Lose weight now? ask you How...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lose weight now? ask you How...

My current playing cue is 18 3/4 oz and well forward balanced. I really play well with it. Had couple of frames with a mate cue which is 18 1/4 oz. didn't like the cue as mine but felt that when I am in the scoring zone and play this soft shots around the black area, this 0.5 oz does make a different and it felt better for this kind of shots. my questions are: 1. Did you have the same feeling? 2. if I would decide to reduce this 0.5 oz from my cue, Do I have to send to the maker (Kevin Muncaster) the whole cue or sending the butt will be enough? Its 3/4 cue jointed at 16". Anyway. I am not sure if its good thing to do as I am playing my best snooker with this cue. TIA
    Last edited by Asi; 16 March 2009, 05:50 PM.
    Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

I prefer a lighter cue especially on delicate shots with low power.
    For me this gives more feeling...

Maybe you can ask Kev to make you a just new butt to be connected to your cue.
    In this case you would not risk to spoil your cue and save cost for shipping to UK.
    I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

I used to play with a light cue, then went up to one with a weight of 18oz. That one got weighted up to 22oz, it was lovely until it split at the joint, (dodgy work by a bad cue maker who is now bust... Thankfully). My current cue is 18oz but would like something heavier. I find it easier in and amoungst the reds.

Comment

I used to play with a 19oz cue but over the past 5 years have gradually reduced that weight to my current playing cue which is 17.5oz

If the cue is well balanced then it is more important than weight. Those jokers you see advertising their 21oz cue on ebay are deluded.

If you have a well balanced cue and a decent action you will should be able to get the required movement on the cueball

The heavier the cue in my opinion the harder it is to keep the cue on a good line and requires more effort from the player

I doubt many pros have a cue much more than 18oz. Agreed they have better more responsive cloths which helps but I still stand by my opinion and guess many of the cuemakers would agree
        Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

Your experience is not unusual.

I feel it's true of many people who believe that more weight = more power, then try "good" cues with far less weight, only to realise that they've not been gaining much at all by using the heavier cues.

As for the pro's cues, I'd agree that not many will be using cues of over 18oz's, and yes, those cloths make life SOOOOO much easier to move the ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
            Your experience is not unusual.

I feel it's true of many people who believe that more weight = more power, then try "good" cues with far less weight, only to realise that they've not been gaining much at all by using the heavier cues.

As for the pro's cues, I'd agree that not many will be using cues of over 18oz's, and yes, those cloths make life SOOOOO much easier to move the ball.
            Referring average club tables and cloths, what would you consider light cue? 17 - 19 oz? and 20 - 21 oz as heavy cue?
            Last edited by Asi; 16 March 2009, 08:46 PM.

Comment

It really makes no difference what the cloth is like, heavy cue / light cue etc.

A cue could be considered light in weight if it's below maybe 16.75 -17oz's, and conversely, on the heavy side if it gets much above 18.5oz's.

Most players would choose a cue somewhere between these weights, although there are the exceptions to that, with some liking VERY light cues of under 16oz's and some wanting cues of over 19.5oz's. They are in the minority though.

Comment

Thank you Trevor and Nick - helpful as always!

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
                  I prefer a lighter cue especially on delicate shots with low power.
                  For me this gives more feeling...

Maybe you can ask Kev to make you a just new butt to be connected to your cue.
                  In this case you would not risk to spoil your cue and save cost for shipping to UK.
                  Thanks mate. I will leave it as it is for now. I play very well with it and afraid of changing it. I guess this issue is just another symptom of cues addicted like us.

Comment

The Montignac diet often does the trick

Comment

Originally Posted by Asi View Post
                      Thanks mate. I will leave it as it is for now. I play very well with it and afraid of changing it. I guess this issue is just another symptom of cues addicted like us.
                      Me? A cue addict? I don't know what you are talking about...

The idea was to get a second butt for your cue. You keep the butt you have and play well and get a second one to test another weight.

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
                        Me? A cue addict? I don't know what you are talking about...

The idea was to get a second butt for your cue. You keep the butt you have and play well and get a second one to test another weight.
                        I see...sounds like a good ides which only "non cue addict "could come up with. . will talk to kev.

Comment

Hi Asi, as you can see I found your thread. I'd agree with the others and not change your current cue at the moment, but what I'd do is get one of the new ones made at about 17.5 - 18oz and with a nice balance point and see what you think of that.

Balance is so much more important than weight and when you play with a well-balanced, lighter cue then you'll soon see that you get through the white much faster and so you'll get much more response from your shots. Also, I do feel that with a lighter cue you get much more feel and those dinky little shots around the black become so much easier to master.

As you're getting new cues made at the mo, then you can experiment with them and then, if you feel that you'd like to make changes to your Northwest cue, you can send it back to Kev. Unfortunately, he'll need the full cue, I should imagine; however, this is where having spare cues is an advantage, isn't it?

Hope this helps,
                          Keith
                          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

It helps much more than you can imagine Keith...! always glad to hear your POV, and again, its spot on! Thanks mate.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                              Balance is so much more important than weight and when you play with a well-balanced, lighter cue then you'll soon see that you get through the white much faster and so you'll get much more response from your shots. Also, I do feel that with a lighter cue you get much more feel and those dinky little shots around the black become so much easier to master.
                              This is exactly what I meant, but here it is put in perfect words.
                              When I try another cue (sometimes I do ) it is much easier to get used to it when it is well balanced but has another weight. If two cues have the same weight but different balance it is much harder for me to play with it.

But playing is even worse when i am not well balanced...

Comment

Working...
                              X