hunt and osborn Vs parris cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Asi View Post
    Seriously, what does EEK icon mean? Have no idea and couldn't find the meaning on Google.
    Asi, EEK means: gasp, shock, surprise! Sometimes also disappointment and horror.
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Thank you all for aour compassion and support.

So I try to put together everything:

The cue is 3/4 with join at 16", 57", 17 oz, 30mm butt, balance point at17" and a 9.5 mm tip.
      So, nothing special...
      The shaft is nice looking ash with just 5 chevrons which are not perfectly spaced. I have asked for a slightly slim tapered shaft because that is what I like.
      My first suspect was the tip, so I changed it with a Mike Wooldridge super Tip with no really positive effect.
      When I hold the cue at the balance point and knock it to my other hand the elasticity seems to be quite OK compared to the cues i can play better.
      (For all the technical specs I have an Excel spreadsheet to collect all data of cues I get in my hands. Crazy, I know but I am a bit of a number cruncher)

I gave the cue to a friend without saying a word and he had exactly the same feeling of the cue being a bit dead.

I have the feeling that it might be the join at 16" which could be the problem. I prefer 1pc cues a lot and my superb playing JP ultimate is jointed at 11.5".
      To lock the join properly I have to use quite a lot torque. Otherwise it sounds as if it is not properly connected. I will check that with the technicians in my workshop.

It is really a pity that the cue does not meet the (really high) expectations i had.
      But that is the problem not to live in UK and not having the possibility to test.

This is the reason for my goal to have at the end a collection of cues from every top cue maker in UK. One of them will be at the end my loved playing cue. And the rest will be quite a nice collection...
      I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Oh, I forgot: The cue has the number 50. I was expecting a much higher number there....
        But I think they have started at 0 when Will and Robert started their cooperation.

Comment

If you order a custom made cue and not stock cue, There is no different between living overseas or living in the UK.
          Only the shipping cost. btw, I've ordered JP PARAGON 5 years ago, didn't like the "fell" of the cue.Talked to John, sent it back, waited few more weeks until they made me another one. didn't have to pay for the cue again, only one way shipping. good service. I would expect H&O to have the same kind of service.

PS. didn't like the second one as well...but kept it for my collection :-)
          Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

This is the reason for my goal to have at the end a collection of cues from every top cue maker in UK. One of them will be at the end my loved playing cue. And the rest will be quite a nice collection...[/QUOTE]

"SNAP" ive got the same goal
            how many different cues have you got at the moment and whats your favourite

cheers luke
            http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/a...new%20project/

Comment

The joint position would have very little effect on the cue feel, unless of course it is totally different to what you are used to but then that is down to your mistake as much as anything.

The slim tapered shaft if anything should help with the feel and should certainly have more of a spring to it than a shaft with a chunky taper so again I wouldn't see that as an area of fault.

I'm very surprised at the spec they have managed to produce though. To have a cue at that length with a solid butt jointed at 16" and a balance point at 17" and coming out at 17 ozs takes some doing. Naturally that would weigh nearer 19oz, especially given the weight of the joint they use so somewhere something doesn't sound quite right to me.
              Either the shaft is not dense enough or they have cut corners somewhere to get the weight and balance point where you've asked it to be that it has had an affect on the cue being lifeless.
              I'm not a cue maker but those numbers really don't add up to me, it could just be that to get the cue coming out at with those specs that you've had to sacrifice the feel of the cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                Asi, EEK means: gasp, shock, surprise! Sometimes also disappointment and horror.
                onomatopoeia isnt it keith
                sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
                  Thank you all for aour compassion and support.

So I try to put together everything:

The cue is 3/4 with join at 16", 57", 17 oz, 30mm butt, balance point at17" and a 9.5 mm tip.
                  So, nothing special...
                  The shaft is nice looking ash with just 5 chevrons which are not perfectly spaced. I have asked for a slightly slim tapered shaft because that is what I like.
                  My first suspect was the tip, so I changed it with a Mike Wooldridge super Tip with no really positive effect.
                  When I hold the cue at the balance point and knock it to my other hand the elasticity seems to be quite OK compared to the cues i can play better.
                  (For all the technical specs I have an Excel spreadsheet to collect all data of cues I get in my hands. Crazy, I know but I am a bit of a number cruncher)

I gave the cue to a friend without saying a word and he had exactly the same feeling of the cue being a bit dead.

I have the feeling that it might be the join at 16" which could be the problem. I prefer 1pc cues a lot and my superb playing JP ultimate is jointed at 11.5".
                  To lock the join properly I have to use quite a lot torque. Otherwise it sounds as if it is not properly connected. I will check that with the technicians in my workshop.

It is really a pity that the cue does not meet the (really high) expectations i had.
                  But that is the problem not to live in UK and not having the possibility to test.

This is the reason for my goal to have at the end a collection of cues from every top cue maker in UK. One of them will be at the end my loved playing cue. And the rest will be quite a nice collection...

Wow dedication to the art, wanting a cue from every top maker before picking the one you want to use.
                  I too got into collecting cues years ago. I can honestly say it can be as addictive as playing the game.

The one problem I will say I have had is that if you have a bad day (as we all do) you are then tempted to pick another cue up and use that and you never get fully used to just one cue. I have sold most of my collection now and I just kept a few and I try not to swap and change as much. Its a shame the Hunt ond O B is not what you expected, when you spend that kind of money without trying then thats always the risk but from a collecting p.o.v. they have a good name and hold their value well. Good luck with the search for the perfect cue. been there... still there..

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                    The joint position would have very little effect on the cue feel, unless of course it is totally different to what you are used to but then that is down to your mistake as much as anything.

The slim tapered shaft if anything should help with the feel and should certainly have more of a spring to it than a shaft with a chunky taper so again I wouldn't see that as an area of fault.

I'm very surprised at the spec they have managed to produce though. To have a cue at that length with a solid butt jointed at 16" and a balance point at 17" and coming out at 17 ozs takes some doing. Naturally that would weigh nearer 19oz, especially given the weight of the joint they use so somewhere something doesn't sound quite right to me.
                    Either the shaft is not dense enough or they have cut corners somewhere to get the weight and balance point where you've asked it to be that it has had an affect on the cue being lifeless.
                    I'm not a cue maker but those numbers really don't add up to me, it could just be that to get the cue coming out at with those specs that you've had to sacrifice the feel of the cue.

i tend to agree with this post, altho i can only go off other people's opinions as im certainly no expert!

me and a mate were with kev muncaster, my mate wanted 17oz joint at 16".
                    kev said it was tricky to achieve below 18oz with 3/4 split due to the weight of the ebony and my mate ordered a one piece.

(my 18.5oz 3/4 plays nicely) - altho cant wait for my trevor white!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                      Now that I read this I relize that I have not mentioned that the butt is made of rosewood... So it is not that dense.

Wow dedication to the art, wanting a cue from every top maker before picking the one you want to use.
                      I too got into collecting cues years ago. I can honestly say it can be as addictive as playing the game.

The one problem I will say I have had is that if you have a bad day (as we all do) you are then tempted to pick another cue up and use that and you never get fully used to just one cue. I have sold most of my collection now and I just kept a few and I try not to swap and change as much. Its a shame the Hunt ond O B is not what you expected, when you spend that kind of money without trying then thats always the risk but from a collecting p.o.v. they have a good name and hold their value well. Good luck with the search for the perfect cue. been there... still there..

I totally agree that the dedication to cues is as addictive as plying the game. And I like it.
                      But I also see and know the problem that on a bad day it is too easy to blame the cue and change it. Therfore I just pick one when going to the club.
                      And there will be a point when I will start to sell some of my cues and will keep just the most precious to me.

Comment

So, nothing special...

Thanks for the specs, they help a little bit. As with the others, I don't think the joint nor its position would affect the feeling of the cue. The fact you have a cue with a nice slim taper and a lot of elasticity would indicate a lively cue. What I need from you to understand better is for you to elaborate on "dead", please. "Dead", how? In which way is it dead? I know it's not at all easy to explain, but if you could try then it'd help more than the specs.

The only other thing I'd ask you to do is to hold the cue where you hold it for playing and tap the cue against your hand and see if you get the same feeling of elasticity. What I'm thinking is that: to make the cue so light, remembering that rosewood is still a dense wood (even if it's not as dense as ebony), and the cue is a 3/4 with one of their heavy joints in, they might have drilled some weight out of the centre of the butt and this might cause the feeling of lifelessness.
                        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                          onomatopoeia isnt it keith
                          Yes, it is indeed, my friend. However, onomatopoeia is cultural and therefore it's an idiom. Which is why Asi, being a Hebrew speaker, doesn't get the word.

Comment

Working...
                          X