My first leather case attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first leather case attempt

I decided to take on the task of making a one piece slimline case for myself a couple weeks ago due not being able to find a leather case that I liked the look of with a price to match, also so called slimline cases didn't seem to be that slim. I have used thick buffalo hide for the covering ~1.5mm thick and suede inside ~1.2mm thick. ALong with 5 cheney catches and 5 butterfly hinges.

Fits my one piece and piece of chalk (just)

Specs:
    internally - 60" x 1 1/4"(32mm)
    Externally - 61" x 2 1/4" x 2 1/4"

Please see photos attached and leave any comments. I have enough materials to do one more which should be complete within the next two weeks or so with a similar design (check pattern).

Very nice... For me, the ends I would like the screws to be symmetrical, same on both and both ends, and the stitching a bit tighter. But overall looks quality and well made.

Comment

Looks good that

Comment

Probably better than most for a first attempt. Good on you.
        The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Very impressive for a first attempt. Did it take you long to make? Any lessons learned?

Comment

Very nice mate..... Cracking first attempt!!
            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
              Very nice... For me, the ends I would like the screws to be symmetrical, same on both and both ends, and the stitching a bit tighter. But overall looks quality and well made.
              Thanks, yh I get what you're saying from a aesthetic pov, there was a reason why I decided to do it like this however for the life of me I can't remember why now. The stitching is actually kind of double stitched but I used a black thread for the other so it's difficult to see in the photos.

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
              Very impressive for a first attempt. Did it take you long to make? Any lessons learned?
              Thanks, I have been making it on and off over the last two weeks. All in all it prob took me about 12-15 hrs due to having to think a few things through. A few struggles along the way and few hurdles surpassed. The biggest lesson I learnt was, not use an aerosol based adhesive as the canister exploded on me on its first use and wrecked a few bits of leather. Apart from that I was relatively happy with how it came together

Comment

Well done rogibear! Will there be any more?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                  Well done rogibear! Will there be any more?
                  Atm I have enough materials to make one more, after that I don't know

Comment

Looks the real deal very nice, out of interest how many hours went into it?
                    Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

That looks good mate you going into production with them

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                        Looks the real deal very nice, out of interest how many hours went into it?
                        Between 12- 15 hours

Originally Posted by Removal man stevie View Post
                        That looks good mate you going into production with them
                        I don't think so, maybe make a few when I've got time but no more than that

Comment

Well done, its nice to get the satisfaction of making something yourself, it looks very good and I'm sure the next one you make will be even better and built quicker from the lessons you have learned. How did you make the frame for the case and what did you make it out of?

Comment

Originally Posted by rdsalt View Post
                            Well done, its nice to get the satisfaction of making something yourself, it looks very good and I'm sure the next one you make will be even better and built quicker from the lessons you have learned. How did you make the frame for the case and what did you make it out of?
                            Thanks, I've actually finished the 2nd one today. I will post some photos of it tomorrow. I used a traditional box construction from MDF.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                              Thanks, I've actually finished the 2nd one today. I will post some photos of it tomorrow. I used a traditional box construction from MDF.
                              Nice to hear an update, look forward to the pictures; especially if it's as good as the first! :snooker:
                              "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Working...
                              X