Out of curiousity........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of curiousity........

Those of you who have cues which cost 200+ what are your average breaks?

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Those of you who have cues which cost 200+ what are your average breaks?
    About 2 balls off the break and quite often 8, to finish the game off.

I play English 8ball pool.
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
      About 2 balls off the break and quite often 8, to finish the game off.

I play English 8ball pool.
      lol - on average i pot whats there!
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

just because you have a good cue doesn't mean you are going to be a sensational breakbuilder. To answer your question, on average 30 - 40 but the odd 50 - 60 now and then.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy_08 View Post
          just because you have a good cue doesn't mean you are going to be a sensational breakbuilder. To answer your question, on average 30 - 40 but the odd 50 - 60 now and then.
          that's why i made this post because i get the impression on here that people on there think that a good cue is more important than a players ability.

Comment

lol no its not, but as a rule if you see a guy in the club knocking in tons he will have a good cue.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Maybe to some people, but that is just naive, some people on this forum own a good cue because they appreciate the craftsmanship and hard work that has went into that cue.

Comment

Speaking as an ex-cue addict I can add my 'two-pennyworth' and confirm that the actual cue has very little to do with ability. Some of the very best players that I have seen use cues that would sell on ebay for about £50!! I have spent literally thousands of pounds over the last few years and have thoroughly enjoyed trying out over a hundred different cues ranging from the very best that modern cuemakers can produce to very old antique cues and I started off as a typical 50-60 break player with the VERY occasional break in the 80s and I am still exactly the same player now, the cue makes absolutely no difference to my play its just really satisfying to play with a cue that I know is just about as good as a cuemaker can make it.
                Many years ago I was best mates with a snooker pro who could knock century breaks in all day and the cue that he had played with all his life was broken into many pieces and my mate just literally picked up a cue from the rack in a snooker club and used that cue for the next few years.....made absolutely no difference to his snooker or breakbuilding. If you are a player who is naturally able to push the cue forward in a straight line then you can play snooker to a high standard with just about any cue you use.

Oldgit
                'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
                  Speaking as an ex-cue addict I can add my 'two-pennyworth' and confirm that the actual cue has very little to do with ability. Some of the very best players that I have seen use cues that would sell on ebay for about £50!! I have spent literally thousands of pounds over the last few years and have thoroughly enjoyed trying out over a hundred different cues ranging from the very best that modern cuemakers can produce to very old antique cues and I started off as a typical 50-60 break player with the VERY occasional break in the 80s and I am still exactly the same player now, the cue makes absolutely no difference to my play its just really satisfying to play with a cue that I know is just about as good as a cuemaker can make it.
                  Many years ago I was best mates with a snooker pro who could knock century breaks in all day and the cue that he had played with all his life was broken into many pieces and my mate just literally picked up a cue from the rack in a snooker club and used that cue for the next few years.....made absolutely no difference to his snooker or breakbuilding. If you are a player who is naturally able to push the cue forward in a straight line then you can play snooker to a high standard with just about any cue you use.

Oldgit
                  I think you and I may have a lot in common, Oldgit!!
                  Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Maybe to some people, but that is just naive, some people on this forum own a good cue because they appreciate the craftsmanship and hard work that has went into that cue.
                    Heartily agreed, mate!

Comment

I think you and I may have a lot in common, Oldgit!!
                      LOL!! Yes, not many members on this forum have had as many cues as me over the last few years.......apart from adr147!!

Snooker is a 'mind game'. If you buy a new cue, no matter how cheap or expensive you tend to concentrate differently which is why sometimes you pick up a strange cue and play wonderful snooker with it.

Oldgit
                      'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Oh, don't I know it! I've done this quite a few times, myself.

When I was a young boy, I went to my grandad's bowling club and played snooker with him. On the wall was a rack full of beautiful old cues; I picked out one and played with it that day and the next few times I went with him. I was about 12 then and I'm nearly 39 now, and I can still remember how that cue played!! I've been looking for that feel ever since and I still haven't found it, even though I've had some frankly wonderful cues in my hands. Perhaps it's a lost cause, but I'm still searching!!

Keith

Comment

Oh, don't I know it! I've done this quite a few times, myself.

When I was a young boy, I went to my grandad's bowling club and played snooker with him. On the wall was a rack full of beautiful old cues; I picked out one and played with it that day and the next few times I went with him. I was about 12 then and I'm nearly 39 now, and I can still remember how that cue played!! I've been looking for that feel ever since and I still haven't found it, even though I've had some frankly wonderful cues in my hands. Perhaps it's a lost cause, but I'm still searching!!

Keith
                          About three years ago I received a brand new cue from an Australian cuemaker. He had made it to my exact specs and it felt lovely. I changed the tip, and took it down to my club and it was the most perfect cue that I had ever played with. I played possibly the best snooker I had ever played with that cue and for about 6 months I was in love with that cue. I was supremely confident and for the first time in ages I could forget about the cue and concentrate on my game. Everything was perfect during those 6 months and then one day I turned up to play a match and its difficult to explain but the cue had just lost its magic!! Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? But the more I tried to explain it in my head by just thinking it was an off day the worse that I played with that cue......eventually I just sold it on ebay and continued my tortured search for the 'perfect cue' until finally I was cured by Professor Trevor White who sent me the best cue that I had ever held and that is my present playing cue.......and now I KNOW for absolute certainty that cues do not come any better than this one so I also KNOW that my ability is what is at fault!!

Oldgit:snooker:
                          'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

wow.....you must be able to charm the birds out of the trees to be able to blag trevor's own playing cue off of him

Comment

wow.....you must be able to charm the birds out of the trees to be able to blag trevor's own playing cue off of him
                              LOL......it took me almost a year but I finally wore him down and he relented!! ......worth the wait though, the cue is magnificent!!
                              'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Working...
                              X