No announcement yet.

My attempt at making a tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did you get your leather from Shockerz, a cobblers,them offcuts sold on ebay or elsewhere?
    Shoe sole leather I'd imagine would be hard enough without the need to press/milk but uppers leather nah, wouldn't think that'd be any good.

Nobody has asked me to try mine and I offered them for free with free postage !

When I get round to it I'll make this rig thingy to apply the same pressure to the durometer every time and measure mine / mine pressed/ and milked.

Oh and just in case there s anyone who wanted to know why my favorite record "do I love You" I linked to earlier was in the Guiness book of records, well there is only two 45's in the world and one is smashed. It was sold to a Scottish guy for £14500 a few years ago but he's since sold it on to an unknown person for an undisclosed amount somewhere over £20,000. Cant get much rarer than that can you?

Comment

Thick shoe sole leather that I found on the net, took a while to find the right stuff mind and it was only a leftover albeit a 4ft by 6" one.

It felt a little spongy to put straight on so used the milk method.

For some reason I didn't pick up on your offer for tips mate but I'll definitely stick one on and try it against mine if you like; it may help me understand any differences.

Saw the record on the internet this morning for over £25k!

I'll pm my address, cheers.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

I will try one if you want Jimmy, I just noticed today my tip is near needing changed so the timing couldn't be better.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post

Saw the record on the internet this morning for over £25k!
          Just re read that and you've confused me now (I'm getting old mate I'm easily confused)

Do you mean it was sold for 25k or it's for sale now at 25k ?

Love me Northern soul mate but never bought a record. Could not afford to follow Wolves home and away and go to the Torch etc just bought the cassettes the clubbers used to record. The stages and the decks could hardly be seen for all them old Decca cassette machines.

Comment

Hi Jimmy,

I like your DIY tips & I would also like to try one if possible.

I found this on ebay
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3814130552...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

do you think this will work to make my own?

cheers
            matt

Comment

Hmmm it's so hard to tell from just a picture. I just looked at it quickly and also saw from the same seller leather belts which look much the same. belt leather I imagine isn't going to be hard enough unless your going the laminated route, or maybe milk and pressing which I've never tried although I have one of those £10 or so tools. The sole leather my uncle always bought would be much harder you could not roll it like them pics.

Best thing I can say is pm me your addy and tell me if you have or are going to buy one of them 10mm punches about £3-£4. I'll nock out a few tips if you don't have/buy a punch or I'll send you a couple of my heels. That way you can see for yourself. Then if your going to buy leather unseen say off ebay at least you can pm the seller and talk about the hardness you want because merely saying you want a leather on a par with an elk. The seller wont have a clue what your on about.

Comment

Originally Posted by matthias View Post
                Hi Jimmy,

I like your DIY tips & I would also like to try one if possible.

I found this on ebay
                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3814130552...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

do you think this will work to make my own?

cheers
                matt
                Hi Matt

Don't buy that one as I've already got some of it as a sample. Made a tip from it and gave to my mate.

I use him to test them as I've never seen anyone hit the ball as hard as him, he smashed it to bits inside one session with pieces falling off it!

If you still wanna try it pm me and I'll send you a bit but it didn't work for me and I'd also tried hardening it.

Comment

thanks shockerz,

I was thinking it might to soft, so no need to send it, thanks for offering though

I pm'd Jimmy, to try one of his , if they are nice I will hunt down every cobbler in the area

cheers
                  matt

Comment

Originally Posted by jimmymoller View Post
                    Just re read that and you've confused me now (I'm getting old mate I'm easily confused)

Do you mean it was sold for 25k or it's for sale now at 25k ?

Love me Northern soul mate but never bought a record. Could not afford to follow Wolves home and away and go to the Torch etc just bought the cassettes the clubbers used to record. The stages and the decks could hardly be seen for all them old Decca cassette machines.
                    You'll have to ask me earlier normally as I too have a poor memory and struggled to even remember what we were talking about.

I take it that this was the record you meant, sold for £25k, had to find it again on the internet.

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/66373

Comment

Originally Posted by matthias View Post
                      thanks shockerz,

I was thinking it might to soft, so no need to send it, thanks for offering though

I pm'd Jimmy, to try one of his , if they are nice I will hunt down every cobbler in the area

cheers
                      matt
                      I don't know what Jimmy thinks but I would have thought you would still have to do some tinkering with the leather as his is old and hard (as is the leather) and may want to add a little something to it?

Comment

I don't know what Jimmy thinks but I would have thought you would still have to do some tinkering with the leather as his is old and hard (as is the leather) and may want to add a little something to it?
                        as I understand from jimmy his are much harder, wouldn't be able to roll them up as the one i found on ebay

Comment

Oi watch it pal! I may be 59 but I've never had any complaints in that department thank you very much.

Actually I've given up on women, and my virginity has grown back.

Re Frank Wilson, cheers. Funny thing is I have oh enough northern here to do an all weeker never mind a whole nighter and have been keeping the faith as they say since the late 60's yet I never heard Franks song till about 6 years ago.

Back to the tips.... Been trying to think how best to explain what sort of leather to look out for. Yeah that which I use is older than me but maybe this will describe what to look out for....

I used to wear Loakes Brogues all the time, bloody dear shoes nowadays probably about £200 a pair and of course when the leather wore out I went to my uncle to get them repaired as he'd only charge me for the leather. Last time he charged me something around £15 about 17 years ago so today enough leather of this quality for a pair of shoes would be a fair bit more. It was hard and heavy stuff usually tied up to the back of his shed door, unfoldable definitely and big as he was with a razor sharp knife he had to work hard to cut it. I think if I were looking for some now I'd simply say to a cobbler gimme the best you have as these are expensive welted shoes (google welted soles if you dunno what I mean most folks don't) .
                          I asked about offcuts in a cobblers / engravers place a week back. He picked some offcuts up and said sorry but we use the bits for packing the heels up. What he meant by that I really don't know but if all cobblers do the same maybe asking them is pointless.
                          Had another look on ebay and maybe a pm to this guy might be worthwhile.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-So...3D182268907886

Comment

Oi watch it pal! I may be 59 but I've never had any complaints in that department thank you very much.
                            Not from the living anyway.....

Had another look on ebay and maybe a pm to this guy might be worthwhile.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-So...3D182268907886
                            Might give them a go mate cheers...

Comment

Working...
                            X