No announcement yet.

Tip Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen many youtube vids of tips being burnished on a lathe, but what gets the best results when done by hand? Never quite mastered that professional look.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

ADR sells a teflon tool which works really well, but failing that a £20 note and a bit of patience.
      No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
        Seen many youtube vids of tips being burnished on a lathe, but what gets the best results when done by hand? Never quite mastered that professional look.
        You can do something similar to a lathe by rolling your cue back and forth across your lap while holding whatever paper/gadget on the tip. I do this for super fine sandpaper and burnishing. Nothing will ever beat a lathe though.
        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Ill reach for the sandpaper when i miscue or i see the chalk is not sticking.
          "Practice Makes Perfect"
          "He Who Endures Conquers"
          "Fortune Favours The Brave"

1 piece Trevor White 8.5mm Tip,17 1/2oz,57"

Comment

I recently discovered that the pencil sharpener device for cue tips works wonders on making the tip sides smooth and looks very good.

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
              I recently discovered that the pencil sharpener device for cue tips works wonders on making the tip sides smooth and looks very good.
              Could you explain that a bit further please longbomb??

Surely the pencil sharper device is used for trimming the tip not burnishing it......
              Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
              Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

How often do you mess with your tip?

Its shaped and bedded in, its playing all the shots and your happy with it. So when do you reach for the sandpaper?

Is it to scuff it up after a couple of miss cues? has it lost its shape?

Shouldnt a good tip last for many years or do they simply dry out through all the chalk and become dull hitting and useless?
                I use this one : Ultra Smoother Top Cleaner

With the leather side of this cleaner maintenance can maximize the tip of your cue but also the rest of your shaft. By rubbing the leather side with a constant friction on the wood of the keutop the pores of the wood cut themselves off so that the fibers are closed. Nicely This makes for a nice smooth top and ensures that the chalk does not soak into the wood or the tip.
                After I've used it. I grease the sides of the tip with a little B -wax or oil. This prevents the tip from drying uit. ( NOT FOR THE PRESS TIPS !!!!!!!!)
                Not exactly a perfect advice, but it works for the tip i use. ( poor quality picture. Sorry ).

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                  Could you explain that a bit further please longbomb??

Surely the pencil sharper device is used for trimming the tip not burnishing it......
                  Yes, exactly. That's what I use it for. When you try a burnish a tip without a good side trim, there will be flat spots from the cut marks that occur when you use your blade. If you can get the tip sides to be trimmed properly, the burnishing step will look much better. As mentioned, some wax (I use shoe leather wax) will make the tip sides more resilient to fine hairs and splitting.

Comment

Yes, exactly. That's what I use it for. When you try a burnish a tip without a good side trim, there will be flat spots from the cut marks that occur when you use your blade. If you can get the tip sides to be trimmed properly, the burnishing step will look much better. As mentioned, some wax (I use shoe leather wax) will make the tip sides more resilient to fine hairs and splitting.
                    All makes perfect sense in theory. Never tried the pencil trimmer but would imagine it would have to be incredibly sharp to trim a tip flush with the ferrule without ripping the tip to shreads
                    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

All makes perfect sense in theory. Never tried the pencil trimmer but would imagine it would have to be incredibly sharp to trim a tip flush with the ferrule without ripping the tip to shreads
                      Ya, that's the problem I have also. The sharpener I use has a screwed in blade which I remove and sharpen up on a piece of sandpaper every once in a while. It doesn't cut like a proper utility knife, but it's sharp enough to get the job done and do the final trim job on the sides. Layered tips seem to take this device better by the way.

Comment

I used a sharpener and took a bit of brass off mr ferulle
                        "Practice Makes Perfect"
                        "He Who Endures Conquers"
                        "Fortune Favours The Brave"

1 piece Trevor White 8.5mm Tip,17 1/2oz,57"

Comment

Originally Posted by WelshPhantom View Post
                          I used a sharpener and took a bit of brass off mr ferulle
                          Brass is relatively soft compared to the titanium I'm using fitted locally here.

Comment

Ahhhhh right I see what your saying longbomb..... a good foundation for the burnishing!!
                            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by svendh View Post
                              I use the kamui gator grip tool, it's perfect to roughen the tip without taking too much of it.

http://youtu.be/GJ10K3FeYEw
                              I bought this Kamui Gator grip ,yesterday. I must say, they are not cheap but they are worth the money. it works perfectly. thanks for the advice.

Comment

I need to be taught about tips, I stick one on, and just ignore it. When should you start faffing around with them?
                                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                                X