New special elk master tips as used by Ronnie O'sullivan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    Not quite the same though Tel, the elkmaster tips are top notch, always have been and there really is no reason for anyone to go elsewhere unless they have been fooled by marketing and fashion or are one of those berks who blame their tip when playing bad.
    I guess Ronnie O'Sullivan is a "berk" then
    Last edited by matt926_uk; 9 April 2014, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Wow, thought we might have had a review? Can anyone shed some light on these tips, the big question for me is,,
      Is there a big difference?

Comment

I guess the reality is these tips really aren't much better than a good elk from a standard box and people were probably expecting a lot more. Question is would you really pay a premium for a tip that used to be this level of quality years ago? Considering you can buy a normal box for nearly a 1/5 of what these cost I think cost effective wise its still cheaper to buy a standard box and pick out the ones that are good, you'd be very unlucky not to find at least 20 in a box of 50 the same standard as these and that means they should only cost £1 at most IMO.

Comment

I'm using one at the moment and would agree with cueman that there isn't a lot of difference between these new elks and a good firm original elk. Nice tips though, good spin and cue ball control, nice feel, not tingy like a laminated and not dull either, kind of perfect actually! And i like the fact they arent impregnated with chalk. Are they worth the extra money? i'm not sure :/
          I think i would prefer to use one of these over a normal elk though, saves u the bother of taking off duff tips and wasting your time.
          Last edited by matt926_uk; 12 April 2014, 12:23 AM.

Comment

I have used the new tip twice this week and will again tonight.
            Fitting was very nice and easy, trimming was very easy compared to some other tips. Hard to sand down, hence my rating of the tip as hard.

Tuesday 3-4hrs, played absolutely s**t, getting a lot of deflection from who-knows-where, that is very off-putting. The tip feels hard (harder than I prefer) but nice; a little "softer" would be better for me, maybe with time it will bed in softer, ?
            Takes chalk ok, but took some time to get the tip chalked up evenly. There was a lot of transfer of chalk to cue ball initially, which settles as the tip became chalked-up.
            It does not sound tingy (as mentioned before) but solid, not perfect to me but ok.
            I do like the non-impregnated look and I think it does help with the consistent feel across the tips I have got.

Thursday 4hrs, played better but with some deflection still, tip same not change no need to redress, chalks (spruce) nicely but took time to get it "started" now it takes the chalk for the shots ok

Worth the money? hmmm
            I will pay again tonight and will see, may get a heavy sandpaper to "flick" to the top of the tip as feels "compacted".
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by matt926_uk View Post
              I'm using one at the moment and would agree with cueman that there isn't a lot of difference between these new elks and a good firm original elk. Nice tips though, good spin and cue ball control, nice feel, not tingy like a laminated and not dull either, kind of perfect actually! And i like the fact they arent impregnated with chalk. Are they worth the extra money? i'm not sure :/
              I think i would prefer to use one of these over a normal elk though, saves u the bother of taking off duff tips and wasting your time.
              Agree with this and cueman. I couldn't detect any difference with the new tips when compared to a good firm Elk Master. And as I said previously I did get one (so far) that shredded when I went to shape it and had to replace it (I sent the spongy one back to Tweeten).

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

As a couple of us have stated before, get a tip press and experiment with normal elks, you won't look back once you find what works for you.

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
                  As a couple of us have stated before, get a tip press and experiment with normal elks, you won't look back once you find what works for you.
                  Where is best place to get a tip press? Would like to add one to my tipping kit.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                    Where is best place to get a tip press? Would like to add one to my tipping kit.
                    These seem very reasonable
                    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Pool...item460e219534

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      That's exactly what i have got and it works a treat, make sure you get the one that pressed the tip into a domed shape, there's another that just flattens and not dome.

EDIT

Also i'd like to add i have pressed an elk to the smallest i can get it and it was like playing with a talisman soft so i took it off and went about half way and it plays like a decent solid elk that grips well

Comment

how do you test an elk to see if it any good?

Comment

Originally Posted by prince07799 View Post
                          how do you test an elk to see if it any good?

Put a finger nail into it, if it leaves an indentation its a softer elk if it don't it's a harder one

Comment

cheers bud

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              Cheers, will take a look. I like the newer tips but most of my mates stick to the good old elk so could be useful for there tips.

Comment

New special elk master tips as used by Ronnie O'sullivan

Third night out and I think the tip is bedding in ok.
                                Sounding nicer and playing better than the other nights. Feel starting to get for what I expect for the shot.
                                Probably keep it on unlike after Tuesday
                                at least for a while longer...
                                worth the extra £? probably not...
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X