Lifeless new cue or tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifeless new cue or tip?

Recently purchased a GBL one piece special from GBL (just bases on specs) and whilst it's a lovely looking cue, it's quite beefy/thick shaft for the weight (29.9mm butt, 9.7mm century titanium ferrule and weighs 18 1/2 oz).

the cue is smooth, but feels lifeless to me, almost like its lacking density and crisp feel. I'd describe it as feeling sluggish and not nimble.

Fitted a g3 tip which feels really spongy compared to my old cue also fitted with a g3.

I've ordered a kamui MH black to see if it changes the lifelessness and the cues going to be slimmed down, especially as the diameter at the bridge (11-12 inches is 14.0 - 14.2mm), compared to the old cue 13mm.

Will the slimming/tapering help with the lack of feel, or maybe a kamui over a century g3?

Tips from the same manufacturer can vary, sounds to me like you really like your old cue and want your new one to be the same but just wanted something new.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Hi Vmax, yes the I took to the old cue (cue craft marksman) but they have rubbish joints, and in trying to line it up properly tightened to much and it split the butt, hence the new cue purchase.

I will try a new tip, but the gbl cue has the century titanium ferrule, so was maybe expecting a more punchy, solid feel - it's a nice cue, but flat. Shall see how we get on with new harder tip and re tapering.

Cheers

Comment

Chaz, I’ve worked on a few of these cues, and yes they’re rather chunky or as I likened it to the taper of a dad bod.
        I took meat from the centre, and the cue livened up a bit bit, but lost up to 1/2 oz so, was like a totally different cue.
        Remember less is more, when tapering cus, you can’t put the wood back.

Comment

Spot on j6uk, that's it, like a dad bod. It's going to Tony Glover next week and see what I end up with, I guess try not to take too much off, but the chunky bridge feels wrong to me.

thanks for the advice and glad im not alone in my observation

Comment

if you have a digital caliper I’d be interested to know the measurements from the centre, like; 30,46 and 74cm down from the tip.

Comment

74cm down (57.5 inch cue) is 21.6mm.

End of the ebony, 46cm up from the butt is 25.5mm

Comment

Originally Posted by Chazwhit View Post
                Hi Vmax, yes the I took to the old cue (cue craft marksman) but they have rubbish joints, and in trying to line it up properly tightened to much and it split the butt, hence the new cue purchase.

I will try a new tip, but the gbl cue has the century titanium ferrule, so was maybe expecting a more punchy, solid feel - it's a nice cue, but flat. Shall see how we get on with new harder tip and re tapering.

Cheers
                Mr. Glover could easily make a new butt for your old cue's shaft or even make your old shaft fit your new cue's butt, something to think about. If you still have your old cue and wish to move it on I would be interested in trying to revive it if Mr. Glover or yourself don't want to save it. Titanium ferrules make absolutely no differecne to how a cue plays or feels, the ferrule is there for protection only and manufacturers are simply making daft statements about throw and deflection to sell them.
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by Chazwhit View Post
                  74cm down (57.5 inch cue) is 21.6mm.

End of the ebony, 46cm up from the butt is 25.5mm
                  Not too bad dims.
                  without a cue in my hands I’m reluctant to advise on what to do, but I wouldn’t go below 21mm from the center.
                  Regardless of tapping balance or weight the woods will ultimately behave as it’s own character..
                  Remember less is more. Wise words I learned, Shoutout JP

You can always flick the cue on, to a player it may suit.
                  Last edited by j6uk; 27 January 2024, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X