Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between Thailand made and English made cues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between Thailand made and English made cues?

I am interested in Ashwood quality, power in stroke, shaft smoothness and durability of the cue.

I am about to buy a cue customized to my preference. I want this cue to be the one which i play with forever. Earlier I was going to buy a Ton Praram Boyond pro Shaft(plain ebony butt), but someone at my academy said that English made cues are far superior with respect to power in the stroke, smoothness, durability and the quality of wood used for the shaft. This made me conflicted.

Now I am also considering Mike Wooldridge black legend also. If MW playability is superior then I will definitely go for it.

I know every cue is different but please consider cue maker's track record into consideration.

Help would be appreciated
    Guts over Glory

Thailand cues have got a good reputation from what I’ve heard

Comment

Nope not getting into this one( one for the oldies on here).
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        Nope not getting into this one( one for the oldies on here).
        I hovered on the reply button but resisted the temptation

Comment

Difference is about 200 pounds lol.
          Joking apart the Thai cues are on a par with English made cues IMO. There’s not any real reason why a skilled Thai craftsman should be any better or worse than an English craftsman. All things being equal each should be able to source top quality timber for shafts.
          Most of the top 16 players use John Paris cues but that’s probably cos they can visit him and discuss their requirements in detail.
          I have a couple of Thai cues and their build quality is excellent. To get the same from John Paris, Mike Woolridge etc I would have had to spend a whole lot more.

Comment

Originally Posted by throwawayttyl102 View Post
            I am interested in Ashwood quality, power in stroke, shaft smoothness and durability of the cue.

I am about to buy a cue customized to my preference. I want this cue to be the one which i play with forever. Earlier I was going to buy a Ton Praram Boyond pro Shaft(plain ebony butt), but someone at my academy said that English made cues are far superior with respect to power in the stroke, smoothness, durability and the quality of wood used for the shaft. This made me conflicted.

Now I am also considering Mike Wooldridge black legend also. If MW playability is superior then I will definitely go for it.

I know every cue is different but please consider cue maker's track record into consideration.

Help would be appreciated
            MW and TP3 beyond are very good but you can get the same quality for about half the price. Thai made precision cues for example.

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

What cue-maker should I contact then in order to get the best quality timber(power in stroke, density, required stiffness/flex, etc.) with best craftsmanship (specs requirement, smoothness, splice finish, etc.) and reliability (cue-life, craftsman consistent history, craftsman communication)? If it makes sense.
              Guts over Glory

Comment

Grabs popcorn, is this new trailer for thaigate 2?

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                  grabs popcorn, is this new trailer for thaigate 2?
                  lol.......

Comment

Come on lads ……where’s your balls

I’m sure that a few cuemakers have said in the past that they use Thai cues and re-splice them .

So obviously the quality is excellent.
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

What cue-maker should I contact then in order to get the best quality timber(power in stroke, density, required stiffness/flex, etc.) with best craftsmanship (specs requirement, smoothness, splice finish, etc.) and reliability (cue-life, craftsman consistent history, craftsman communication)? If it makes sense.
                      I think your asking an impossible question. What is the best cue to match with all your requirements is an extremely complex subject.
                      BTW if you’re after a handmade cue by one of the highly regarded English cue makers ( Paris. Woolridge. Trevor White etc) you’ll need to be prepared to wait a couple of years for delivery.

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

If your serious about all that then really you need to get yourself to Green Baize in Stockton-on-Tees. Spend the day there and just try different cues! They have plenty of Thai cues to try out, so you’ll be able to feel the quality for yourself! Maximus, Ton Praram, SP and some others I can’t remember. Forget your John Parris, your just paying for the name! Plus they not made by John, it’s Dave in the workshop…. If I was paying that money and waiting 3 years for a cue I’d at least expect the man himself to have made it

Comment

Exactly Steve , that’s why why Dave Coutts has a long waiting list ,as the hand made cues are only made by him .

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                            Exactly Steve , that’s why why Dave Coutts has a long waiting list ,as the hand made cues are only made by him .
                            How it should be, especially at the kinda prices JP is asking for his cues! Not knocking the guys in the back room who are actually making them, but I’m just saying for me if I bought one that’s what I would expect when the guys name is on the badge.

Comment

There's a song by The Doobie Brothers called 'Tell Me What You Want (and I'll give you what you need)'
                              Some cue makers need to take this mantra to their customers but I take it they'll fear to lose sales. Money talks and badge snobs simply don't know what's best for them.
                              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
                              X