Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are 3/4 joints preferred in 2 piece cues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are 3/4 joints preferred in 2 piece cues?

This is a rather amateur-ish question from an amateur... why does it seem that when choosing a 2 piece cue, a 3/4 joint style is preferred by most (including pros) to the 50/50 split?

Originally Posted by Chunqx View Post
    This is a rather amateur-ish question from an amateur... why does it seem that when choosing a 2 piece cue, a 3/4 joint style is preferred by most (including pros) to the 50/50 split?
    It might be because centre jointed cues are not as strong a 3/4 jointed cues. There's also the issue with the use of extensions, which were mainly used in the jointed section of the cue itself in the past, enabling players to have full reach and scope over the table. Also, as time has passed it has become more preferable for players to use slightly heavier cues, which are naturally more available in 3/4 cues.

Fashion is also an aspect of it, with Jimmy White making this type of cue more and more popular, just as it might be arguable that Ronnie has made the use of one piece cues more popular again.

Who knows for sure, but it's likely to be some combination of the reasons above.

Comment

For 50/50 split jointed cues, i only go for pool cue, i used before 50/50 split jointed on snooker cue, found it not so strong for me and the balance are more to front, i prefer 1 piece and 3/4 jointed, 1 piece is my favourite, 2nd is 3/4 jointed with 12'' butt
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5NJt...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObX6G...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNirO2VkH4
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1uYI...eature=related

Comment

I want to buy pool cue... What is better for pool butt jointed or 50/50?
        You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
        BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Originally Posted by vucko117 View Post
          I want to buy pool cue... What is better for pool butt jointed or 50/50?
          Which kind of pool is it for, vucko?
          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
            Which kind of pool is it for, vucko?
            swimming ?

Comment

And a big thank you to the man in the know ........ Ssspottsss aaanndddd SSSttrrrrrriiiiiiippeess!! Lmao!!
              Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

it is for 9 ball pool. But you have already answered to me on cue design!!!!!!!!!!! thread
                BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Yes, but I wanted to check, that's all! My answer is still the same, by the way! :snooker:

Comment

yes well I was thinking the same thing but I was not sure because I never saw any pool player to use 3/4 joint cue
                    BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Originally Posted by vucko117 View Post
                      yes well I was thinking the same thing but I was not sure because I never saw any pool player to use 3/4 joint cue
                      That's because it's not usual, but I'm pretty sure the cues made by Robin Cook for Mark Gray (pool pro) are 3/4 and they work for him. Robin also makes cues for Karen Corr which are 50/50 and I think she's been quite successful with them too.

If you are used to playing pool with a 50/50 cue then why not continue? If you want a 3/4 pool cue there's nothing wrong with that either. You could also play with a 1 piece, too. As long as the cue is well-made and suits you, there's no right nor wrong answer.

Comment

|I have heard a lot of people say that they do not like 50-50 split cues because the weight of the joint can effect the balance and bring it more forward. Could it be that the extra width of the shaft found on 9 ball cues makes them less affected by the weight of the joint? I might be talking rubbish here just a thought as i have never owned a proper 9 ball cue.
                        One thing to be aware of is the joint in the middle may well sit exactly where your chin is. This is more of a factor in cheap cues where the joint is not flush however i know quite a few people that find this distracting.
                        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Most 9 ball cues have a very forward balance anyway, about 19" being the norm. I think 58" is the standard height for a US pool cue. A lot of players hold the cue very far forward up the butt, which is something I've always wondered about. Why do they not get a cue custom-made for them? Most of the top pros now hail from the Philippines and Taiwan and they're not tall and yet they have standard sized cues.

Comment

I have always wondered the same thing keith, they have these wraps on the cue a full foot up from the end? American pool cues remain a mystery to me...
                            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                              A lot of players hold the cue very far forward up the butt, which is something I've always wondered about. Why do they not get a cue custom-made for them? Most of the top pros now hail from the Philippines and Taiwan and they're not tall and yet they have standard sized cues.
                              Well, at pool there are a lot more different styles. Lots of varying bridge lengths and grip positions. Some use old style upright stances with very short like 4" bridges, while newer players are influenced by snooker a lot and now you have 15" bridges, low down stances...etc.
                              Players learn to play with standard sized cues as children, so they get used to it. As they grow up, they move grip position backwards. It would make sense for short Asian top pro's to use shorter cues, but they don't...I guess they don't want to change something that works.
                              Some taller players do grip their cues at the very butt end.

Why is there no wrap until the butt end? I have no idea. It is probably tradition. Mystery solved?

Oh, and pool players wonder why do snooker cues need to have spliced butt? Is there a snooker cue with completely round butt?

Comment

Working...
                              X