he wants, doesn't make it correct. Lots of sellers list "pool sticks" for sale. Let's have snooker sticks, then - it's ok, some bloke called them that and a stick fits the description well enough. Not so keen now, huh?

When your tip starts to wear down to replacement time, do you say "i'm down to my final two laminates, it needs replacing"? It is imprecise and clumsy.

I swear, most people don't appear to understand what the point of layered tips is in the first place. When wood, glass etc are laminated in order to wear down at an even rate, and maintain their hardness level from start to finish, I'll listen. Until then, they're layered, which is why Mr Moori, Mr Kamui, Mr Tiger, Mr Ultrskin and the myriad of manufacturers all call them, ahem, layered.

Generic stampers are free to call them whatever they please, however.
      Last edited by Hello, Mr Big Shot; 17 January 2016, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
        Really? Which one then? The layered tip market is a murky old world, and you may not be buying what you think you are buying and from which country.

Will need a LOT of PROOF to persuade me the same one or two factories aren't churning out all tips in china, in fact, i know they are. Layered tips are new to UK snooker markets (hence leading to confused terminology and wide spread misinformation) but they are far from new in american pool circles, where there has been a wealth of information about all aspects of production for yonks.
        Because I know nothing about it.... New to the UK market? pretty sure I started fitting them in 1991 and selling them in about 1995.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

He can call them what he wants, doesn't make it correct. Lots of sellers list "pool sticks" for sale. Let's have snooker sticks, then - it's ok, some bloke called them that and a stick fits the description well enough. Not so keen now, huh?

When your tip starts to wear down to replacement time, do you say "i'm down to my final two laminates, it needs replacing"? It is imprecise and clumsy.

I swear, most people don't appear to understand what the point of layered tips is in the first place. When wood, glass etc are laminated in order to wear down at an even rate, and maintain their hardness level from start to finish, I'll listen. Until then, they're layered, which is why Mr Moori, Mr Kamui, Mr Tiger, Mr Ultrskin and the myriad of manufacturers all call them, ahem, layered.

Generic stampers are free to call them whatever they please, however.
          Is that why tips are laminated, to wear down evenly? I didn't know that, I thought just like wood etc it was to add internal strength, to stop torsion and sponginess you can get from a pressed tip, so it produces a more consistent product,I doubt they will wear evenly at all, if you hold the cue badge up every shot , roughly the same part of the tip will contact the object ball most of the time, surely this will wear quicker than the sides of the tip ,which ever way it's made, I don't know much about them to be truthful ,just asking some questions to find out.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• I hope my laminated windscreen is not "wearing down" at all!
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Stop hitting it with the cue ball lol.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Actually upon checking out the official moori, kamui and tiger websites...

moori call them laminated tips.

kamui japan just call them tips (kami usa call them layered).

Tiger call them laminated tips.

I couldn't be bothered to check the last one.

So it would appear that calling them layered tips is an americanism, rather than what the manufacturer's intended.

Oh and according to moori and kamui the point of a laminated / layered tip is to "create uniformed quality and performance". Rather than a pressed tip gradually getting harder over the course of it's use.

Have a good one.
                Andi Mack

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Is that why tips are laminated, to wear down evenly? I didn't know that, I thought just like wood etc it was to add internal strength, to stop torsion and sponginess you can get from a pressed tip, so it produces a more consistent product,I doubt they will wear evenly at all, if you hold the cue badge up every shot , roughly the same part of the tip will contact the object ball most of the time, surely this will wear quicker than the sides of the tip ,which ever way it's made, I don't know much about them to be truthful ,just asking some questions to find out.
                  Well , according to Big shot, nobody knows much about them , so do'nt worry about that my friend ( u re Not the only one ).
                  But what you just said in your post about Laminated tips , Is true .
                  Good post .

Comment

So it would appear that calling them layered tips is an americanism, rather than what the manufacturer's intended.

Oh and according to moori and kamui the point of a laminated / layered tip is to "create uniformed quality and performance". Rather than a pressed tip gradually getting harder over the course of it's use.

Have a good one.
                    Original mooris - seen as the greatest tips ever made, and now worth a fortune - were called layered. The origin and production of modern mooris is shrouded in mystery, and almost certainly bears no relation to the original company. Forget what they call their goods. The one you couldn't be bothered with say layered, I'll save you the bother of wasting 30 secs on google.

Oh, and doesn't "create uniformed quality and performance" completely back up my point about their intention?

Comment

Have a good one.
                      Original mooris - seen as the greatest tips ever made, and now worth a fortune - were called layered. The origin and production of modern mooris is shrouded in mystery, and almost certainly bears no relation to the original company. Forget what they call their goods. The one you couldn't be bothered with say layered, I'll save you the bother of wasting 30 secs on google.

Oh, and doesn't "create uniformed quality and performance" completely back up my point about their intention?

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        Yes, that is their USP. A tip should stay the same hardness throughout its life, in theory. It is up to the user to decide whether this is true or just marketing BS (not to mention whether the near constant glazing is worth it, either).

Comment

Because I know nothing about it.... New to the UK market? pretty sure I started fitting them in 1991 and selling them in about 1995.
                          1991? Who made them in 1991?

And you didn't answer my question about the country of origin...what something says on the box ain't necessarily true...

Comment

• There is some real drivel being talked here and we are going off topic. Actually Moori were originally described as laminated, as were all the others I think, the real reason some companies changed the description to layered is that too many Americans did not know what laminated meant. A bit like with Harry Potter.

Comment

1991? Who made them in 1991?

And you didn't answer my question about the country of origin...what something says on the box ain't necessarily true...
                              You tell me fella, you know so much about it

Comment

There is some real drivel being talked here and we are going off topic. Actually Moori were originally described as laminated, as were all the others I think, the real reason some companies changed the description to layered is that too many Americans did not know what laminated meant. A bit like with Harry Potter.
                                exactly !! at this time , they all call it Laminated tips .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HYERHnHS8U

Comment

Working...
                                X