No announcement yet.

Bridge Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great to hear from you - Italy, you did not met a Marco Staiano? I have had some dealing with him about Italian players over the years, not heard from him in a while will have to reach out
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

What a fantastic post Anthony, I loved reading that.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

What a great post from Anthony. After obtaining one of Anthony’s catalogues I bought a Classic Custom Cue from him (#53) I was about 15 years old when I bought it I also bought one of the ‘Shaved/Tapered’ screw in extensions too.

https://ibb.co/bgLwRjV
        https://ibb.co/tLYRHxv
        https://ibb.co/M2QVkxD

great memories. Enjoyed reading your catalogues.

Comment

Hi Anthony

Do you still have any cues?

If so, it would be great to see some pics!

Also. Which players did you manage?
          Please share your funniest stories and experiences
          "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
          National Snooker Expo
          25-27 October 2019
          http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            Great to hear from you - Italy, you did not met a Marco Staiano? I have had some dealing with him about Italian players over the years, not heard from him in a while will have to reach out
            I have exchanged many emails with Marco. He seems a nice guy and I sent him plenty of products and all my personal memorabilia apart from my cue and case. I'll be honoured if my products and posters etc are seen in a museum in Rome which he is hoping to set up this year. I wish him well.

All the best Anthony

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              What a fantastic post Anthony, I loved reading that.
              Thank you for your compliment. I have many memories going back nearly 50 years. Unfortunately all the guys I was playing with and the stars of the 80's have passed on. It's nice to hear compliments.

All the best

Anthony

Comment

I'm pleased you enjoyed what I had to say. There's nearly 50 years of tales I could tell but nothing derogatory. Everyone I met were nice people. I've stopped doing after dinner talks these day but most funny stories I have were told at such dinners. Maybe I shall relate some at a later time.

Comment

Originally Posted by ebonynivory View Post
                  What a great post from Anthony. After obtaining one of Anthony’s catalogues I bought a Classic Custom Cue from him (#53) I was about 15 years old when I bought it I also bought one of the ‘Shaved/Tapered’ screw in extensions too.

https://ibb.co/bgLwRjV
                  https://ibb.co/tLYRHxv
                  https://ibb.co/M2QVkxD

great memories. Enjoyed reading your catalogues.
                  How lovely to hear what you say. I had about 6 catalogues, on every two or three years. In the 80's I got a visit from a man from Taiwan who wanted me to buy direct from him. After a few weeks I worked out that I could three times my sales fore the same price. Which that I could sell wholesale to the trade and offer big discounts to my retail customers. So most of my cheap cues were made in China but my better class cues were made by English makers. Every cue in the catalogues were design and named by me. Ranges included, Rivers, Thieves and robbers, and names of Mystery just to make them sound interesting to buyer all over the world. I did have customers in 65 countries, something I was proud of.

All the best

Anthony

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                    Hi Anthony

Do you still have any cues?

If so, it would be great to see some pics!

Also. Which players did you manage?
                    Please share your funniest stories and experiences
                    I have no cues left I gave what I had to an Italian who is trying to open a snooker museum in Rome. My own cue was made by someone in Thailand and retailed at £500 in 1999. I still have but it didn't make me a better player but my cue looked good. We were the first company to show just the butts of cue in a catalogue so that the colour and woods could easily be seen. The butts are what sold cues so there was no use photographing them looking like matchsticks in a catalogue. We were also on the ball with the internet and having struck up a deal with air cargo companies I could give people world wide the full cost and time to get delivery. This allowed people to browse my catalogue online and give me an order without getting out of their chair or bed no matter where they lived. This was our success and not just retail but trade as well.

I have many tales to tell but my wife is telling me to get my dinner before it gets cold, so next time, I'll tell you about a match neither of us wanted to win.

All the best

Anthony

Comment

Originally Posted by Anthony Bridge View Post

I have no cues left I gave what I had to an Italian who is trying to open a snooker museum in Rome. My own cue was made by someone in Thailand and retailed at £500 in 1999. I still have but it didn't make me a better player but my cue looked good. We were the first company to show just the butts of cue in a catalogue so that the colour and woods could easily be seen. The butts are what sold cues so there was no use photographing them looking like matchsticks in a catalogue. We were also on the ball with the internet and having struck up a deal with air cargo companies I could give people world wide the full cost and time to get delivery. This allowed people to browse my catalogue online and give me an order without getting out of their chair or bed no matter where they lived. This was our success and not just retail but trade as well.

I have many tales to tell but my wife is telling me to get my dinner before it gets cold, so next time, I'll tell you about a match neither of us wanted to win.

All the best

Anthony
                      Happy days Anthony, thanks for your insight. These days people (including myself) want to see each layer of the shaft of the cue in rotation. Generally with Thai made cues they show the chevrons which usually point down the cue and align with the flat/badge on the butt , then the straight grain and then often a flat under Belly in the grain that has little grain at at all and is open wide.

Enjoy the dinner! 😉👍
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Great stuff Anthony!

I have similar stories when it comess to the laminated leather tip. Was selling them way before all these 'New Jacks' appeared...

Tell us more when you have time. As you can tell I'm not always checking on messages, but will eventually get around to reading any other stories you have
                        "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                        National Snooker Expo
                        25-27 October 2019
                        http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Happy days Anthony, thanks for your insight. These days people (including myself) want to see each layer of the shaft of the cue in rotation. Generally with Thai made cues they show the chevrons which usually point down the cue and align with the flat/badge on the butt , then the straight grain and then often a flat under Belly in the grain that has little grain at at all and is open wide.

Enjoy the dinner! 😉👍
                          i
                          During the 90's I had cues made in various places around the world, often the timber was from the same forests. I could look at a cue and recognise the wood and where it came from and have a 90% chance of getting it right. I could spot the fine timbers that made the butt and know whereabouts in the tree it came from.

Ebony from Africa was almost pure black in the centre of the tree and as it was taken nearer to the bark it got paler in colour and would contain creamy stripes within the black. Very close to the bark it would look like Rosewood (dark brown) with some thin stripes of black. Rosewood got it's name from the smell of the sawdust when it was sawn, it had a hint of Rose fragrance. Both Ebony and Rosewood are now protected and can no longer be sold for commercial purposes.

Canada provided most of the Maple cues and by looking at it, the wider the grain lines are the more southerly facing the tree is, and If I knew the forest I could tell whereabouts in the forest it came from. The better woods had a very close grain, meaning that the tree was North facing and got less sunshine and more colder weather, this made the timber very hard and made the best cues, the same could be said for the Ash cues with English Ash being a good one to choose. The gap between the lines of the grain is the annual growth rate of the tree so when a cue length is cut from top to bottom through the grain, one can see the annual growth for a few years of the tree's life.

Filipino Ash was usually wide grained with the temperature being higher, but this made the cues warp easier, so strict conditions were required for the makers to use well chosen Ash for my cheaper range.

Reading through this I bet you have fallen asleep by the time you got to "Africa"

All the best

Anthony

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Enjoy the dinner! 😉👍
                            Hi Cue Crafty

I can relate a match I had in one of the UK country open event between myself and a Canadian. All qualifying matches were played through the Summer at the Norbreck Hotel, On the sea front near to Blackpool. The hotel is massive and had a new carpet laid for the Summer. It was a nice smell when walking through the doors and even today when I smell a newly laid carpet I'm sent back to the memories of losing many matches at the Norbreck.

On this particular day I arrived about 40 minutes before the 2pm start and asked if a table was available to practice on. The table already had someone playing and he apologised and packed up ready to leave when he asked me if I was Anthony Bridge. It turned out that he was my opponent. He then got me to confirm that I was the man who sold cues and accessories. "Have you got a catalogue," he asked I returned in five minutes from the car park with price list and colour catalogue. He began to look through it and asked me several questions.. The practice table didn't get used and soon the announcement summoned us to our tables in our own little room with chairs for 30 spectators, there were none for us, nothing new there. After he won the first frame he came over to me to ask more questions about cues and cases. The referee looked a bit bewildered to see us both sat together, especially as he brought his chair over to my side of the table. After frame two I'm 2 - 0 down and he's sat with me again. We left the referee to set the balls up on his own when normally we would help him to get the balls on the table, but we had more important business going on.

Frame three followed suit and the interval almost gave us time to complete an order. I'd won a frame, by the way, so I'm only 3 - 1 down at the interval in this best of 9 match. It's now that he drops a bombshell on me. He has to lose because in three days time, the day of the next round, he has to be back in Canada to the opening of his new Pool Club in Toronto. I had never come back from 3 - 1 down so I'm not likely to do it now. But the game continues with referee having not seen a game like it. My opponent kept missing some easy shots and although I knew why he was missing I found that winning another frame was quite enjoyable. Now I'm only 3 - 2 down and he's just about completed his order and still the referee is having to pick out all he balls and reset the table.

Little does my opponent know, but I have a customer from Saudi Arabia coming to my premises on the same day as my opponent wants to go home. I can't let my customer down so I play a few billiard shots knock in a black close to the pocket after I potted a red and the white went on to pocket the black. After a few more shots like that I got the referee's sympathy about my bad luck. I'm 4 -2.down. I'm used to losing and I sometimes think I've got this off to an art form. I fail to get out of several snookers when he "puts me back in" after I've snookered him after a foul stroke of mine. I'm 26 behind in frame 7 when he's fluked a snooker, he's missed the green and I'm only just snookered behind the pink I try a Masse shot but I swerve too much and miss the green but glance the blue. I'm 31 behind with an easy green to pot and the brown over the pocket. I concede. Lost 5- 2 in one of my most satisfying games.

This match was between two players ranked about 600 neither of us were going to make any impact on the outcome of the tournament. My opponent heavily lost his next round and the winner lost in his next round. About 7 rounds later it was whittled down to the last 64, the heights of which we never reached. Neither of us won anything at snooker during our careers and no bets or money exchanges were made.
                            In my opinion the best player beat me and I would have been honest enough to try and win but delighted it turned out OK for both of us without bringing the game into disrepute.

PROLOGUE

After my opponent lost the next round, by midday he was on his way to Manchester Airport to catch the 4pm flight to Toronto which got him there at 5pm their time and over two hours to spare for the opening of his new club. I was paid in advance and his order was waiting for him when he arrived at his new club.
                            I met my Arab customer who was smartly dressed in suit and not walking round round Ashton-under-Lyne in traditional Arab dress. He gave me a £2000 order and got it the early part of the next week and both of us were satisfied as usual.

All the best

Tony

Comment

i
                              During the 90's I had cues made in various places around the world, often the timber was from the same forests. I could look at a cue and recognise the wood and where it came from and have a 90% chance of getting it right. I could spot the fine timbers that made the butt and know whereabouts in the tree it came from.

Ebony from Africa was almost pure black in the centre of the tree and as it was taken nearer to the bark it got paler in colour and would contain creamy stripes within the black. Very close to the bark it would look like Rosewood (dark brown) with some thin stripes of black. Rosewood got it's name from the smell of the sawdust when it was sawn, it had a hint of Rose fragrance. Both Ebony and Rosewood are now protected and can no longer be sold for commercial purposes.

Canada provided most of the Maple cues and by looking at it, the wider the grain lines are the more southerly facing the tree is, and If I knew the forest I could tell whereabouts in the forest it came from. The better woods had a very close grain, meaning that the tree was North facing and got less sunshine and more colder weather, this made the timber very hard and made the best cues, the same could be said for the Ash cues with English Ash being a good one to choose. The gap between the lines of the grain is the annual growth rate of the tree so when a cue length is cut from top to bottom through the grain, one can see the annual growth for a few years of the tree's life.

Filipino Ash was usually wide grained with the temperature being higher, but this made the cues warp easier, so strict conditions were required for the makers to use well chosen Ash for my cheaper range.

Reading through this I bet you have fallen asleep by the time you got to "Africa"

All the best

Anthony
                              Nope, I'm a cue nerd so that was wonderful to read, thanks. Hope you stay here a wee while. 🙏
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Hi Cue Crafty

I can relate a match I had in one of the UK country open event between myself and a Canadian. All qualifying matches were played through the Summer at the Norbreck Hotel, On the sea front near to Blackpool. The hotel is massive and had a new carpet laid for the Summer. It was a nice smell when walking through the doors and even today when I smell a newly laid carpet I'm sent back to the memories of losing many matches at the Norbreck.

On this particular day I arrived about 40 minutes before the 2pm start and asked if a table was available to practice on. The table already had someone playing and he apologised and packed up ready to leave when he asked me if I was Anthony Bridge. It turned out that he was my opponent. He then got me to confirm that I was the man who sold cues and accessories. "Have you got a catalogue," he asked I returned in five minutes from the car park with price list and colour catalogue. He began to look through it and asked me several questions.. The practice table didn't get used and soon the announcement summoned us to our tables in our own little room with chairs for 30 spectators, there were none for us, nothing new there. After he won the first frame he came over to me to ask more questions about cues and cases. The referee looked a bit bewildered to see us both sat together, especially as he brought his chair over to my side of the table. After frame two I'm 2 - 0 down and he's sat with me again. We left the referee to set the balls up on his own when normally we would help him to get the balls on the table, but we had more important business going on.

Frame three followed suit and the interval almost gave us time to complete an order. I'd won a frame, by the way, so I'm only 3 - 1 down at the interval in this best of 9 match. It's now that he drops a bombshell on me. He has to lose because in three days time, the day of the next round, he has to be back in Canada to the opening of his new Pool Club in Toronto. I had never come back from 3 - 1 down so I'm not likely to do it now. But the game continues with referee having not seen a game like it. My opponent kept missing some easy shots and although I knew why he was missing I found that winning another frame was quite enjoyable. Now I'm only 3 - 2 down and he's just about completed his order and still the referee is having to pick out all he balls and reset the table.

Little does my opponent know, but I have a customer from Saudi Arabia coming to my premises on the same day as my opponent wants to go home. I can't let my customer down so I play a few billiard shots knock in a black close to the pocket after I potted a red and the white went on to pocket the black. After a few more shots like that I got the referee's sympathy about my bad luck. I'm 4 -2.down. I'm used to losing and I sometimes think I've got this off to an art form. I fail to get out of several snookers when he "puts me back in" after I've snookered him after a foul stroke of mine. I'm 26 behind in frame 7 when he's fluked a snooker, he's missed the green and I'm only just snookered behind the pink I try a Masse shot but I swerve too much and miss the green but glance the blue. I'm 31 behind with an easy green to pot and the brown over the pocket. I concede. Lost 5- 2 in one of my most satisfying games.

This match was between two players ranked about 600 neither of us were going to make any impact on the outcome of the tournament. My opponent heavily lost his next round and the winner lost in his next round. About 7 rounds later it was whittled down to the last 64, the heights of which we never reached. Neither of us won anything at snooker during our careers and no bets or money exchanges were made.
                                In my opinion the best player beat me and I would have been honest enough to try and win but delighted it turned out OK for both of us without bringing the game into disrepute.

PROLOGUE

After my opponent lost the next round, by midday he was on his way to Manchester Airport to catch the 4pm flight to Toronto which got him there at 5pm their time and over two hours to spare for the opening of his new club. I was paid in advance and his order was waiting for him when he arrived at his new club.
                                I met my Arab customer who was smartly dressed in suit and not walking round round Ashton-under-Lyne in traditional Arab dress. He gave me a £2000 order and got it the early part of the next week and both of us were satisfied as usual.

All the best

Tony
                                One of the best posts I've read in a long long time. Thank you 👍

Did you play Bob Chaperon btw?
                                Last edited by Cue crafty; 25 September 2024, 08:17 PM.
                                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                                X