X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plain ebony butt

Hi all

It's a kind of silly question

I'm wondering why many many pro players only prefer to get a plain ebony butt in stead of a face splice, except few like Ronnie.

Is it only preference? or players just want the cue making to be as fast as possible, as the splicing takes time?

? I think a plain butt is the exception with the pros, not the norm?

I would say it is purely down to personal preference.
    But what you say could also be the case, time-saving, but then when ROS wants a new cue after chewing his old one, there always seems to be one waiting for him in John's workshop?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

There's not much to wrong with a plain solid ebony butt, no splicing to crack (if you leave it in your car too long! ) Fancy splicing is just the same as go faster stripes on a car. They do not add any value to the playability of a cue they are there for aesthetics, cost way more because of the craftsmanship involved so add to that lower waiting times and you probably answer your question.

Less is more to a pro as well, they don't need to look cool with exotic woods etc when they knock tons in one after another.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        There's not much to wrong with a plain solid ebony butt, no splicing to crack (if you leave it in your car too long! ) Fancy splicing is just the same as go faster stripes on a car. They do not add any value to the playability of a cue they are there for aesthetics, cost way more because of the craftsmanship involved so add to that lower waiting times and you probably answer your question.

Less is more to a pro as well, they don't need to look cool with exotic woods etc when they knock tons in one after another.
        From my notes only about a dozen players have a plain butt out of the 130

I am sure my cue does 0-60 in 5sec with the splices?
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

From my notes only about a dozen players have a plain butt out of the 130

I am sure my cue does 0-60 in 5sec with the splices?
          Lols, yes I think it's mainly the "cue swappers" you will see with plain butts. A lot of the guys have their old trusty which they guard with Thier lives.

I'd love to know if your notes include how many of the 130 use a long term cue. 🤔
          Last edited by Cue crafty; 25 November 2023, 06:10 PM.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by suhaib View Post
            Is it only preference?
            Ebony timber is getting most difficult to obtain. Hence all of the exotic looking splices to make it look sophisticated.

Comment

Working...
            X