No announcement yet.

Out of curiousity........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, unfortunately I've seen too often a newcomer to the game buy a cue worth $600 to $800 Aust. & get frustrated because they still play poorly where he would have been better off spending that money on some coaching. "A good tradesman never blames his tools"

Comment

At the end of the day, if you can afford to buy nice cues, go right ahead! If you work hard and earn decent money, 400-500 is nothing to worry your bank balance.

None of us on here are pro's, (well very few), so we all fall in to the category of playing snooker for pleasure. If buying nice cues increases that pleasure, then so be it. What's the point of going to work every day if you can't spend your money on what you like.

People who don't like others spending money on nice cues tend to be jealous. They don't like people buying anything nicer than they can afford, whether it be top golf clubs, fishing rods, cars, houses etc!

If you can afford to buy lots of nice cues you are obviously quite successful in life. Sadly this is probably the reason you don't have much time to become great at snooker though!!

Comment

I am currently using machine spliced master cue,It is one of the best cue that I have ever used I make regular 70-80 breaks with it.I have used a couple of woolridge cues,1 parris cue,3 peradons and 4-5 master cues in 9 yrs of playing snooker but I have finally settled with this cue.It just goes to show that what suits you is the best cue for you,I re-finished this cue myself and its now silky smooth as any other top brand cue.
        My deep screw shot
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

hi im relatively new to the game and have ordered a wooldridge shark which i get tomorrow, i dont expect it to make me play better, i am buying it for the future as he is a great cue maker and i would love to own one of his cues which i can play with and treasure for a long time

Comment

I now play with a house cue, machine spliced, maple. I made a 104 with it, and just a 64 yestersday. I love it!

BTW, I read through these pages and only one poster answered the question, which is "what is your highest break?"
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
              I now play with a house cue, machine spliced, maple. I made a 104 with it, and just a 64 yestersday. I love it!

BTW, I read through these pages and only one poster answered the question, which is "what is your highest break?"
              So based on you 104 and 64 yesterday, how many other breaks did you have that you can average that out? Its a very difficult question to ask. If I'm playing really well I might still in say 10 frames have a high break of 70 odd with loads of 20's and 30's, yet on another day I could score a load of 60+ breaks frame after frame. I've even had 2 tons in 3 frames which should have been 3 in a row but I missed a tricky last red on 96. I think that is why nobody answered the average break question, it really has little significance.

Comment

[QUOTE=checkSide;361684]People who don't like others spending money on nice cues tend to be jealous. They don't like people buying anything nicer than they can afford, whether it be top golf clubs, fishing rods, cars, houses etc!

Its not a matter of being jealous at seeing a new player buying an expensive cue, its a matter of seeing a new player expecting that cue to be a magic wand thinking it will automatically make him play better.

Many years ago I chose, off the shelf, a $75 1 piece laminated cue over a $150 powerglide maple cue because it was straight and it felt right and still made reasonable breaks with it (highest 72).

I played an Aussie Champ. just before he turned pro, he used an old Dufferin Canadian maple rack cue bent as & managed to knock in a 60+ break. which proved to me there & then it is not the cue that maketh the player

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                  haha i don't mind :P i intended to this thread to lead into this kind of discussion so maybe i should have made it more clear in my first post lol

Comment

Originally Posted by davipp View Post

Its not a matter of being jealous at seeing a new player buying an expensive cue, its a matter of seeing a new player expecting that cue to be a magic wand thinking it will automatically make him play better.

Many years ago I chose, off the shelf, a $75 1 piece laminated cue over a $150 powerglide maple cue because it was straight and it felt right and still made reasonable breaks with it (highest 72).

I played an Aussie Champ. just before he turned pro, he used an old Dufferin Canadian maple rack cue bent as & managed to knock in a 60+ break. which proved to me there & then it is not the cue that maketh the player
                    agree 100% with this

Comment

Originally Posted by davipp View Post

Without sounding rude, this is hardly a penetrating observation.

No one actually believes that a cue has magic ball potting abilities, unless they are very very stupid. An Aussie champ uses a bent rack cue. Good for him. Ronnie O'Sullivan uses the best John Parris Ultimate the man can make. What do these facts tell you?

The point is a lot of people just like quality cues. The same as people like quality cars, or quality anything in fact!

That's why people who can afford them, buy them.

Comment

And people who can't... Cry.. :'(
                        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                          So based on you 104 and 64 yesterday, how many other breaks did you have that you can average that out? Its a very difficult question to ask. If I'm playing really well I might still in say 10 frames have a high break of 70 odd with loads of 20's and 30's, yet on another day I could score a load of 60+ breaks frame after frame. I've even had 2 tons in 3 frames which should have been 3 in a row but I missed a tricky last red on 96. I think that is why nobody answered the average break question, it really has little significance.
                          First of all, I did not ask this question--whether it is significant or not--it was what the poster who started this thread asked in the first post.

Secondly, I agree with you, that sometimes I may have more say 40+ and such, but sometimes, I have nothing to show for.

I am still learning the game and there are so much to learn, hopfully, one day, I can have 2 tons in 3 frames like you did.

About the average break question, do they have some statistic in tournament showing these kind of things. I tend to think that it is significant to those who want to know the statistical side of it.

Come to think of it, the person who started the thread probably want to see if most people spending more money on cues are just bangers, who buy for the sake of buying, without the ability to tell if a cue plays well or not. But then a person can buy a cue simply for the love of the work, or just because he can afford it. In that sense, I agree with the insignificant comment, as far as the relationship between highest/average break and price of cue is concerned. But I have to respectfully disagree that the data in itself is insignicant.

For one thing, the average break serves to show how consistent you are as a player. Dont you agree?
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I agree that the highest break can serve to show the standard of a player but I don't think average break can firstly be accurately guaged or has any significance due to where the balls go in certain frames and whether it becomes a tactical affair. Consistancy in scoring say regular 50+ breaks or even 100+ breaks is a better reflection of consistancy. I probably get on average 3-4 50+ breaks in say every 10 frames, hopefully get a century chance or two but that usually depends on the split of the reds early on.

Its impossible to say based on that what my average break is, I reckon most professionals average around 30-45 points during a tournament, so I think most club players would be around the 10-20 points at best.

Comment

Yes, I have been thinking about this and I am not really sure how to find out my average break say in a match of best of 9. Do I count only over 50 breaks, 30 breaks, or all breaks? Do I average them per game, or in a session?
                              Highest break is an indication of what one is able to achieve when he is playing his best, with a bit of luck on his side; however, one is only as good as the game he is playing.
                              I am working towards becoming more consistent in making 40+ breaks in my match. That is my short term goal right now. If I can make 40+ break say every 2 to 3 frames I would be quite happy. For me, highest break does not mean really that much because I do not play that well all the time.
                              Cueman, you sound like a better player than I am, and I appreciate your remark.
                              Out of curosity, do you change cues a lot? What cue do you use? Do you believe you could spend more money on a cue to make you play better?
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Over 20 centuries and whenever I go for a proper practice for 3-4 hours I will generaly have a few breaks between 50 + 60
                                Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

Working...
                                X