Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crack on cue shaft is it fixable ?

Hi everyone
    I am used to this cue so much, recently cue was making noise thought its the tip, but looked at it and its the shaft the crack starts from cue joint.
    can i fix this ? how to fix this? should i use filler then glue ?

please share your experience
    thank you
    shared the pic of it
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Yes any cue maker can fix that. It doesn't look serious to me, if it doesn't affect how it plays I wouldn't worry about it that much.
    I'm no expert ,hopefully one of the cue makers on here can give you advice, if you post up your general location they may be able to recommend someone local to you.
    Did you over tighten it? How did it happen?
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      Yes any cue maker can fix that. It doesn't look serious to me, if it doesn't affect how it plays I wouldn't worry about it that much.
      I'm no expert ,hopefully one of the cue makers on here can give you advice, if you post up your general location they may be able to recommend someone local to you.
      Did you over tighten it? How did it happen?
      i always take care of the cue, just heard noise today and saw the crack. yeah i cannot play with it as it makes noise and vibrates the cue.
      contacted few local shops but they dont repair cues.

Comment

Weather conditions can cause that, damp and heat etc. Probably need the joint taken out then glue the crack which can be done with super glue left in the fridge for a day (cold super glue pulls into a crack) then epoxy glue the joint back in.

Hopefully vmax will be able to advise exactly.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Joint needs to be removed first using a soldering iron to heat the metal so the epoxy glue melts, there will be a distinct smell of melting glue when it's hot enough, then screx on the butt and pull the joint out. Ebony should be planed off and a new piece spliced on clamping it tight until the PVA wood glue sets (overnight) and work the new splice with a plane and sandpaper to match the rest of the splices. The joint can then be re-fitted with epoxy glue, make sure all old glue is removed from the hole as glue doesn't stick to glue and the cue then needs to be locked straight while the glue sets. I lock my 3/4 split cues straight in my lathe and leave them for a couple of hours as I use 30 minute epoxy but if the cue isn't locked straight then it will be crooked at the joint.

Top tip : draw a line across the shaft, joint and butt so that the shaft and butt can be aligned exactly where they were before the joint was removed, remove excess epoxy while wet with a cloth soaked in white spirit, then re- oil the cue completely.

If the crack is in the ash as well and goes beyond the ebony splices then a small hole (2mm) needs to be drilled where the crack ends to stop it spreading any further, this small hole will be covered by new splices that go beyond the old ones.

It's probably just the ebony that's cracked though and then just the one splice that needs to be replaced but if it's also the ash underneath then the small hole must be drilled to stop it spreading.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
          X