Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are 3/4 joints preferred in 2 piece cues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=ace man;369709]Well, at pool there are a lot more different styles. Lots of varying bridge lengths and grip positions. Some use old style upright stances with very short like 4" bridges, while newer players are influenced by snooker a lot and now you have 15" bridges, low down stances...etc.
    Players learn to play with standard sized cues as children, so they get used to it. As they grow up, they move grip position backwards. It would make sense for short Asian top pro's to use shorter cues, but they don't...I guess they don't want to change something that works.
    Some taller players do grip their cues at the very butt end.

Why is there no wrap until the butt end? I have no idea. It is probably tradition. Mystery solved?

Oh, and pool players wonder why do snooker cues need to have spliced butt? Is there a snooker cue with completely round butt?[/QUOTE]

You mean why do snooker cues have a chamfered butt. Traditionally, to have a flat place to put the badge and so as the player can always hold the cue in the same place. But, yes, it's possible to have a completely round butt on a snooker cue. I believe Jimmy White is the best-known snooker player to have such a thing. :snooker:
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

The balance and feel of the cue are very important. Typically the balance in a conventional cue is around 14-16 inches from the end of the butt. Splitting the cue in half then jointing it there will cause the balance to then be thrown way too far forward (in my opinion) the 3/4 joints are usually placed in such a way that they actually promote the conventional balance point as well as making for a more compact cue when unscrewd, for the usuall travelling conveniences.

Comment

Originally Posted by ABCsnooker View Post
        ...... Typically the balance in a conventional cue is around 14-16 inches from the end of the butt.....
        I don't know what brand of cues you play with but a cue with a 14" or 15" balance point would be absolutely awful to play with, far too butt heavy. I think a more typical balance point is in the range of 16 1/2" to 18" (18" being ideal !!)

Comment

Sorry that was actually a typo. It should have read 16-18. Personally I think 17 inches is preferrable but like most things where people have a preferrence it's what works for you.

Comment

Working...
          X