Myths and lies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cueman View Post

You are absolutely right, the problem is forums dedicated to one specific thing are going to struggle now when other sites such as Reddit exist. It's far easier to make one account and find any subject you want to discuss or be a part of than to make multiple accounts, to individual sites, get through the probation system of having to post X amount of times to get privileges to post pics and other stuff.

I also think many of the original people who sort of helped popularise this have covered every aspect, be it cues, equipment, tips, as well as lots of discussion on coaching. What was happening was new members joined and this became a fairly unwelcoming place. Anyone asking questions that had been asked many times were being bluntly told use the search function.

On top of that we've had a few idiots who have overstepped the mark, made libelous claims, and generally poor tone and respect. Ive met quite a few people in snooker like that, maybe there is something about people who play snooker that makes them bitter or arrogant, but that's another debate.

In short I lost interest in the site a while back, I felt it was going downhill and only pop in sporadically, more out of curiosity and because I've contributed a lot in pretty much 20 years of posting. I don't even play anymore,.I think the game itself is on its last legs in the UK anyway, for all they talk about increased viewing figures, the amateur game which is important for snooker to exist is dying. People are deluded if they think snooker has a bright future in the UK. I think by the end of the decade there will be barely anyone playing.
    I have felt in recent times that there is just us lot keeping up a bit of content here and there and it feels like to some extent we've become like the home guard in Dad's Army!! 🀣

Some new folks pass through here from time to time, and it great to hear from Texans , Aussies, Canadians, Chinese etc etc, but seems the majority of them realise there isn't much traffic here and once they have a few answers to questions they may have had, they drop off, fade away. I bet the membership count actually looks reasonably healthy, but the activity stat would look terrible!

In the past I usually take a small break from snooker when the good weather comes, and have in the past not come on here for a couple of months during those times. I'm actually worried now that if I did that this year there'd be nothing to come back to. Just a derelict Castle with a creaky door, echoes and spider webs everywhere.....
    Last edited by Cue crafty; 10 May 2023, 07:53 AM.
    βšͺ πŸ”΄πŸŸ‘πŸŸ’πŸŸ€πŸ”΅πŸ’—βš«πŸ•³οΈπŸ˜Ž

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      But I do conside one point, as I said to a friend only the other week, "if all the clubs are closing down (in the UK) where the **** are all these players playing?"
      Their own private set - ups i should think, there's no debate for me its the best way to go. Even at the best of clubs its a bit of a lottery that there won't be any loud eejits inconsiderate of putting you off or even if you'll get a table at all.
      If you can afford it play at home or set something up with friends.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post

Their own private set - ups i should think, there's no debate for me its the best way to go. Even at the best of clubs its a bit of a lottery that there won't be any loud eejits inconsiderate of putting you off or even if you'll get a table at all.
        If you can afford it play at home or set something up with friends.
        One hundred percent agree with this. Private clubs run by a few with limited membership with top class tables and a monthly or yearly fee, or snooker sheds at home, this is where a lot of players are playing now. I don't set foot in a club unless it's for a comp now.
        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 10 May 2023, 11:59 AM.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Always sad to see 'debate' that can't be had without abuse and name calling so the ban was inevitable, though he could have avoided it if he'd wanted or been able to.

I'd been half tempted to contact Wity to see if he might be that elusive source of my dream cue but I had been largely put off doing so by his abusive nature.

Large part of the quieter nature of forums is the vast amount of competition for our time these days across too many different social media platforms etc. Sadly I personally don't think that is a good thing because none of those fragments serve the game well.

eg. Recently heard about Ken Doherty coming to a local club for an exhibition. I only heard about this at the eleventh hour, purely by luck, through a non snooker friend and a faceache post. I managed to get some tickets and my wife and I went along with our 12 year old son. Brilliant evening, small venue but well attended, the best sort of exhibition IMHO. Anyway I digress... despite being on various snooker groups and here the event wasn't well publicised so I'd not seen it in a timely manner. Just one example of what I see as the info getting watered down too much across too many platforms.

As to the future, my lad is playing and learning both on my table at home and the odd visit to the local club. Not the next Ronnie/Judd but he is learning and most importantly enjoying.

Comment

I am from Belgium, so I dont know about the UK clubs. But they've been disappearing here too. There were 2 in the next town before.
            Combination of factors I think.
            1. Not all people who went to snooker halls are there purely for the snooker, more like a night out. "entertainment" halls popped up offering billiards, in combination with bowling and other stuff. More choice, less quality.
            2. The cost of operating a multi-table snooker club might have gone up significantly. You need a large space after all.
            3. Changes in the sports media landscape, and the media in general.

edit: this was in reply to trains and itsnoteasy

Comment

As for this thread and banning bilston cues. I think banning is not necessary. Just don't reply to it if it's not constructive or repetitive

Comment

Originally Posted by strobbekoen View Post
                As for this thread and banning bilston cues. I think banning is not necessary. Just don't reply to it if it's not constructive or repetitive
                This platform is all about sharing opinions, useful information and general Snooker chat isn’t it? If you can’t comment on a post in a completely non-offensive way, as I did, without getting abuse, then what is the point of it? He got himself banned over a piece of chalk. How ridiculous! It was his choice though.

Comment

Chalk dust is chalk dust and maybe you don't see it because you eyesight is not too clever but when someone says the Taom chalk does not leave a mess then yeah muppet is a fair description of the poster.

Wity was spot on it doesn't bloody evaporate.

Comment

Where's Foggy and Compo? Drinking the last of the summer wine Wity?
                    βšͺ πŸ”΄πŸŸ‘πŸŸ’πŸŸ€πŸ”΅πŸ’—βš«πŸ•³οΈπŸ˜Ž

Comment

Originally Posted by Neil Taperell View Post
                      Unfortunately , I’ve decided to ban him .

Just because he thinks he’s the oracle on all things snooker , and no one else is entitled to an opinion . It doesn’t give him the right to be rude to people .

I like banter , but I can see members not wanting to post for fear of abuse from him .

I was polite in my post , and he doesn’t know me at all ....... so I don’t need to be called a Goon .
                      not saying he is, but to watch out for the finger bann

Comment

saw it coming lol

Comment

just dont insult people, its easy

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            Just my opinion Starsky, I use Taom, it's great (so I'm in the muppet brigade lol) but it's ridiculously expensive. I don't think that's too controversial is it?Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I've never thought about it as taking sides, I'm too old for that playground stuff. ​​​​​​
                            you say it's expensive but i've been using the same block of Taom V10 for over 12 months - i'd say that's decent value actually
                            "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

you say it's expensive but i've been using the same block of Taom V10 for over 12 months - i'd say that's decent value actually
                              Your obviously a muppet who isn’t playing enough Tom

Comment

Originally Posted by Peter Clegg View Post

Chalk dust is chalk dust and maybe you don't see it because you eyesight is not too clever but when someone says the Taom chalk does not leave a mess then yeah muppet is a fair description of the poster.

Wity was spot on it doesn't bloody evaporate.
                                Isn’t Peter Clegg modern Cockney rhyming slang for something ?

Comment

Working...
                                X